New Person Looking for Motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• jollydolphin
    Options
    The important thing in any diet is to be honest with yourself. If you are active and healthy, you know why you gained 10lbs recently. Review your diet and be realistic. It's the little things that trip us up. The coffee in the morning that leads to the crash at 3:00pm, so you go looking for the carbs to boost yourself up. That diet soda that has sweeters 500 times sweeter then regular sugar, that just sets you to crave more sugar. The bag of chips that was a bargain at 99 cents, that is really 3 servings instead of just having a "few". We have all been there and still working on it. Just do your best and honestly record everything you eat in your food diary. Good luck!
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Lastly, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!
    www.truthfulfitness.com

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Welcome here you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I hope you have a great day.
  • damiengarber
    Options
    This is a great site for motivation. Anyone can feel free to add me!
  • Anappy
    Anappy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome and feel free to add me :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but I see a lot of people saying that they received a lot of motivation from people on here, so here goes. I'm almost 20, not quite 5 feet, and 143 lbs. I know this doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but I am typically an extremely active college student. The problem is, I've gotten an internship over the summer which is a desk job and I cant stay active until school starts back up. I've already gained almost 10 pounds in a few weeks. I'm starting a new diet to see if that helps, so any motivation and suggestions would be lovely!

Thank you :)
    ~Genie

Be sure to bring plenty of low calorie, healthy snacks with you to keep at your desk, and set up a "meal schedule" for meals and snacks at specific times of the day. I've found that this helps eliminate alot of the mindless snacking that often happens when you work a desk job. Buy a 20oz. refillable sport bottle and keep refilling it with water throughout the day. If you get a full hour for lunch, use thirty minutes to eat your lunch and the other thirty minutes to get in some light activity (i.e. walk up and down the stairs a few times, go outside and walk around the parking lot or up and down the sidewalk, etc...).
  • gailashton
    gailashton Posts: 292
    Options
    You don't need a diet, you need a lifestyle change with portion control, healthy eating habits and exercise. Easier said than done especially when you're in college but you can do it. You can add me if you'd like. We all have our struggles but we are all here for each other. Best of luck!
  • tweaver77
    tweaver77 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try to find some way to replace the activity your missing in your desk job. take a 30min walk during lunch or before or after work.
    Also don't eat at your desk. those casual calories really add up.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm Lainey (TrinityLyons01) and I love MFP. Also, my youngest daughter is 22 and approximately 5 feet tall. Her best weight is around 115. Whenever she gains just 5 -10 pounds she can really tell. I guess that is the curse is being cute and petite. :laugh: In any event, I understand why you would want to get the pounds off.

Feel free to add me if you like. Also, please remember that what you want is a lifestyle change and not a diet. You want changes you can maintain for the rest of your life and not just until you get to the weight you would like to be. I have been on diets before but only positive changes remove and keep the weight off!

Good luck to you and I know you can do it!
  • naivenitara
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This place is great! I work from home, but it's in front of a computer all day. I try and sit on the fitness ball whenever possible to keep the blood pumping and either do morning or evening workouts. I'm constantly snacking, and MFP is great because you can keep tabs on what you're eating and it's super easy. Please feel free to add me (that goes for everyone). I'm on here everyday and I love to motivate others. When others succeed, it makes me feel like I can succeed too!

I also have a healthy eating/motivation/humor page on Facebook that you and everyone is welcome to join. www.facebook.com/deeprootshealthyliving Again, welcome! :D