What am I doing wrong?

Options
I have been at this for two months now, and had lost 2 pounds. I weighed this morning and I am back to where I started.
I have gone from no water a day to a minimum of 5 a day.
Eleminated soda and sugars.
Increased whole wheats, veggies, and fruits.
Exercising every day.
So about a week and a half ago, when things hadn't changed I increased my calories, thinking I wasn't eating enough. I have also increased the intensity of my workouts as I was feeling like I was slacking off a little in that department. So I weigh this morning with a gain, so I take my measurements because hey... maybe im building more muscle. Guess what! NO Change either. Does anyone have any suggestion, I am sooo discouraged....:frown: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    I have been at this for two months now, and had lost 2 pounds. I weighed this morning and I am back to where I started.
    I have gone from no water a day to a minimum of 5 a day.
    Eleminated soda and sugars.
    Increased whole wheats, veggies, and fruits.
    Exercising every day.
    So about a week and a half ago, when things hadn't changed I increased my calories, thinking I wasn't eating enough. I have also increased the intensity of my workouts as I was feeling like I was slacking off a little in that department. So I weigh this morning with a gain, so I take my measurements because hey... maybe im building more muscle. Guess what! NO Change either. Does anyone have any suggestion, I am sooo discouraged....:frown: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Three questions:

Have you consulted a doctor about your weight loss? You may have an underlying medical condition that makes it difficult for you to lose.

How close are you to your goal weight? The less you have to lose, the slower it goes. Sometimes the body just takes a break from losing. Sometimes it takes around a month for changes you've recently made to show up on the scale (so sad, but true)

A big mistake I made was overestimating my exercise calories. Be very careful there. Some of the estimate here are pretty high, I think. So, my advice would be to double check that.

Keep your chin up! I've taken long (month long) breaks from the scale, as it really brings me down. Maybe that's something that would work for you? Use how your clothes are fitting (ie: not getting tighter) to guide you instead.

:flowerforyou:
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have increased the intensity of your workouts and calorie intake you may be gaining muscle weight. :wink:
    Also I'm male and 5ft 11, I'm told I can consume nearly 4900 calories a day, but I know if I consume more than 3500 I will put on weight :huh:
  • dawn66
    Options
    I saw my doctor about two months ago, and had blood work done, thyroid etc. All was fine. I see him again in a few weeks and will definately talk to him abou this.
    My goal weight is twenty pounds lighter. My body hasn't taken a break from loosing, as it hasn't even started yet... lol
    I thought about the calories going in and out and have tried to adjust accordingly. Even bought measuring cups so that my food was more accurate.
    I am certainly not giving up... but just so discouraged.
    Thanks
    Three questions:

Have you consulted a doctor about your weight loss? You may have an underlying medical condition that makes it difficult for you to lose.

How close are you to your goal weight? The less you have to lose, the slower it goes. Sometimes the body just takes a break from losing. Sometimes it takes around a month for changes you've recently made to show up on the scale (so sad, but true)

A big mistake I made was overestimating my exercise calories. Be very careful there. Some of the estimate here are pretty high, I think. So, my advice would be to double check that.

Keep your chin up! I've taken long (month long) breaks from the scale, as it really brings me down. Maybe that's something that would work for you? Use how your clothes are fitting (ie: not getting tighter) to guide you instead.

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I lose weigh really slowly..... I have been working out for a year and last year I was not losing anything but I was actually gaining. I was trying to eat 5-6 small meals a day. Once I stopped eating 5-6 meals this year I started losing. If I eat more than 1200 cals I just maintain and also if I eat all the carbs I am allowed, It does not matter if I eat 1200 calories, I just maintain. I have notices that my body is getting really toned..even though my clothes are only a little lose, I feel like I look better. Maybe that's whats happening with you. Your calfs might be toning up. or maybe your hips and stomach are becoming tighter???

It will be ok... Just give it time! :)
  • alaskagal
    Options
    I don't have any advice beyond the excellent things that have already been written, but I did want to let you know that I definitely feel your pain. I'm in the midst of basically the exact same thing. I've started eating a bit more to see if that's the problem but I'm worried about seeing a weight gain vs. a loss. I, too, have been to the dr. and don't have any "medical" conditions other than being in the midst of 'hormone turmoil'. I'm wondering in my case if that isn't the reason for these last reluctant pounds to cling so fiercely. I console myself with the thought that at least I'm getting healthier but...I sure would like to see the scale showing those results, too.

Hang in there -- you're definitely not alone!

• catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I'm having a horrible time at the scales also. I'm off to the doctor the middle of March for some testing and advice. Not that I trust medical advice, since it's aimed at the masses, but maybe something needs some attention. I look for my successes where I can find them. I have only occassional pain in my knee, the pain in my left foot is gone entirely, the pain in my right is bearable, I look good in my Gap jeans, I can walk up the driveway with the trash can without taking a break half way, I'm looking forward to spring break and all the walking, and I love being here on the site. The scale says I've lost only 4 pounds since Jan 6, almost 2 months so I'm depressed about that. Personally, I've reduced the amount of calories I burn and improved the way I eat and that's helped because I've lost two of those this week. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress this week, especially the last couple of days, but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward. In the big picture, I suppose I'd be content if I weighed the same forever but continued to improve health wise. Good luck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You'll have to wait longer than 10 days to see a change in the scales from increasing calories and activity. If you were undereating, certain hormone levels changed, causing your metabolism to slow. It takes time for your BMR to increase (and it does). You didn't put the fat on in 10 days, it's not going to come off that fast. You just have to be patient and leave your scale alone for a few weeks.
  • dawn66
    Options
    Ok !!!! lets see how strong my willpower is to stay away from the scales. Thanks Everyone!!!
    Have a great weekend, im off to the ski hill and to 2 hours of snow shoeing.
    D
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    By the way, Dawn66---CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!! That's a huge thing and is probably the best thing you could have done for your overall health! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: