Trouble sticking to 5-6 mini meals a day.

Options
I always heard that i should eat 5-6 mini meals a day to keep my metabolism high, but i always have problem sticking to it. i'm perfectly fine with small meals in the day but I'm used to large dinners with my family at night and i can't seem to stick to a mini meal. Worse still, i end up feeling hungry again around 10pm. Its always that last tiny snack at night that causes me to go over my calorie budget. How frustrating! Any advice?

Edit: i'm really short. 4'11. My BMR when sedentary is only about 1300+ so any normal sized meal (400plus calories) can easily be 'big' for me.

Replies

• vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So don't.

I do the eating 6 times a day thing and love it. Others, it doesn't work for. There really is no evidence to support it, so I consider it one of those "your mileage may vary" things - some people love it, some don't.

If it's not working for you, modify it or throw it out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 6 meals a day does nothing for your metabolism... so if it doesn't work for you, then ditch it.

I eat 3 meals with a random snack here and there. Most of my meals are between 500-600 calories a meal.. and I always feel full and satisfied.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Don't do it if it doesn't work for you. Whatever you find that you can stick to, do that. Forget about what everyone else says or does. If you want to eat 3 large meals go for it. I have to do the same. I can't eat small meals or else I feel forever hungry.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 6 meals a day does nothing for your metabolism... so if it doesn't work for you, then ditch it.

I eat 3 meals with a random snack here and there. Most of my meals are between 500-600 calories a meal.. and I always feel full and satisfied.

Ditto! Studies have shown eating frequently does nothing for your metabolism, your metabolism doesn't start to slow till about day 3 of NO food. I tried eating 5-6 times/day and hated it as well. So I'm back to 3 meals and a snack if needed.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    There are a number of reasons why eating many small meals per day works for people, but a lot of the reasons people do it are BS. Time your meals the way that works best for you, not based on what you think will speed up your metabolism
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's more about total daily calories, making sure you're not too hungry in between and getting good balanced nutrition at every meal. I eat 3 meals, snacks only if I'm hungry and it's working fine. Other people do better grazing.
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on this. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, then adapt. Only you know your body and what your body tells you. No where on MFP does it say you need to eat all of your calories at certain times or how ever many times a day. It's taking the program and fitting it to you. Planning is good too. Plan out what you want to eat for the day and see if there are times you feel more hungry throughout the day. If it's the 10 pm snack and you have identified it, then plan for it. Know that you will probably be hungry at that time and save a few calories for a small snack. It's your plan!

Good Luck!!!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    So don't.

I do the eating 6 times a day thing and love it. Others, it doesn't work for. There really is no evidence to support it, so I consider it one of those "your mileage may vary" things - some people love it, some don't.

If it's not working for you, modify it or throw it out.

I absolutely agree. I also do the 5/6 times a day thing because it keeps me from overeating on the big meals, but the idea that it "keeps the metabolism revved up" is just plain silly. Proponents of this are suggesting that the Thermic Effect of Food is higher based on frequent meals. While it may keep your overall metabolic rate more evenly high, larger meals correspondingly have a higher TEF, thus there is not net difference between eating it as 3 larger meals, or 5/3 smaller meals.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I personally eat 6 small meals a day. It DOES speed up your metabolism. When you eat( clean of course:tongue: ) your body burns calories as your body is digesting your food. But like the others said-you need to do what works for YOU or this won't be a sustainable life for you. I've personally lost more weight with six small meals, for ex something every 2-3 hours. It can be hard to stay under, but since I workout at night, by the time I get to the gym I know that I MUST burn "x amount of calories" to creat the needed deficite.

You are doing a great job! I hope you find what works for you:flowerforyou:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I always heard that i should eat 5-6 mini meals a day to keep my metabolism high, but i always have problem sticking to it. i'm perfectly fine with small meals in the day but I'm used to large dinners with my family at night and i can't seem to stick to a mini meal. Worse still, i end up feeling hungry again around 10pm. Its always that last tiny snack at night that causes me to go over my calorie budget. How frustrating! Any advice?

Edit: i'm really short. 4'11. My BMR when sedentary is only about 1300+ so any normal sized meal (400plus calories) can easily be 'big' for me.

Personally, I love eating several times a day. It's fabulous to know that I have more food to look forward to in a few hours, wow am I a chubster? haha.
    Can you try eating different foods that late at night? Maybe something that has more fiber like oatmeal.....otherwise, you can just not eat 5-6 meals. Nothing bad will befall you if you only eat 3-4 times a day. It's all a balancing act, make it work for you.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am still interested in knowing how many calories a day she is eating because she could be under eating and that is why she is hungry.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    If it doesn't work don't do it! Personally feel like you'll set yourself up to quit. But if you're determined to try the 5-6 meals I was having a hard time with that at first too. Until I broke down the calories and tried to fit that in to acommodate my big dinners with my family.

Breakfast - 180-210Cal (normall cereal, egg sandwich, or protein shake)
    Mini #1 - 125-140 cal (normally PB and J or side salad or 100Cal snack)
    Lunch - 200-275cal
    Mini #2 - 125-140Cal (normally PB and J or side salad or 100Cal snack)
    Dinner - 400 Cal
    Mini #3 - 125 -140cal (normally PB and J or side salad or 100Cal snack)

At the max this is still only a 1305Cal/Day. (can normally offset back to 1200 with a walk or something quick as far as exercise) Try breaking the hours so you're eating something at least every 2.5-4hrs. Good luck
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally eat 6 small meals a day. It DOES speed up your metabolism. When you eat( clean of course:tongue: ) your body burns calories as your body is digesting your food. But like the others said-you need to do what works for YOU or this won't be a sustainable life for you. I've personally lost more weight with six small meals, for ex something every 2-3 hours. It can be hard to stay under, but since I workout at night, by the time I get to the gym I know that I MUST burn "x amount of calories" to creat the needed deficite.

The calories your body burns digesting food are very very little... not nearly enough to speed up metabolism.

What determines your metabolism really, is how much lean muscle mass you have.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I eat two big meals a day. What you eat is much more important than how often.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I always heard that i should eat 5-6 mini meals a day to keep my metabolism high

That's a myth, so don't worry about it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

What determines your metabolism really, is how much lean muscle mass you have.

^^^ this!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Digesting DOES burn calories but it's proportional to the calories you eat. So if you eat 2000 calories 5 times a day you burn X/5 calories digesting it each time you eat. If you eat 2000 calories once a day you just burn X calories that one time. So yeah, at the end of the day it's the same amount of calories burned by digestion.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you can't do it, don't do it. It's about calories in vs. calories out (and a little about the make-up of those calories). When you eat doesn't matter.

I eat 5-6 meals a day because I like to have snacks during the day. But, if I didn't want to have a snack and instead wanted a bigger lunch, I would do that.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Meal frequency would not matter with regards to TEF over a 24 hour period.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html