lamictal and effexor as mood stabilizer and anti depressant

sabes2631
sabes2631 Posts: 403 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have finally decided to address my mood swings and depression.
I am in therapy and that has been a tremendous help.
I am newly married. I am a successful professional. Own a new home.
But I am so tired of dealing with the ups and downs.

The thing is that being on medication scares the **** out of me. It makes me feel defeated and more depressed at the thought of being on it.

I took the first one for the first time tonight. I am afraid of taking anything.

Has anyone experienced this combo? I am seeing a therapist 2x a month and the shrink for medication monitoring every 3 weeks -- so I am going about it correctly.

Just really scared i guess.:cry:

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I have never heard of lamictal, is this generic for something else? My brother use to be on effexor and it worked wonders. I take Cymbalta. Don't feel defeated, sometime we just need a little help. I am so much better on medicine. I think of it like anything else, I don't want to get pregnant so I take birth control pills, I don't want to be a b**tch or get a divorce so I take an anti-depressant. :laugh:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    I had serious depression and drug problems in my teenage years so I kind of know what your going thru, of course each scenario is different. And YES you are going about things the right way.. but if you need anything I'm here!!
  • I am getting off Effexor xr. It worked really well for me for about 11 yrs, now I am switching to Zoloft. I am scared Zoloft might make me gain weight. I took Lamictal, it did nothing for me. I think that is more fr people with Bi polarism. I do not have that. Sometimes it is perscribed for mood swings, but I think Effexor should be enough. I took it for anxiety. Wellbutrin is good too. Dont take them both together. I did that and my last doc said that was a total over kill for someone with anxiety.
  • sabes2631
    Thanks. I think the dr. thinks i am slightly bi polar. Which makes sense because when i cam in a good mood, its really good, but i always know with that a few days of really bad are coming. It isnt extreme, but enough to make my husband a little nuts.

The effexor has made me soooooo very greenly nauseous this morning. I feel like if i throw up i will feel better.
  • sabes2631
    less nausea today. and i know that it takes a while to work, but i didnt have that feeling of dread driving into work today or that impending feeling of doom or that heavy sadness of wanting to crawl under a rock and die...

so i guees that is good.

i also havent had my daily intake of wine since i began 3 days ago. a good thing is that my tummy isnt as bloated today! lol
This discussion has been closed.