Post Neck Surgery Success

Options
findfan4ever
findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
If you read my profile, you will discover I had a very serious car accident back in 2009 which led to emergency neck surgery in June 2010. I was advised not to exercise during the first 6 months after surgery to ensure three vertebral fusions worked. I was also advised the only activity I could do was light exercise (walking, etc) and not to lift anything over 30 pounds. I was also informed I would not be able to lift heavy like I used to or to have any jobs which required heavy lifting or pushing.

I followed these recommendations only to find out depression set in really bad and any motivation to stay in shape went out the window. Also, due to permanent nerve damage and a total inability to use my right arm for approx 6 months cause severe atrophy of my right arm and roughly 50% reduction in strength. I topped out at 260 pounds in March/April approximately 2 years after my neck surgery.

I am happy to say I have lost 19 pounds since starting a medically supervised exercise program about 1 month ago. Over all, I have lost almost 35 pounds. I use an elliptical cross trainer which works my upper body as well. I noticed last night that my right arm has grown in strength and size. it is now the same size as my left arm. My overall strength has increased.

I am now able to pick up my 4 year old son without straining. I am finally able to feel comfortable enough to get into the pool and play with my children.

I have had tremendous support from my kids and, especially, my wonderful wife.

Thanks to all who have been here, too, to provide support as well.

I thank God every day I am able do things I was not able to do 2 years ago.

200 pounds here I come. Weight training, eventually, here I come. A stronger healthier me, here I come.

KMOA

Replies

• NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story. Praise God indeed!!!!!!
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I hope you continue to share your success and inspire the so many like you that need help!
  • shimewazaMan
    shimewazaMan Posts: 413
    Options
    Way to go man! Thanks for the inspiration! Keep pushing yourself.
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    That's awesome that you are progressing so well. You'll be good as new and down to 200 in no time!
  • wardf
    wardf Posts: 33
    Options
    That is an incredible story, congratulations, ...never give up!

Forrest
  • colonial96
    colonial96 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Limitations from surgery was a factor for me being in this situation too. Thank you for the inspiration to keep fighting through it!
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Yes God is good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!