Do I NEED To Join A Gym?

Options
I really want to get back into my fitness program (have 60 LBs to lose) but I'm very hesitant to join a gym, mostly because of the cost. Is it possible to get the same types of workouts/results by working out at home?

I'd like to hear both the pro's and con's. Do you workout at a gym or at home? if at home, what types of exercises do you do? If at a gym, whats the benefit versus working out at home in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond :)

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've done both.

The gym:

Pricey, except when I worked there and exercised for free. Lots of access to machines and equipment. It's easy to hire a personal trainer to get started if you aren't sure what you are doing. Often, gyms have other spiffy things like pools, hot tubs, etc. If you need workout buddies for motivation, you might can find one or two. But - sometimes the gym could get crowded and would slow my workout down. I definitely prefer going at slower times.

At home:

At home I jump rope and do body weight exercises (since I have pretty much zero equipment). There are a lot of great body weight programs out there, and some minimal-equipment programs (books, DVDs, etc). I'm following the book "You Are Your Own Gym." I like that someone else designed my program. I have gotten great results as well. Motivation wasn't much of an issue for me, but I do miss having access to cardio machines and free weights.

To conclude: I won't join a gym unless it's relatively inexpensive, and if I already know I'll have a dedicated work out buddy to spot me. Otherwise I'll stay at home. As far as results - it depends on what you want. If you feel like you can get your cardio outside and have room for basic strength training, stay at home until you feel you are ready for more.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary at all, but you have to figure out what will work for you. Are you likely to exercise more if you're paying for it, or does the thought of going into a gym fill you with revulsion/dread, and exercising outdoors or at home seems possible?

For me, time and financial constraints, plus the fact that 'I Just Don't LIKE Gyms' means that I haven't joined one, and have lost 41lbs to date. I use my commute for cardio (walking/cycling) and do strength exercises at home (body weight/calisthenics/hand weights), plus the occasional bit of yoga if I wake up early enough or can't sleep. Occasionally, I go to a dance or Zumba class for fun, with exercise as a side benefit. Other people on my newsfeed swim, pole dance, cycle, use DVDs at home, walk or run outdoors, and those things seem to be working for them.

Do you need structure and competition to stay motivated? Will seeing stronger bodies than yours motivate you, or leave you feeling inadequate and demotivated? Are you looking for guidance from Gym Staff, or are you reasonably happy to do your own thing? Is there something in your schedule that could be turned into exercise so that it's almost unavoidable eg. I have to get home from work somehow? What's your 'style'?
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I refuse to join a gym, they're expensive pockets of hell in my opinion haha

I do exercise videos, Wii games, cycling (I'm building up to being able to cycle to work - 12miles each way) and walking/jogging. I love the outdoors and getting into the countryside. I do go swimming or to classes occasionally when the weather is bad, usually zumba, body combat or boxercise

I've also been spending the money I would have spent on the gym on equipment at home, I've got dumbells set, pilates mat, hula hoop, exercise bike, and I've just bought a weights machine for a bit more heavy lifting. My dining room is becoming my own gym!! I think thats a much better investment than the gym.

Its your own choice either way but I certainly dont think you NEED to join a gym if you dont want to xx
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio(C25K) outdoors at the moment.. and my strength training at the gym. I also use a PT at the gym.

I pay 33.50 a month to use my gym.. and that includes cardio equipment, weight machines/free weights, a pool, a hot tub, a sauna, and unlimited classes.

For me, I'm a girl that would never take an exercise class. They are too crowded and I am not a people person. I prefer to workout on my own and do my own thing on my time.. not when someone else says I have to do it.

So in the end, it's up to you.. but I really don't think i would have seen as good results had I not gone to the gym.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    No... you definitely don't need a gym.

I lost 63 pounds without ever setting foot in a gym. I hiked, I lifted weights at home, I rode my bike. The weight came of really easily.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Not in my opinion :smile:

