Oh so hungry!!!

Options
OMG! It's not even close to lunch time yet and I'm starving!!! I had a protein shake this morning, a banana, a mandarin orange, and a fist full of carrots. Let's not forget the 3 glasses of water in there also!

I can't believe how hungry I am! I woke up hungry, I have been grazing and I'm still hungry. I don't even remember seeing the orange after I peeled it... it just vanished into thin air it was gone so fast!!!

HELP! How do I tame this beast!

Replies

• kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try to add more fiber to your breakfast. Does your shake have a lot of fiber in it?
  • Laurie061273
    Options
    It has 2g of dietary fiber. Isn't there fiber in the fruits and veggies though?
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try adding 6 almonds to your snack with fruit. It helps me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Interesting article here on why you get hungry shortly after breakfast...

http://www.leangains.com/
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I went through this I snacked on a rice cake and veggies.

I don;t think shakes help with hunger at all. I'd prefer to have protean form real food in the morning (some kind of lean meat) this kept me more satisfied. I use shakes in the afternoon post workout.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    add powdered fiber to your protein shake.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I went through your food diary. I think maybe you don't eat often enough and when you do perhaps some not so great choices. Just a thought. I find when I eat processed food it doesn't satisfy me for the long haul and of course we can't have as much of it as the good wholesome stuff. Also try to up your water as well. Sometimes we feel hungry if we are getting dehydrated. I sympathize with feeling hungry, it sucks. Best of luck hun :-)
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also have found that I found myself "hungry" because it was time that I usually would eat a mid-morning snack, my body had adjusted to that time to have a snack, and was conditioned into thinking i was hungry...
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of green tea. no sugar no milk. It will taste a little bland, maybe bitter but it will kill your appetite for a while and over time you'll get used to the taste
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I've honestly never had a protein shake so I don't know how that'd affect it, but if I only are fruit for breakfast I am pretty certain I'd be starving after an hour or 2.

I tend to eat a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast in the morning, it keeps me a lot more satisfied for a lot longer than fruit does.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    By eating something?

I get that you ate a fair amount at breakfast time -- but so what? Your body is hungry now, so feed it. If it's not a daily or regular occurrence and you know it's not thirst -- and it's not being caused by stress (or emotional reasons), just go with it. Have lunch early -- have an extra healthy snack. Trying to hold off isn't going to do ya much good.

I don't know a ton about protein shakes -- but like somebody else suggested, make sure it has lots of fiber. Also, check the sugar -- nothing gives me empty tummy syndrome like having a ton of sugar at a time.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I need eggs or at least 5g of fiber to feel full till lunch.. fruits and veggies are good but for me it works better if they have a bit of fat (like smashed avocado on whole wheat toast)

some days you are just hungier than others! I also find if I make it through a hungry day at the next weigh-in I will have lost weight
  • haeffel2
    haeffel2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Protein. You've got your shake and that's great! But keep protein in your snacks too and it helps regulate insulin levels and gives you a feeling of satiety so you don't have cravings later. Bob Harper (Blue Team trainer on the Biggest Loser) talks up the benefits of having protein at every meal (don't go too crazy though, try to find natural sources like almonds and egg whites).
  • Laurie061273
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I was snacking on my carrots and they just weren't doing anything for me. I made it to 11:30 and have lunch in hand... well... in box. I only have so much I bring to work with me, so I try to space it out so I am not hungry thoughout the day. Today, though, I'm just starving for some reason!
  • ammire82
    ammire82 Posts: 50
    Options
    try shirataki noodles. they're made from konjac yams and are high in fiber and will fill you up without giving you extra calories. I plan out the calored of my day before I eat anything so if I get hungry it's a good thing to have made up in the fridge to snack on. They're pretty much flavorless though so you may want to add a little spices and/or broth. There's also a company that makes gummies out of the konjac yam and sell them as a diet snack. They're a little expensive but very convient to have in your purse for those times you're out. They're fruity so it's almost like cheating lol they're called gummy owls. Good luck!!!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Not enough food... too many sugars not enough proteins/healthy fats IMHO.
  • tinlis
    tinlis Posts: 34
    Options
    Try Hoodia gordini. Look it up online and form your own opinion. It stops me feeling hungry and thinking about FOOD.
    I have only been taking it for 10 days. Tinlis
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    OMG! It's not even close to lunch time yet and I'm starving!!! I had a protein shake this morning, a banana, a mandarin orange, and a fist full of carrots. Let's not forget the 3 glasses of water in there also!

I can't believe how hungry I am! I woke up hungry, I have been grazing and I'm still hungry. I don't even remember seeing the orange after I peeled it... it just vanished into thin air it was gone so fast!!!

HELP! How do I tame this beast!

Been here before! I chew gum haha

or i chew ice....love love love a big dt mt dew with ice chips!

when you can afford a few extra calories, i alwasy do 1tbsp of creamy peanut butter on a rice cake (60-70cals depending on flavor)...you get the crunch, and the sweets you desire for 150-160 calories
  • star0207
    star0207 Posts: 21
    Options
    i had some melon this morning.... im hungry dammit!
  • Brandiwine118
    Brandiwine118 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been there many of times. Keep with it. Sometimes it takes our bodies to adjust to eating better. But in the mean time, try finding things for breakfast that is still low calorie but will hold you over until a mid-morning snack or lunch. Eat plenty of fiber! A good breakfast for me is an egg white omelet with veggies, no cheese. I've lost 73 lbs total and when i first started myfitnesspal the shakes were not cutting it for me....i wanted food with substance!

Good Luck and hang in there!!