"Exercise earned calories"

Options
mccbabe1
mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
hi, i'm new to MFP..todays day 4! anyway.. im just wondering how many of you 'eat' your exercise calories? do you eat them ALL or most or none or depending.... the calories earned goes back into our 'bank'.. but im wondering.. will I loose a lot more if i dont eat them back?.. hmm.... i have 430 calories still left! (its 10 at nt in cali) and im lil hungry.. but its late!! argh :/

thanks!

Erin

Replies

• BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat all my exercise calories (although some days I do!!!) but I usually eat some of them because your body need fuel to exercise. When I wasn't eating enough calories I got really tired and wasn't able to keep up the exercise.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're asking the question, it's best to go by the numbers and try to eat as close as possible to your target . Depending on how much you want to geek out on this stuff, you may eventually come to learn your TDEE, BMR, and figure out your own customized calorie deficit. Until then, just eat until "0 calories remaining". If you go a little over or a little under, like up to 100, it's fine.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    hi, i'm new to MFP..todays day 4! anyway...... i have 430 calories still left! (its 10 at nt in cali) and im lil hungry.. but its late!! argh :/

thanks!

Erin

It depends on how I am feeling that particular day. My calorie intake is 1400 a day however, sometimes I do HIIT/Jogging and burn 300-400 calories. I usually dont eat it back but if I am hungry its my body's way to inform me its hungry...Dont starve your body, if you are feeling hungry eat those calories. In addition, its okay to go over your calorie intake but not by much (zig zagging your calories will help you prevent or impede plateaus). Hope this helps.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose, you should consume calories between you BMR and your total calories burned. Never drop below your BMR! MFP has a BMR calculator on the tools tab. On average you will lose 1 pound for every 3500 calories you are at a deficit. 2 pounds a week means 1000 calories below your total burned as long as you stay above your BMR. My BMR is 2016 and my total calories burned are about 2800. I stay at about 2100 to 2300 calories consumed.
  • mccbabe1
    Options
    ok.. cool thanks guys.. ya im sitting here like hungry big time.. LOL and with 430 calories remaining..i think imma get some cereal and milk.. LOL.. okay just wondered...thanks for advice! i'm excited about this plan.. and the blogs/friends.. seems really cool.. and I have 50 pnd minimum goal and more like 70-80 and I think this is the 'tool' I need to achieve it!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually do. The exception is on days when I do a huge amount of exercise. If I walk 7 or 8 miles I'm just not going to eat back all of those calories. :-)
  • mccbabe1
    Options
    @ Davidr730.. you said Never drop below your BMR!... but my allowed calories are even less then my brk.. like 400 calorie less!! ? hmmm.. i sent you a msg :bigsmile: