Low blood sugar...

Options
Let me start by saying that I have a doctor's appointment (although not until October 20something) and am just looking to see if anyone has any advice for me in the meantime. I don't mean to this to be a substitute for medical advice.

I have blood sugar issues. I read about hypoglycemia (among a ton of other things) online, and would bet the farm that that's my issue. I know everyone thinks they can diagnose themselves on the internet, but I'm pretty convinced. Anyhow, the doctor's appointment will be telling.

It kind of comes and goes- there are days when it's not an issue at all, and days where it's life-altering. Sometimes I feel weak, out of it, very "blah" as I call it- nothing matters to me, tired, lethargic, unmotivated, unable to concentrate, shakey (to the point when you can see my hand wiggle back and forth and it's very difficult to write or type), and clamy. I believe all of this is due to low blood sugar.

I don't eat a lot of sugar- never have been a big sweets person. However, there are days- usually the days with the symptoms mentioned above, where I become *fixated* on sugar. I cannot get it out of my head, and crave (for lack of a better word) it SO badly- like it's an addiction.

As you can tell, I'm essentially doing the '3 steps forward, 2 steps back then 5 steps forward and 6 steps back' in terms of progress with my weight loss and journey here on MFP. Some days I literally have to eat something substantial or I'll pass out- which has happened before. Obviously, it's better to just have the calories than to pass out. But, of course, I end up over on my calories, sometimes significantly.

Sorry to ramble on and on. Anyone know what I can do in the meantime before I see the doctor? I'm afraid that if I have a series of bad days, I could gain a decent amount of weight. "Just don't eat the sugar" is not an option right now. If you, or someone you're close to, has blood sugar issues you'll understand. I'm NOT a hypochondriac and actually am quite the opposite. I'm not one of those "I'm only eating ice cream because I have to or I'll faint" drama queens, I promise.

I guess I'm just looking for some general support/advice. Thanks.

Replies

• tabstattooed
    Options
    get a sugar checker and check it.

Mine dips into the 30's which is bad....its not always caused by food.....stress can cause it too.

Low glycemic diets are no fun but they do work I know someone who has lost over 50 pounds by bing put on it.

my symptoms.....shakey, lips tingle feeling confused.

my thyroid is off too and that causes the tired listless feelings, cold intolerant, and so on.

Try the low glycemic diet til your appt and see how you feel. Gotta watch self diagnosis as some things seem like one thing but turn out to be the other. I was treated for many things come to find out...thyroid.....whoda thunk it????

good luck!!!!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

Try the low glycemic diet til your appt and see how you feel. Gotta watch self diagnosis as some things seem like one thing but turn out to be the other. I was treated for many things come to find out...thyroid.....whoda thunk it????

good luck!!!!!

Yes- I am very aware of the self-diagnosis dangers. Hypoglycemia is nothing but my best guess right now, until my appointment.

Thanks for your input! :smile:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic (type II) and generally don't have issues with low blood sugar. But, what I have learned is that eliminating all refined sugar from my diet and eating every 3 hours or so helps me maintain a constant blood sugar. I also eat a low glycemic diet. Not strictly following any particular diet, but generally speaking low glycemic.

Before being diagnosed with diabetes, I thought I had issues with low blood sugar, but it wasn't really low, it was low for me at the time, but not truly low. So, you could have any of a range of issues. Definitely go over all symptoms with your doctor.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thank you. As silly as it sounds, my biggest stress is coming from that fact that it's inhibiting my ability to eat the way I want to.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating 6 small meals. That is what all the research showes works with anyone with hyper or hypoglycemia. It helps the body process sugar (all types) better therefore decreasing incidents. Good luck.
    Is your heart rate every crazy high or low durring these attacks?- Just FYI that is something the MD will want to know
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I do eat every 3 hours without fail- no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I don't know about my heart rate- I will have to check that out. I guess I could strap on my HRM when it happens. Thanks for the heads up! I want to get the most out of my appointment with the doctor!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Anyone know of any good resources (websites) for information regarding a low glycemic diet? I have just been googling food individually to see what kinds of meals I could try having. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    kelynn- combine a protein with your carb. try to keep to good quality carbs (whole grains and fiber). Eating the protein with your carb helps it take longer for your carb to digest. here are examples

string cheese & apple
    peanutbutter & apple
    little bit of nuts & piece of fruit
    whole grain bread w/peanutbutter
    cottage cheese & fruit
    chicken breast & pasta or rice

Eating every few hours helps also. Been there and done that.

Here is a resource we give at work:

Hypoglycemia means that your blood sugar is low and your body is not getting enough fuel. Some people
    get low blood sugar from not eating often enough. Some medicines to treat diabetes can cause low blood
    sugar. People who have had surgery on their stomachs or intestines may get hypoglycemia. Problems
    with the pancreas, kidneys, or liver also can cause low blood sugar.
    A snack or drink with sugar in it will raise your blood sugar and should ease your symptoms right away.
    Your doctor may recommend that you change or stop your medicines until you can get your blood sugar
    levels under control. In the long run, you may need to change your diet and eating habits so that you get
    enough fuel for your body throughout the day.
    Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all
    appointments, and call your doctor if you are having problems. It’s also a good idea to know your test
    results and keep a list of the medicines you take.
    How can you care for yourself at home?
    • Learn to recognize the early signs of low blood sugar. Signs include:
    • Nausea.
    • Hunger.
    • Feeling nervous, irritable, or shaky.
    • Cold, clammy, wet skin.
    • Sweating (when you are not exercising).
    • A fast heartbeat.
    • Confusion.
    • If you feel an episode of low blood sugar coming on, drink fruit juice or sugared (not diet) soda,
    or eat sugar in the form of candy, cubes, or tablets. Raisins are another quick-sugar food.
    • Eat small, frequent meals so that you do not get too hungry between meals.
    • Balance extra exercise with eating more.
    • Keep a written record of your low blood sugar episodes, including when you last ate and what
    you ate, so that you can learn what causes your blood sugar to drop.
    • Make sure your family, friends, and coworkers know the symptoms of low blood sugar and know
    what to do to get your sugar level up.
    When should you call for help?
    Call 911 anytime you think you may need emergency care. For example, call if:
    • You have a seizure.
    • You pass out (lose consciousness).
    • You have symptoms of low blood sugar that do not get better after you eat or drink something
    with sugar in it.
    • You feel confused or have trouble thinking.
    Call your doctor now or seek immediate medical care if:
    • Your vision gets blurry, you feel dizzy, or you get a headache.
    • You feel weak or drowsy.
    • You have trouble standing, walking, or talking.
    Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor if:
    • Your symptoms continue or return.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thank you so much- that symptoms list fits me perfectly, unfortunately.

Thanks for the information- I appreciate it SO much :flowerforyou: