Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

So confused about where to start with Protein shakes

P05T5CRIPT
P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
I've noticed that after a good workout I'm crazy hungry, i just usually eat a yogurt but I find I'm still starving, so I want to really up my protein and help my body after a tough workout. However I am so confused as to which one to go for or what to look for in a shake! I've asked around and searched through the boards but I'm as confused as ever.

I'd love to hear some recommendations and tips....especially for a newbie like myself!

Grace

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Make your own! =) Get some protein powder and find smoothie recipes online.
    I was making one with strawberries, mango, blueberries and a yogurt, then I'd put a scoop of protein in it. So yummy =)
    I'm now making one out of my morning coffee!! =) Mmmm Pinterest is really good for recipes!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Hello! Ok, to start..we all need to take in AT LEAST our body weight in protein daily. That is just to maintain the lean muscle mass we have. Protein shakes, greek yogurt, chicken breasts, protein bars, cottage cheese, peanut butter etc are all great sources of protein. You also need to take in a large source of protein within 30 min of working out to help muscle repair and recovery. If you are wanting to go the shake route, just make sure it's Whey Protein Isolate-this is the purest form of protein and the most "complete" form.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Best of luck!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Hello! Ok, to start..we all need to take in AT LEAST our body weight in protein daily. That is just to maintain the lean muscle mass we have. Protein shakes, greek yogurt, chicken breasts, protein bars, cottage cheese, peanut butter etc are all great sources of protein. You also need to take in a large source of protein within 30 min of working out to help muscle repair and recovery. If you are wanting to go the shake route, just make sure it's Whey Protein Isolate-this is the purest form of protein and the most "complete" form.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Best of luck!

agreed!!,

question: Ktarvin - i work out twice a day, i also have a protien shake 2x a day, but only one directly after my afternoon workout - b/c that is when i lift - my morning workouts are usually cardio,, with the occassional light strength training... i'm never hungry after it, and don't like to eat when i'm not hungry - and my 2nd protien shake is usually taken as a pm snack - do you see a down side to this ( you seem to be confident with ur knowledge in this area, so just wanted to get your opinion)... thanks!
  • hyper24
    hyper24 Posts: 27
    Hey !

Go with whey protein for after your workout, this is fast absorbing protein and is crucial after a workout. It will help with your recovery. There is also casein, which is slow release protein and is usually taken before bed so your muscles are provided with protein during sleep.

During your search you might have come across whey isolate, this is much more expensive than normal whey protein. The main difference is that whey protein isolate is processed further in the manufacturing of whey protein. The end result is a more pure protein, with much lower levels of lactose and fat. In fact, over 90% of whey protein isolate, by weight,is protein.

Honestly, just go with normal whey protein.

If you live in the US go with Optimum Nutrition they are very good brand. They are comparatively cheaper when compared to other major protein brands. I've only used Optimum nutrition and AST VP2 (whey isolate) when I lived in the US, so not sure about other brands. However, I am sure you can find cheaper brands, you just need to Google.

If you are in the UK, go with myprotein.com, they make good products and are cheaper compared to other brands. I've been using them for a year now.

I hope this helps.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member

Best of luck!

agreed!!,

question: Ktarvin - i work out twice a day, i also have a protien shake 2x a day, but only one directly after my afternoon workout - b/c that is when i lift - my morning workouts are usually cardio,, with the occassional light strength training... i'm never hungry after it, and don't like to eat when i'm not hungry - and my 2nd protien shake is usually taken as a pm snack - do you see a down side to this ( you seem to be confident with ur knowledge in this area, so just wanted to get your opinion)... thanks!

Hey! I understand not being hungry after a workout..lol I struggle with that too :)

I just try to find a different form of protein. Something that is small but with large amount. I LOVE the "Pure Protein" shots you can get in the diet section @ Walmart. They have 3 forms of protein in them and 42grams! Plus they tast ubber yummy...grape, watermelon, fruit punch, etc. you can buy 6 for $13.88 or as singles. It's worth it to buy a 6 pack so on those days you don't feel hungry, you can do the shot.

