Cannot consume enough - metabolism - coconut oil????

Options
I need your help please - Because of my bariatric surgery I am simply not able to consume enough net calories 1,200 (of healthy food) on a daily basis and am exercising to make calorie consumption even worse. I did add nuts but that's not helping much.

Does anyone have an opinion about coconut oil? I'm reading a metabolism book and the author recommends a tbsp of coconut oil daily to boost metabolism. Is it ok to go over your daily limit on healthy fats? My diary is open.

I really appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I need your help please - Because of my bariatric surgery I am simply not able to consume enough net calories 1,200 (of healthy food) on a daily basis and am exercising to make calorie consumption even worse. I did add nuts but that's not helping much.

Does anyone have an opinion about coconut oil? I'm reading a metabolism book and the author recommends a tbsp of coconut oil daily to boost metabolism. Is it ok to go over your daily limit on healthy fats? My diary is open.

I really appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks!

I don't know if it will boost your metabolism, but healthy fats are fine. Canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, etc. can all be good sources. Just remember - fat doesn't make you fat. Too many calories make you fat. I think you should worry more about meeting your calorie goal and following the advice needed to maintain your surgery results (advice from your doctor, nutritionist, etc, that is) than meeting your macros.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    LOVE the coconut!! the oil is palatable by the spoonful and can be melted into coffee or tea, I also love coconut milk from a can in my tea or coffee or on berries instead of cream. Have you considered a fish oil supplement as well? that might help with increasing your cals and benifit with Omega 3's
    I'm sure you will get some great ideas here! =)
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My husband SWEARS by coconut oil. He puts one tbsp in his oatmeal each morning and he says it tastes good and helps his joints. Also, it can tolerate medium heat, so you can cook with it too. Primal Blueprint Fast and Easy Meals by Sisson has some great recipes with coconut oil, as well.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been cooking/baking with coconut oil for over a year now. It is great! Even though it is a saturated fat, it is supposed to be heart healthy, and the medium chain triglycerides are (by some studies) possibly helpful in warding off brain degenerative diseases such as Alzheimers. Just make sure you get the organic, expeller expressed oil, other ways of refining use chemicals and solvents.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    LOVE the coconut!! the oil is palatable by the spoonful and can be melted into coffee or tea, I also love coconut milk from a can in my tea or coffee or on berries instead of cream. Have you considered a fish oil supplement as well? that might help with increasing your cals and benifit with Omega 3's
    I'm sure you will get some great ideas here! =)

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll be loving the coconut too! (and Omega 3's).
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised given your surgery you get dietary advice/plans from MFP. I don't mean that to sound insulting. It just seems like you would've been given a more personalized plan than "eat 1200 plus your exercise calories and supplement with whatever food to get it up to that level". It doesn't seem like something a doctor would recommend for someone with bariatric surgery. No?
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    Sorry I just cannot see eating COil by the spoonful. Maybe it was the low fat 90s, but would you eat lard by the spoonful? OP, cooking with coconut oil is great. Also if you can do this on your bariatric diet, meal bars and protein bars are a good way to get quick calories, and there are plenty of healthful ones out there (organic, etc).
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised given your surgery you get dietary advice/plans from MFP. I don't mean that to sound insulting. It just seems like you would've been given a more personalized plan than "eat 1200 plus your exercise calories and supplement with whatever food to get it up to that level". It doesn't seem like something a doctor would recommend for someone with bariatric surgery. No?

Because of two of you - I decided I should consult with my nutritionist at my surgeon's office. I will call today! Thanks guys!!!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Oh good! I really didn't mean to sound so blunt. Please let us know what he/she says, just out of curiosity.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    NOTE: Since you've had bariatric surgery, your doctor or nutritionist would be the best source of advice. I'm assuming your doc told you to eat a balanced diet. If not, stop reading and ask them for advice.

Based on your diary, you're usually a tad low on fat anyway. A half-tablespoon of coconut oil is 7 grams of fat, so keep that in mind when taking it.

Your proteins are high, which is excellent.

What's up with the Quaker "weight control" oatmeal and the "light and fit carb control" yogurt? You're short on carbs and struggling to get enough calories in, I'd be going full-fat, full-carb versions of everything. Eat real old fashioned oats. Enjoy real yogurt. Same with the cottage cheese.

Your food choices are, by and large, excellent. But with small portions forced on you by the surgery, you need to make every calorie count.