So frustrated....

Options
I just need a minute to vent...

I have worked my butt off for the past year and a half counting calories and exercising, and as a result I have lost 98 pounds. A co-worker/friend of mine had gastric bypass surgery in December and has lost approximately 60 pounds. She claims she didn't do it to lose weight, she did it to help with her acid reflux; I have my own opinion of her reason for the surgery, but this isn't the place for that...

Anyway, I have gone from a 24 to a 14, and I feel very happy about the progress I have made. I am not the boasting type-If someone asks about my weight loss, I answer. But I don't run around telling everyone how much I have lost or what I have done.

Lately, I have heard a lot of comments about how great my friend looks and how successful she has been. I am sitting right next to her, and no one says a word to me. One co-worker even went so far as to tell me that I have some work to do if I want to be the skinny girl in the office.

I know that most of what I'm feeling is jealousy. But it's eating at my new-found self confidence. It hurts my feelings that I have worked so hard, but I'm still considered the "fat girl." It's killing me to sit here and listen to how great she looks and how hard she has worked, and to hear no positive comments directed toward me.

Okay...rant over...

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wait, are you saying that in the year and a half that you've lost almost 100 pounds that no one has noticed your weight loss and complimented you? Or is it just that she's the one that's now getting attention, and as you're admitting, you're just jealous?

If it's the former - that's just odd and I'm not sure what to make of it. My only thought was maybe you're not wearing the right size for your shape so you look bigger than you are? But you said you went down in sizes so that doesn't make sense either...

If it's the latter - all you can do is smile and let it go.

Forget what other people say about you! What the hell do they know about your struggles and what you've gone through?
    You have to find joy within yourself and be proud of what you've accomplished! When these bad feelings get in your head, stop and think - is it really worth my time and energy to be consumed by this negativity? The obvious answer is hell no! But our emotions don't always follow logic so if you find yourself getting frustrated, take a breather and go for a walk to clear your mind and get to your happy place.

By the way, that co-worker that made the skinny girl statement is a total jacka$$!!
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can imagine how frustrating that would be, but just know that you have been doing good things for yourself and making progress. Don't let rude people get you down. It's so awful what your co-worker said to you!!! I bet they're not perfect either! Hang in there!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yep. It sucks, but you are just going to have to let it go.

Stop comparing yourself to others and stop letting others determine your self worth.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Life's not fair, is it :laugh:

Stop comparing yourself to anyone else ....... it's a waste of time & energy ...... and let no one ('cept us, of course) know that it bothered you ...... instead, pat yourself on the back for a job well done ....... because losing all that weight through eating changes & exercise is AMAZING !

(btw, my cousin-in-law lost weight through gastric bypass & then gained most of it back ...... she obviously never learned how to eat properly :tongue: )
  • fit2be85
    fit2be85 Posts: 1
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Girl!!! First of Congrats i takes alot of work to lose 98 lbs!! you should be proud of yourselve and screw them.. She took the easy way out! you didnt so just that should make u proud!
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    Don't sit by her anymore!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    100#s in a year and a half! Amazing! You did the work. You've made a lifestyle change that you will stick to.
    I do feel your pain. I have lost 30#s and none of my coworkers seem to have noticed. Friends and family have given me the encouragement I need.

Stick with it you are my hero!:drinker:
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wait, are you saying that in the year and a half that you've lost almost 100 pounds that no one has noticed your weight loss and complimented you? Or is it just that she's the one that's now getting attention, and as you're admitting, you're just jealous?

If it's the former - that's just odd and I'm not sure what to make of it. My only thought was maybe you're not wearing the right size for your shape so you look bigger than you are? But you said you went down in sizes so that doesn't make sense either...

I have received compliments from people when she is not around, but it seems like she attracts all of the attention when we are in the room together. There are two people I have worked with for three years who have yet to say a single word about my weight loss, but have no problem commenting about how great she looks every day.

Usually I'm not bothered by it, but for some reason, it has me really upset today.
  • crb1988
    Options
    Don't sit by her anymore!