But hey, as long as you are getting in the right amount of protein throughout the day, that's better than nothing so don't stress over not having it immediately after your strength training. Cut yourself some slack! Keep up the great workouts :drinker:
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    I tried whey for a while, but it was giving me some SERIOUS stomach problems due to me being lactose intolerant. Mixing it with water wasn't quite as bad. A friend told me about casein (he has the same problem with whey), and I've been using that for about a month with no adverse effects. I can tell that it takes significantly longer to absorb. Does anybody know from experience if this whey isolate stuff is easier on a lactose intolerant stomach?
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    I tried whey for a while, but it was giving me some SERIOUS stomach problems due to me being lactose intolerant. Mixing it with water wasn't quite as bad. A friend told me about casein (he has the same problem with whey), and I've been using that for about a month with no adverse effects. I can tell that it takes significantly longer to absorb. Does anybody know from experience if this whey isolate stuff is easier on a lactose intolerant stomach?

You can purchase lactose free protein. You are correct though, casein does not absorb into the muscles as quickly as whey, and therefore is not an optimum choice post workout.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I don't take a protein shake after a workout- I take it immediately before and do Milk Protein Isolate instead of whey because studies show it helps increase lean muscle mass and promote leanness better than WPI.

100% Hydrolized Whey Protein Isolate is virtually lactose-free and fine to take for those lactose intolerant. Dymatize ISO-100 makes a good, relatively inexpensive isolate. The cheapest place online to get it is $51 at AllStarHealth.com.
  • hyper24

Check out the below link, read through it, hopefully you find something that helps :)

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/best_protein_for_lactose_intolerant_people
  • P05T5CRIPT
    Thanks everyone so much for your replies and help! I'm just wondering does anyone use a protein shake as a meal replacement, as I wonder could I have one of these for breakfast a few days a week instead of my usual brekkie.
  • Marked
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try out some whey isolate today and see how it goes.
  • hyper24
    Thanks everyone so much for your replies and help! I'm just wondering does anyone use a protein shake as a meal replacement, as I wonder could I have one of these for breakfast a few days a week instead of my usual brekkie.

I sometimes use protein shakes as meal replacements when I am too lazy to prepare something to eat. I just use the usual whey protein, but I add oats, ryvita and sometimes fruits with milk just so I can increase the calorie content.

You can buy dedicated meal replacements if you'd like.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    Adding oats and fruit sounds great, really like the idea of doing that on occasion to mix it up. Thanks!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Hello! Ok, to start..we all need to take in AT LEAST our body weight in protein daily. That is just to maintain the lean muscle mass we have.

I think you should have said LEAN body weight (lbs) in grams of protein. There is no way a 200lb overweight person with a LBM of 100 lbs needs a minimum of 200g of protein.
  • Shadowfax44
    Shadowfax44 Posts: 38 Member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for chocolate protein shakes or powders that actually taste good? I would mix with skim milk and possible strawberries. I'm just afraid of spending $$$ on something that tastes awful.

BTW I just joined here and am finding it VERY helpful and inspiring. Happy to be here!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 336 Member
    Chocolate protein powder in a cup of coffee makes a great mocha drink!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    I'm also on the boat with whey isolate. I buy Isofuel; it's pretty cheap from the manufacturer's website and it mixes pretty well. A lot of flavors are really sweet though, but I find that advantageous when adding plain greek yogurt to a shake.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    My favorite that I use to drink is chocolate protein powder with skim milk blended. Then blend either fat free peanut butter or almond butter (almond butter has less junk in it) and a banana. It taste amazing!

Also, to make protein pancakes, mix egg whites with one scoop of protein powder (NOT chocolate or it is really gross) and some vanilla. or google more protein pancake recipes because you can add other things to make it not taste so much like protein!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 336 Member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for chocolate protein shakes or powders that actually taste good? I would mix with skim milk and possible strawberries. I'm just afraid of spending $$$ on something that tastes awful.

BTW I just joined here and am finding it VERY helpful and inspiring. Happy to be here!

I really like the UNJURY brand. You can get it in single serving packets or a tab to scoop. Check out their website. They also do a sampler with 2 packets of each flavor they sell. It's a good way to try it. I found out I didn't like the Chicken Soup (supposed to be like drinking chicken broth) or Strawberry. Still haven't tried the unflavored yet.

Chocolate Splendor is great in coffee for a mocha drink. Also good mixed with milk (Silk light Vanilla) for a chocolate milk drink :0)