Recipe's with zucchini & squash?

Options
caitles14
caitles14 Posts: 89
I currently have tons of zucchini and squash from a local farm overtaking my fridge and I want to make a delicious dinner with them...anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for something a) vegetarian, and b) that requires minimal cooking, as it's 94 and humid here today, and we don't have air conditioning :(

Excited to hear some great recipes :)

Replies

• Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hey Cait!

I like to saute in veggie oil then top with parm cheese. You can also slice in thick slices, then marinate in itailian dressing (or anything really) and bake on grill... a few minutes on each side.

I have lots of recipes since we had a squash/ zucchini explosion ourselves in our garden but most require baking :)

Message me if you need help!
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi I have just put a vegetarian recipe on the stuffed bell peppers thread here a few mts ago.
    Also many people are using the zucchini. peeled in long strips as a substitute for pasta.
    What about cooking some chopped zucchini, squash, onion, bell pepper whatever other veg you have in some tomato puree or chopped/diced tomato, season with herbs, put in a pie dish, cover with mash and brown under the grill?
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love to cut zucchini in length wise planks, brush with italian dressing and pepper and then grill, mmmmmm! Good just like that and really good with a serving of quinoa and a dollop of goat cheese.
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    thanks guys, these all sound delicious! i love love LOVE goat cheese, so i def like the idea of pairing some with the grilled veggies :)
  • lwollerson
    lwollerson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I received this recipe today in my e-mail:

Summer Squash with Angel Hair

From the kitchen of Dreamfields Pasta

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 box Dreamfields Angel Hair
    1-1/2 pounds summer squash (such as zucchini, yellow, pattypan)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided

Directions:

Coarsely shred squash using largest hole in box grater. Place in colander or strainer to drain off liquid, about 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pan; cover and keep warm.
    Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and parsley. Cook 2 minutes or until garlic is golden brown. Stir in squash, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes until squash wilts and begins to brown. Add wine. Cook about 5 minutes until squash is tender and wine has evaporated, stirring frequently. Stir in mint; simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
    Toss squash mixture with pasta and half of Parmesan cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
    Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition information (1/4 of recipe): 319 calories; 12 g protein; 12 g digestible carbohydrates*; 11 g total fat; 3 g saturated fat; 7 mg cholesterol; 197 mg sodium; 6 g total dietary fiber.

*If traditional pasta is used in this recipe there is a total of 42 g carbohydrate. For more information go to www.DreamfieldsFoods.com.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... I always just steam mine and add balsamic vinegar or make ka-bobs.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Wash them, don't peel them. Slice both into thick round slabs then quarter the slabs. Chop an onion into big chunks. Cherry tomatoes if you have them are great or chunk a regular tomato or two. Drizzle just a bit of EVOO into a big saute pan, medium low heat, toss it all in with some minced garlic, sweet basil, parsley, pepper, salt (optional). Put a lid on it, stir and turn occasionally until they soften up a bit and get some brown spots on them. Voila! It's fast, easy and delicious.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bump so others will post more recipes.