MFP Newbie

Options
miriamu26
miriamu26 Posts: 19 Member
Today is my first day on MFP and I'm super excited. I have struggled with weight for many years. I'm one of those people that have to step on the scale everyday. I'm recently engaged (June 11, 2012) and I want to lose 20lbs by January 2013 (my 32nd b-day). My heaviest was 211 (2004) and my smallest was 145 in 2006. I currently weigh 161.5. I'm a peso-vegetarian and a Mommy of two (11 and 2). Feel free to add me, I can use all the support! To good health!

Replies

• pleasinglypretty
    Options
    welcome! i'm a newbie too. :) i joined 3 days ago i think? i'll add you!
  • mylovebugs1313
    Options
    Today is my first day too. Still navigating the tabs and tweeking my profile. I need to lose at least 30 lbs to get to 160, then we'll take it from there. My doctor said that if I lose as little as 20 lbs., I might be able to stop some medications. It's time to get down to business, because I have not even put on a bathing suit YET this summer!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thu 07/12/12 06:15 PM

here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does! :)
  • chatter27
    chatter27 Posts: 121
    Options
    Congrats on the engagement and welcome :D
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thu 07/12/12 06:15 PM

here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does! :)

This ^^^^^^ I could not have said it any better myself!!! :smile:
  • joanie1313
    joanie1313 Posts: 17
    Options
    Today is my first day also and I am very excited. I absolutely love how it figures the calories etc for you. No more books and looking stuff up..... I really think that will make a big difference. Also I am going to add my foods as I eat them if I can I really think that will be a great tool so as not to go over my intake amounts. Also I am seeing a lot of talk about oatmeal? Is it really that good for you on a diet. I would of thought have some fruit would be better, any thoughts on that?
  • luvmyflpflops
    Options
    my first day too! welcome to all the other "newbies"
  • luvmyflpflops
    Options
    thanks all your tips...
  • premiere1908
    Options
    I am absolutely positive you will do great! Be encouraged!