Too old to ride a bike?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You are not too old at all!!!! One of my sorority sisters just learned and she is 20! I truly believe you can learn to ride a bike at any age. I strongly encourage you to teach yourself! It is not only a great cardio workout but also a lot of fun once you get better at it! Don't forget to wear a helmet.... I know some (especially older people) think they are 'too cool' or whatnot but safety first! I'd rather look a little silly in a helmet then have a smashed head on the ground if something bad were to happen.... just sayin.

But seriously get out there and LEARN!!! You will be SO glad you did!!! :)
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to be like 80, or something.

Get on the damn bike.

If you've ridden before, it should be a piece of cake.

As they say, it's like riding a bike, you'll never forget.

Go for it, it's great fun!
  • JamieAlexandraX
    JamieAlexandraX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your never to old to learn to ride a bike.
    As someone has already suggested try youtube. Would love to hear how you progress.
    Good luck!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You're NEVER too old to learn anything!!

There is noone you could ask to teach you? Or are you just embarressed? Don't be. If a friend or family member came to me asking that i would help them. There are plenty of ppl in this world who learn things later in life because of one reason or another.

If not, teach yourself! I imagine as an adult with longer legs it's much easier now to keep balance anyways.
  • StrongerNC
    StrongerNC Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I posted about this just a few days ago and was pleasantly suprised by how many other people were in the same position. I'm currenlty trying to learn with the help of some friends...it's not going great, but I'm determined!!! You can do it!!!
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    you can teach yourself to ride a bike....I am 53 years old and had not been on a bike since I was like 14 or 15. My husband bought me one a month ago and I am riding 10-15 MPH atleast 5-10 miles everyday. I LOVE IT...it is great exercise and calorie burn and it is so much fun :) JUST DO IT!!!!!! You will be so glad you did :)
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Borrow a cruiser.... big tires, one gear and give it a try
    Keep it simple.... :)
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    yes, you can do it! I just got into cycling about 6 months ago and I'm addicted.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is like sex.
    It's not hard to master, but you may fumble around a bit at first.
    Just get out and do it. You'll be fine and riding high before long in a day or so.
    Fear NOT!
    Even Don Juan was a novice his first time out.
    Good Luck!

Wow, hate to disagree with you Bobby....but bike riding is not quite like sex. It is definitely hard to master. Most men are still fumbling around well into their dotage......those that have mastered it are well kept secrets (we women do not brag about those ones, as we want to keep them). :blushing: :blushing:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You're never too old. If JB Fletcher can ride a bike, then so can you. If you don't know who that is, then you are definitely not too old. ;)
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    my dad is 60 and easily cycles 50 miles (on a road bike of course...:)) never too hold to ride unless you have a medical condition that says otherwise!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Short answer: Yes!

I relearned riding a bike when I was in my 40s. At 21, you should pick it up in no time. Just don't clip in until you're really, really, really confident.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Bike riding is like sex.
    It's not hard to master, but you may fumble around a bit at first.
    Just get out and do it. You'll be fine and riding high before long in a day or so.
    Fear NOT!
    Even Don Juan was a novice his first time out.
    Good Luck!

Wow, hate to disagree with you Bobby....but bike riding is not quite like sex. It is definitely hard to master. Most men are still fumbling around well into their dotage......those that have mastered it are well kept secrets (we women do not brag about those ones, as we want to keep them). :blushing: :blushing:

Ain't that the truth! :D