Cheap and healthy recipes - Substitutes

Options
chellybailey
chellybailey Posts: 10 Member
Hi guys,

I have found that the healthier the food, the more pennies I use. Browsing here before I came across Mock Mash and I personally think it sounds super yummy and isnt going to break the bank.

Does anyone else have any cheap, healthy and yummy substitutes or meals and if so what??

Thanks!!

Chelle :)

Replies

• crazy4coffee1016
    crazy4coffee1016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Melissa D'Arabian from Food Network makes $10 meals. I think she feeds a family of four on this. Her main thing is that she buys whatever meat is on sale at the market that week, then builds her meals around that. Anyway, you can go to the Food Network website and check out her recipes for inspiration.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I know of 2 cookbooks you may want to look up (I suggest looking on Thrift Books website as it's an online used book store and everything is cheaper). One is Dining on Dime. The other is Healthy Meals for Less. Both of these books are lifesavers and have awesome ideas.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Also, I shop at Aldi or Save-A-Lot for groceries. They are cheap grocery stores. There is no name brand and you bring your own bags. But because of this the prices are super cheap. Aldi even has a line of items called Fit & Active that are all healthier than the regular stuff.
  • aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go to Aldi all the time. My favorite find has been the happy farms spreadable cheese. They have a few flavors and it is half the price of Laughing cow cheese!!
  • chellybailey
    Options
    Thanks guys, I do already buy reduced food. Feed my family like kings that way ;)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Buying store-brands instead of regular name brands usually helps save a ton of money.
  • chellybailey
    Options
    I do that aswell, the main cost in our house is meat and fruit/veg. There is no chance of my hubby giving up the meat though, he is a proud carnivore. I've tried meat free and it just didnt cut it ;)