I think this will solve all of my problems :bigsmile:
  • GilM39
    GilM39 Posts: 1
    Options
    You did it the right way! No cheating, no surgery- just pure self-discipline! Let others take short cuts in life, but don’t diminish your accomplishment with the comments of what other folks may say, many would not have the wherewithal to achieve a 100-lbs weight loss. Finally, do it all for yourself as that is all that truly matters and what will sustain your continual progress. You have a lot to be proud of!
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Don't let thoughtless people get you down. The person who said you have more work to do, is a jerk, to put it politely.

Since she lost the weight so fast, it is very dramatic and will draw comments. I also know people who have had that surgery and gained all the weight back and more.

We all have days when things to get us more than others. You have had fantastic progress!!
  • JeniLJ
    JeniLJ Posts: 5
    Options
    Your co-worker seeks the attention so she's getting it. You don't seek the attention so maybe people feel more shy about approaching you?? You are amazing! Walk out of that office towards the friends and family who love you to get the support you deserve!
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I just need a minute to vent...

I have worked my butt off for the past year and a half counting calories and exercising, and as a result I have lost 98 pounds. A co-worker/friend of mine had gastric bypass surgery in December and has lost approximately 60 pounds. She claims she didn't do it to lose weight, she did it to help with her acid reflux; I have my own opinion of her reason for the surgery, but this isn't the place for that...

Anyway, I have gone from a 24 to a 14, and I feel very happy about the progress I have made. I am not the boasting type-If someone asks about my weight loss, I answer. But I don't run around telling everyone how much I have lost or what I have done.

Lately, I have heard a lot of comments about how great my friend looks and how successful she has been. I am sitting right next to her, and no one says a word to me. One co-worker even went so far as to tell me that I have some work to do if I want to be the skinny girl in the office.

I know that most of what I'm feeling is jealousy. But it's eating at my new-found self confidence. It hurts my feelings that I have worked so hard, but I'm still considered the "fat girl." It's killing me to sit here and listen to how great she looks and how hard she has worked, and to hear no positive comments directed toward me.

Okay...rant over...

Have a big sandwich in front of her, with GB she can't really eat bread anymore, so I'd be making toast till she went crazy :D
  • crb1988
    Options
    Have a big sandwich in front of her, with GB she can't really eat bread anymore, so I'd be making toast till she went crazy :D

That is so evil...I like it :devil:
  • fitfunnygal
    Options
    You need to remember one thing...when she is done she will need to get rid of a lot of skin....that's what happens when you loose weight to fast. You on the other hand will not have to do that.

Be proud of what you have done! Who cares what anyone else thinks. Use that to motivate you to keep going. You know you did it all on your own. Be proud of that!
  • Linkedkube
    Linkedkube Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm with the OP here. That situation is really sucky. But if it will make you feel better a lot of us are in the same boat. Working hard, counting calories. Coming to this forum for motivation. Its okay, we'll be fine. You'll be fine. It was 98 degrees yesterday. I ran 3 miles in the afternoon and finished in the evening with a 1 mile jog. I'm sure I feel better about myself more so than the guy with this stomach stapled, sitting on the couch with his small bag of doritos because he can't finish a large one anymore.
  • OmegaWaddles
    Options
    I've lost 11 pounds in one week (Water weight I know) But it feels good. I've worked my *kitten* of for those 11 pounds too so its frustrating that I'm not seeing results other than on the scale. Basically what I'm saying is I know how frustrating weight loss can be especially when someone didn't work for it. But you just have to keep doing what your doing (98 pounds in a year that's awesome keep up the work!) and don't let it bother you! Since you're losing it slow you'll keep the elasticity of your skin, she on the other hand will not. Just keep doing what your doing (:
  • BOOKNHAND
    BOOKNHAND Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First off, I AM VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As for the "people", and use the term loosely, they ain't worth it. You are. You loved yourself enough to become a healthier you. Losing 98 lbs in a year and a half is amazing. I hope to have as close as the same success as you. The ones that have posted here have spoken the truth. Slow and steady win the race. Thank you for being you!!!