Beef

bkguarna
bkguarna Posts: 11 Member
Hey folks, I love beef. I've recently discovered bison as well (makes a great burger) but i've been wondering; Should a 10oz steak that cooks down to 8oz put in as 10 or 8? I've been erring on the side of caution and saying 10.

Also, if I'm going to get my steak once a week, what's the best cut (bang for buck nutrition wise)? My favorite is a nice NY Strip, but some people tell me that Filet Mignon is a leaner alternative.

Thanks,
Brian

Replies

• Cervantest
    Cervantest Posts: 31 Member
    Hi! I don't have an answer to your question but would love to know about the weighing of meat in general. Like you, if I weigh a 6oz chicken breast and it cooks down to 4oz what do I do. Do you weigh meat before or after cooking? Probably a stupid question but I'd really like to know. Like you also, I've gone with the higher weight. Good luck and please feel free to enlighten me!
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    1) I believe most weights are pre-cooking (unless the description says something like "4 oz cooked"); and
    2) Filets are indeed a leaner cut of steak. I believe some sirloins are also lower in fat than strips or ribeyes, but don't quote me on that. hehe
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    1. Always weigh pre-cooked or raw.

2. Fillet Minion is not a leaner cut of meat, it's tender because of fat or marbling. Lean cuts of meat include but are not limited too: Shoulder clod, Top sirloin, Bottom sirloin (flap meat if your from New England), Inside rounds, Brisket, Shank, Chuck rolls, Plate steak. Most of those cuts are also cheap because they are so lean and tend to be on the tougher side...thus less desirable.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    1. Always weigh pre-cooked or raw.

2. Fillet Minion is not a leaner cut of meat, it's tender because of fat or marbling. Lean cuts of meat include but are not limited too: Shoulder clod, Top sirloin, Bottom sirloin (flap meat if your from New England), Inside rounds, Brisket, Shank, Chuck rolls, Plate steak. Most of those cuts are also cheap because they are so lean and tend to be on the tougher side...thus less desirable.
    First of all, ^this is a great answer to your questions. Secondly, beef is awesome. That is all.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Filets are typically leaner or at least as lean as sirloin.
  • Now I feel like having me a nice medium rare steak *drools
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    And anything from the loin isn't considered lean...At least not in my opinion.

So Porterhouse, T-Bone (Delmontico), NY Strips, Tri-Tips, and Coulotte cuts aren't exactly as lean as they come...but they sure are delicious and..unless you're old or have some blood/heart condition I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy your steak man.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Filet, tenderloin, and top sirloin are my favorite lean cuts. I eat a nice 10-12 oz steak once a week (I'd do it more if I had the budget).
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Personal choice is generally a good NY Strip. I will trim as much of the outer ring of fat away that I can without damaging the cut. Anything off the tenderloin is generally on the lean side if trimmed properly. You could get a whole tenderloin, trim the external fat and silver skin, and portion out some nice steaks from that.

Just don't over cook a good steak. If you want medium, cook to medium-rare and then let rest on a plate covered under some aluminum foil for 5-7 minutes before you go to cut it. You'll end up with a medium cooked steak that is moist and juicy.