Macro preferences?

Hi guys,

Basic backstory: I've gotten down to the size I want to, and now I'm just trying to tone up and burn a little bit of lingering fat. Trying to drop my body fat percentage by about 2-4%. I've currently got my macros set at 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein, and was just wondering if anyone was using a different balance that worked well for them for fat burn/muscle build? I've heard a lot about people doing 40/30/30, and am wondering if that would be a better balance, or if it doesn't make a big difference either way? If you look at my diary, you'll see that although i'm trying hard, I already struggle to get up to my protein goals, and routinely end up over (not by much, but still) on fat and/or carbs, depending on the day. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    I have mine set at 40/30/30 but I struggle to get my protein up to my 130 gram goal unless I eat meat with every meal which isn't reasonable for me. I always go over fat and carbs as well. I set my macros to that percent in hope that I may someday be able to get enough protein. I am unsure if it makes a large difference, I just know getting enough protein is essential for building muscle.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Bump.
    I read somewhere (a medical journal) that human brain can get energy only from carbohydrates, neither fats not proteins and for a good body function (including brain), we should eat 45-65 percent of our calories from carbs.

Could someone please shed a light on this. All this percentage thing is so confusing with lots and lots of different opinion.
    OP, I just jumped in to hear people's opinions if you dont mind.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    I do 40/40/20 protein/fat/carbs. I lost 9lb in 5-6 weeks with 4" off my waist. My energy levels are great. I'm lifting heavy and I'm not feeling a drop in performance for running or spinning despite the reduced carbs. I was pretty stunned by how much my gut has shrunk. I have adopted some of the principles in www.marksdailyapple.com and it's working well for me.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Allison: Yeah that's pretty much all I know, too! That's why I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference for people based on how they set their carb and fat intake.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    I think a 40c/30p/30f is pretty decent if you aren't doing a shed load of training ~ a "zone" type breakdown.

I think if you are competing in some kind of sport then generally you are better off upping carbs to 50 - 60% at the expense of fat (although keep fat at about 20% or so for healthy function).

Really, I think this is for the individual to play around with to find what suits them best. Protein is particularly good at blunting hunger, followed by fat so many individuals may be better off reducing carbs and replacing them with protein or fat depending on preference. This helps with cravings and over eating leading to better dietary adherence.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Bump.
    I read somewhere (a medical journal) that human brain can get energy only from carbohydrates, neither fats not proteins and for a good body function (including brain), we should eat 45-65 percent of our calories from carbs.
    Could someone please shed a light on this. All this percentage thing is so confusing with lots and lots of different opinion.
    OP, I just jumped in to hear people's opinions if you dont mind.

You might find this an interesting read with many further links within.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-glucose-does-your-brain-really-need/#axzz20thCnh7T
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I've been using 40c/30p/30f ratios for a month now, and I'm getting results. Before, I was set on 50c/30p/20f and after losing a significant amount of weight, weight loss became a struggle. Before I was losing the same 10 lbs for six months. Since changing to the 40/30/30 ratio I have seen significant losses. If what you are doing is working, then stick with it. But if weight loss slows down, try something different.
  • ddomanil
    ddomanil Posts: 3 Member
    Hi - I've just recently adjusted my macros according to 'muscle building' guidlines and I have them set at 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. What seems to be working for me though is keeping an eye on the my sugars and keeping them as low as possible. I also keep my trans fats as low as possible as they have been touted as the devil.

40% protein is quite tough to achieve actually. It means a lot of quality meat and additional protein supplements twice a day. Results are good and hopefully more improvement is on the way.

Good luck with everyone's goals.
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    This is *exactly* what I was looking for as I've just reached goal weight, but want to try and burn off remaining fat and build more muscle too! I've got net calories set to 1500 pd now and macros 40/30/30 so will see how I get on.