Foam roller for IT band....which one?

Options
I need to get a foam roller to work my IT band. Am looking on Amazon to get one but which one??

Some of them seem fatter than others. Can I just pick one of the cheaper one's and get that?

thanks

Replies

• xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    well... I made my own because at the time I couldn't afford an expensive one, but I would just recommend one that has a lot of cushioning because it can be excruciatingly painful when you are rolling it down your IT band and the more cushion you have the better.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason to spend a lot on a foam roller. As long as it's reasonably firm foam (like the stuff that is used to package computers, printers DVD players etc and not the stuff that is used for pillows and seat cushions) you'll be OK.

The one I use is about 6" diameter, about 30" long and is great for ITB work (my physio gave it to me)

Best wishes.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    well... I made my own because at the time I couldn't afford an expensive one, but I would just recommend one that has a lot of cushioning because it can be excruciatingly painful when you are rolling it down your IT band and the more cushion you have the better.

too soft and it will do nothing though. If you can compress it to almost flat with your body weight it just wont give enough localised pressure to work the ITB, muscles, connective stuff or fascia.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I got mine off Amazon - think its 66bit (or similar) not very expensive I think it was around £15. It's about 5cm thick & 60cm long.

It's pretty firm which you need & the sore part of my ITB did hurt when rolled over but it did help a little. I was too far down the line though with mine at the time so it's better if you can get in earlier.

Other good ones are the orange ones with nodules on but think they cost more!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options

too soft and it will do nothing though. If you can compress it to almost flat with your body weight it just wont give enough localised pressure to work the ITB, muscles, connective stuff or fascia.

More cushioning doesn't necessarily mean it will be too soft. The whole point is that you use it frequently, and if it's too painful you won't be. But as long as you are applying your body weight when doing the exercises, there should be no issue. And mine is definitely not too soft, it's very firm and works great.