My Re-Introduction to MFP

Options
Hello everyone! I was here about 9-12 months ago [under the name StarCass] and ended up leaving. I found it annoying entering in everything I ate and found I mostly skipped entering things in, especially if it was an already prepared meal at a different house than mine or just a quick snack. In the past 5 months I've seemed to gain about 40-50 pounds while becoming a bit more active than I usually am, and trying to eat just a little bit better. It's highly aggravating me so I thought about joining back on MFP and on Sunday I re-joined late that night.
Yesterday was my first day keeping track of the calorie intake, and I ended up having to enter in a quick-calorie count this morning for something I forgot to log in yesterday. I also forgot a little bit of chips and dip, *shrug*. <-- SEE?! It's starting already. I don't know if it's pure laziness or if I just don't fully buy into the 'counting calories' bit. Either way, here I am again. This time around I am going to try to exercise in a few different ways that I will hopefully enjoy. See the thing you've got to know about me, I HATE running. With a passion. I used to love it when I was little and then puberty hit and it just hurt to run. Boobs bouncing all over hurt, and, let's face it, can be a bit embarrassing to deal with. I also get those side pains very quickly, and I tend to take that as "alright, time to be done with this run". Hating running has lead into hating all cardio activities, until I recently remembered that Jump Ropes exist. Now there's something I can get into: jumping rope. I ordered one online about 2-3 months ago but it has been so blasted hot out I haven't been able to do it. I also freaking love to ride bike, and am waiting for one to get fixed up a bit by my dad before I begin bike riding. But again, it's been so hot out I don't know how much I'd really get out there to go, but I have a feeling I'd be out there a few days a week in the evening after the sun goes down since bike riding gives you a bit of a breeze. I also purchased 'Your Shape: My Fitness Evolved 2012' for the Kinect a while back and haven't done it very much, but what I have dabbled with I have loved! It didn't feel like a work-out and I was shocked when I discovered I had been working-out for 30 minutes when I was done. As you can probably gather from my wordy blurb here, I am lacking motivation/energy to even exercise. UGH-Exercise. A dirty word to me, I hate to sweat. Well, there you have it. I’ve got to stop blabbering!

Replies

• thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

75% of the battle is nutrition, and 25% is exercise...

You can have excuses, or you can have results...you can't have both! ;) If there's a will there is a way! Too hot? Go do laps around the mall! It CAN be done, and there is a solution to any excuse you may have...just get creative!!!
  • meuneu
    meuneu Posts: 8
    Options
    I just restarted today as well. I have gained 26 pounds back of what I had lost. It is discouraging to think of those pounds on me that were once gone. I understand totally.
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    welcome back! i too just rejoined yesterday. i found before that i was here for more entertainment then i was to log my cals. but this time i plan to do it the right way. in just a day i can tell a difference in the way i feel. hang in there. it sucks and i hate it too, but if it helps me fit into a swim suit one day, it cant be all that bad. lol.
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    You've found my weakness: Making excuses :) I'm waay to good at rationalizing the bad things to myself, it's time to get out and do it! I was jumping rope inside but it makes my dog bark like crazy and we no longer have the room. I did have a shoulder pain for awhile so I strayed away from exercising but now that my shoulder is better I feel ready to tackle this
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    welcome back! i too just rejoined yesterday. i found before that i was here for more entertainment then i was to log my cals. but this time i plan to do it the right way. in just a day i can tell a difference in the way i feel. hang in there. it sucks and i hate it too, but if it helps me fit into a swim suit one day, it cant be all that bad. lol.

I agree, maybe it's just mental but I do feel a bit better today knowing what I have put into my body and keeping track!
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    I just restarted today as well. I have gained 26 pounds back of what I had lost.

Any idea of why they came back? That's something that I do dread, thinking that this is a new-life change is exciting but daunting at the same time, knowning that it's not something I can do for a few months but will have to stick too makes it a little harder. But I know the effort will pay off :)
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Before I started my program I listened to the audio book "Power of Habit." It helped me understand why I put my weight on to begin with. It has helped me let go of ideas that I thought were important. I was not happy with myself. Loafing in my recliner when I'm not working is not living. I've also had a lot of stressful things going on at home. That's when I decided to the gym. For an hour a day, I concentrate me and making myself better. I haven't lost much weight but I am losing inches.

Add me on as a friend if you need support!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Two words, smart phone. If you have one, the MFP app makes it so much easier to log as you go. I don't think I could keep up with it as well as I do if I didn't have my phone app at my fingertips 24/7. It really helps.
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    Thank you! I will definitely need support, I've fallen to easily into the lazy habit of sitting around. Although I don't feel lazy because I'm reading books like a mad-woman, I need to incorporate more movement in my body! So I've started dancing around while getting ready in the morning. It's gotta be doing something, even if it is just getting my blood pumping to wake me up!
  • ajalunder
    ajalunder Posts: 2
    Options
    don't let her keep you down!!! you are the most important person about losing weight!! Don't let her negativit y tell you differently!:smile:
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    That's a good point to make, Keep Positive! Thank you :smile:
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you are really honest about losing weight, you have to stop with all the excuses. One of the best exercises you can do is just walking. Instead of investing in a jump rope or videos, go out for a walk for 30 minutes everyday other day. You can take your dog with you and you don't have to really worry about side pains or other excuses that running causes. If you don't think you have time for that, sit down and actually log what you do in a day. I bet you will find you have 30 minutes free a few times a week. Start with a small goal and build on them. Try walking a few days this week. Don't worry about the scale either. You will just feel better that you are getting started. Once you get over that pile of excuses, you will be surprised how much better you will feel.

I don't mean to sound rude either. I have been in your shoes with many of the same excuses. Don't be like me and wait until you are in your 30's to get started.