By myself

Options

Replies

• rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Hello, I'm gonna fill you in on my thoughts. I've been married 45 years to my soul mate and I love doing things with him but one day he turned me down when I wanted to go see a chick flick, then he turned me down when I wanted to go to a certain restrauant,, it's not that he didn't want to go just that he didn't want to go then because there was a ballgame on tv. I made up my mind that I couldn't let life pass me by because of football, baseball, scoccer and whatever else was on tv. He is perfectly fine if I go with other friends. We still find time to be together and to tell you the truth it has strengthened our relationship because I have become more independent. Please, whatever you decided to do, don't nag...it'll get you no where. Call a friend! Good luck, set a good example, he'll come around!
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    How badly do you want to achieve your goals? Either you're committed or you aren't.
    ^This ^

Would it work better to have a drill sargeant type motivator? Or perhaps a buddy to put their arm around you and say "You know what? I believe in you...You can do it (rah rah rah).

I strongly believe everyone has a "get up and do" mode...If only they knew what it took to do it.
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    On days where I'm feeling less motivated I push myself particularly hard to do what I need to do- those are the days I need it the most. I think if you don't push yourself especially hard on those days, you'll slip into the habit of "I'll do it tomorrow instead" and the excuse of feeling unmotivated eventually turns into a recurring, straight up "can't be bothered".
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love to workout by myself it is the one time of day that I'm totally selfish, it is all about me how I feel, what thoughts are in my head, and how I feel when I'm done. I don't really want to talk to anyone (other than good morning, how's it going). I plug in my ear buds and enter my own peacefull, sweaty world.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    How badly do you want to achieve your goals? Either you're committed or you aren't.
    stay home...keep the body you have now. Go to the gym and you're day closer to the body of your dreams.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    why don't you find an exercise buddy? Or join a walking group? or like everyone says..just do it yourself. I just got finished biking while my husband is at work, in fact:)
  • MichelleLee73
    Options
    I work out every day by myself on my lunch break. Its just me and the mat and the machines and the weights... this is MY time... why? Because "I" deserve it. No one screaming mommy. No one pushing me cause I can't keep up. Its me and my goal...

I love this! ^^^
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, "What else am I going to do with this time; this 30-60 minutes that I would spend at the gym?" If the answer involves sitting around on the computer or watching TV or a movie or video games, I get up and workout. It really only has to be 30-60 minutes of your day, so why not?
  • jennatha
    jennatha Posts: 20
    Options
    I am also not a fan of working out alone. Is there a group class going on anywhere close to you? I joined zumba and a circ. class and love it. For the days that I have to work out on my own I down loaded the tabata app for my iphone and crank the music up:) The tabata keeps you so busy that you dont have time to even think about being alone....I love it :smile:
  • jennatha
    jennatha Posts: 20
    Options
    I would have to agree....sometimes you just have to do something you dont like. Took me a good 3 months after starting my diet to get my butt in the gym alone. Yes, it was uncomfortable at first but I knew I had to do it if I wanted to get in shape. Since then I joined a functional strength training class...rowfit class and zumba. You never know...you might grow to enjoy your alone time like I have:)
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Once a week, I work out with a friend. Once or twice a week, I work out with my husband. I love it and those are easy workouts to show up for.

Other days, I work out on my own. It sucks. But I do it and I am in better shape for it.
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I started with my husband but he gave out after a little while. I think now he wishes he had kept going because I have reached my initial goal and he is still needing to lose weight. Somewhere along the line, my goals shifted from losing weight to getting more fit. I just signed up for a half marathon! My advice to you is to make some goals for yourself beyond weight loss. Sign up for a race...that should keep you moving. Since July of last year, I have been in 6 races. I haven't been fast, but it is a fun atmosphere to be around. After the first 5k I wanted to do more.

I know it's tough, but I am so glad I went out on those days and ran alone. I have come to enjoy that time. I still don't "love" running, but I love the sense of achievement afterwards.

Best of luck achieving your goals!
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    I DID IT!!! I went running all by myself.....I kept procrastinating but by the time I got out there I was in it to win it.....I also jogged a lot longer than I usually do.....I enjoyed the outdoors (Even though it was like 98 degrees lol) It was nice to get a way for a little while......Hubby and I talked and ( For those of you who are familiar with the show "How I Met Your Mother) I told him that I felt like the Lily and Marshall couple.....He wants me to get out there and enjoy things on my own but its hard.....Thanks for the support.....Yes I've tried at home but we live on a 2nd floor of a really old creaky apt complex where most of my workouts echo downstairs lol.

Okay!!! Let me clear something up!!!! My husband is the best and he goes with me 95% of the time to workout.....I didn't mean for it to come out that he doesn't support me.....The reason he said that was because he works WAYYYYYY to much and his body shut down on him last week with temp running and puking all day.....He has decided that he was going to take a few days off from working out with me so he can rest at home......He said he wouldn't stop me from running though....I'm so sorry I confused everyone. I just have a hard time doing things on my own.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It costs a lot of money, but get a personal trainer. There's something about having homework and a deadline and a PERSON you have to check in with every week who's going to call you on it if you're not on track!

Yep. Hire a trainer. Dropping money is great motivation and you will gain a best friend.
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I never have a work out buddy. My husband is not the type to care about his looks. Best of all he doesn't care about mine either. But he knows I do, so he supports me fully. I never go to a gym, I either walk outside, or I do aerobics or more recently I have discovered that I LOVE Zumba! So I watch youtube videos and do it alone. It's kind of like having friends to work out with. :)
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How do I get motivated enough to workout by myself??? It's always been my husband and I and ,like today for example, he wants to stay home but said he wouldn't stop me from going.....Part of me wants to stay home too. I need to motivate myself to go by myself.....I went running last Friday by myself but I don't have the motivation to do it tonight.

I know that feeling!!! The best advice I've heard was to give yourself three real reasons that you want to do something. If they are important to you and you have at least three reasons then you will probably stick with your program.

eg. I want to lose weight SO THAT I can feel confident in a biking. I want to lose weight SO THAT I look good to my husband Naked :) ! I want to lose weight SO THAT I can pursue modeling.
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great update. I'm so glad that you got out there!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't work out, as a matter of fact, he decides that he is too lazy to exercise and would much rather lay about then work out with me.

But, it doesn't stop me, i still work out because I am doing this for me, and for my son, and that it is time to focus on myself, battling depression, and learning how to live after losing my mom and grandma. I got to a point where I decided that maybe he will come around, if not, o well, because I want to be happy, look good, and finally wear things i couldn't wear before, and most importantly, be around for my son so I don't die young. also, to be able to run 5ks and maybe one day a marthon....who knows, the future is limitless.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I actually hate exercising with others, unless its a dance class, or martial arts or another group thing...
    running, cycling, swimming, weights, that's something to do on my own. I like going my own speed, talking to myself, pacing myself. On my own, i can decide on an intensity and maintain the same heart rate +-5bpm throughout a run, without checking my HRM. with other people around, that's all messed up. i don't listen to music for that same reason, it throws off my pace.

maybe i am not very social :tongue:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Try a variety of things, figure out what works for you.

* Find other exercise buddies.
    * Develop alternative exercise routines you can do at home.
    * Learn to enjoy the time you challenge yourself or the "peace" of exercising on your own.
    * Commit to a plan -- a certain number of days or minutes.
    * Do something to make yourself accountable. Since your husband is supportive, he could still be the one you "report" to, even when he doesn't go. Or report to someone here or just the system.
    * I find that committing to a class by signing up for it (and maybe paying a nominal amount) helps me.
    * Plan non-food treats for yourself if you meet your goals.

Good luck.