olive oil over 100 calories 1 tbspn

Options
Hello guys,

Straight to the point. I actually mostly steam everything. Sometimes I cook with olive oil or pam.

Looked up olive oil and saw 1 table spoon is over 100 calories.

Any alternatives that you'd recommend?

Replies

• sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Looked up olive oil and saw 1 table spoon is over 100 calories.

Any alternatives that you'd recommend?

In a word, no. And there shouldn't be. Your body needs a certain amount of 'good' fats to function properly--fact is, without fat it'll have trouble burning fat.

Extra virgin olive oil is an excellent option, as is flaxseed oil or extra virgin coconut oil (my favorite). They all come in at 120 kcal per tbsp, calories well spent. You just have to factor them into your daily meal plan.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Depends on why you need it to begin with. If you are baking, applesauce is a good sub. If you are frying/sauteing/etc oils are calorie dense and if you need to use them, be happy with the health benefits of olive oil.

You can always use PAM and find out 3 months later you have a residue that you can't get rid of on your pans. I use pam on my outdoor grill and pyrex pans which are glass.

I use either oil or smart balance on my pans, that's it.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    Good question! I cook with olive oil all the time!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I bought a pressurized sprayer that lets me use olive oil like you would Pam. But the quantity is much less than using spoonfuls.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is GREAT for you. Yes, it's 100 calories, but it's 100 calories of good fats and nutrition. It's not like 100 calories of white sugar. You NEED those fats in your diet! Things like olive oil and avocado are full of the "good fats" that you need for brain and heart function, among every thing else.

Short answer - the olive oil you are using is the best thing you can use for sauteeing, steaming, etc. It's the "healthy" alternative to butter, PAM, or other stuff...