Oops, forgot to mention what I do at home! Wii Fit and games, Tae Bo workouts, Pilates, LONG walks with our dogs (1-2 hours at a good pace), and walking everywhere I possibly can (I have a little shopping trolley I now use so I don't even get the bus to the shops at weekends)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio at home with DVDs. I lost 55 pounds doing this. I am now in a gym and I love it. I am the type who has to have someone telling me what to do. So, classes are the way to go for me.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're dedicated enough and do your research there is no reason to join a gym. Buy a jump rope, some weights, and a kettlebell or two. Body resistance exercises are great and can be done while you're watching TV (pushups, situps, burpees, etc). Run outside when its nice out, go up and down the stairs of your house for 15-20min/day. The possibilities are endless, it just depends on how creative you can be.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, I do hip hop abs n Jillian and I am seeing result, plus enjoy the hip hop ab dvds. When I see people they cant believe the transformation.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I dont think you have to do absolutely anything,you can walk for miles or run if you want to without joining a gym I feel it should be a personal choice.For me I love the gym our weather in Ireland is usually wet and yucky and I hate running or walking in the rain,lol I wear glasses and I cant see if they get wet,also Im carer to my elderly mum and the gym is my one hour in the day when Im not on call so as I say its up to you whatever you enjoy and more so what works for you,my son joins me most mornings at 6.45 and we hit the gym then otherwise I would never get the time to do anything.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need a gym -- there are so so very many things you can do on your own, even without a stitch of equipment at all. However, for me, I tend to not push myself as hard at the home, and then get distracted if the phone rings or some other "urgent" thought pops in my head. At the gym - no distractions, plus having other humans around keeps me somewhat "competitive". I push myself super hard in classes, and if I work with a trainer, well, there's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Plus, it simply feels more like a commitment to me that I have to keep because I have spent the money for it so I'm not going to waste it, and just making the effort to get to the actual gym helps with my commitment level as well. AND many many many people do great on their own. I don't seem to be one of them. But if you find yourself slipping on your home program, a gym membership may be a worthy investment.
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it's easy enough to do things at home - sometimes you need to invest in things like a dvd and weights, but then you have them for life, and you can use them again and again! I don't have any money to throw at the gym now that I'm a student, but I still manage to lose weight at home for free (after you pay for the dvd of course) which works better for me :)
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was a gym member for a few years but finally gave it up. As I got more and more into running and cycling, I found I just wasn't going to the gym enough to make it worthwhile. The treadmills were what did me in. Even on a cold rainy day, I can find some fun in being out running. Once you accept you're going to get wet, it really isn't that bad. So I can get my runs in. I found that it was just too easy to quit on a treadmill. Knowing that no matter how far I ran, i was going to wind up no closer to that speck on the wall just drained me of any motivation.

On the other hand, I do know people who love and swear by gyms. I'm not trying to bash them, or even treadmills. It's just that, for me, I'm much happier when I'm exercising outside.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I've lost plenty of weight without a gym though currently I have a membership (it cost around $10/month here - paid in semesters since it's a college gym - $40/semester). This is actually the first semester I purchased in the last 3 years. The only reason why I am using it now is novelty (new things to discover) and classes (pilates). For the classes, I'm going to renew my membership.

However, I am finding more and more reasons to work out at home. At my gym, the kids do not seem to want to wipe the equipment and I find that NASTY. I've complained but the staff doesn't say a word to them. They just sweat all over the floor and the machines and the weights......why do I want to touch that? So now, I have become the weird older lady who wipes the machine down before she uses it and then wipes it down after lol.

Unless its cheap or has a lot of nice little extras (hot tubs, pools, etc), I wouldn't waste your money.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So I can get my runs in. I found that it was just too easy to quit on a treadmill. Knowing that no matter how far I ran, i was going to wind up no closer to that speck on the wall just drained me of any motivation.

Any video techie on board could make a killing filming their outdoor runs on a DVD for us home treadmill users :tongue:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership. I run, and use programs that I have found online. Here are a list of sites that offer free workout videos:

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/10-best-workout-videos-youtube?page=1
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have joined the local gym and love it. It allows me to vary the exercise I do. I love running outside though and I think running is the best form of exersise you can do for loosing weight and general fitness so if you don't want to join the gym join your local running club or at least buy a pair of running shoes. There are plenty of sites on the internet which give programs to get people who can hardly walk to run so whatever your standard you will be able to join in :-) Good luck
  • beingmotivated
    Options
    I'm not joining a gym, even though it would be nice to go but they are just too expensive.

I go on long hour walks, use the boxing bag I have in the backyard, skipping rope, Wii Fit and also the stationary bike. I also have two dumbbells which are 2kg (4.4lbs) each and I just use them whenever I'm reading an article or don't need my arms for anything :)
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for ages & didn't change at all. I didn't know what the heck I was doing!

I saw an infomercial for P90X and life changed! It came with DVDS and a food guide. I lost 14 lbs and 3 pants sizes. I love having the DVD because its like someone working out with me everyday, telling me/showing me what to do and its in my house. No daycare for my kids, no monthly fees, no waiting, no time schedule. I love it. Now I do Insanity.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to, as most have said you can do it at home ( videos , tread mill, buying weights ) For me the gym is a motivator, when I tried doing it at home it was too easy not to. If cost is one of the main factors and you have health insurance, I would check to see if your health insurance will pick up any of the cost. My insurance provider picks up $20 a month all I pay is sales tax, so it cost me about $9 a month.