What do you do when you just don't want to work out?

Options
I'm completely losing my interest in working out. :( I literally have to talk myself into it, and force myself to actually do it. All summer long I was working out and loving it, but now that autumn has hit...that summer motivation is quickly fading. I've varied my workouts up to this point, and right now I just have no interest in any of it. It scares me because it's starting to feel like the beginning of the end...I miss that feeling that working out was giving me...now it's feeling like a chore. Blah.

Replies

• lynmayo
    lynmayo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try finding someone who will work out with me so that I have the motivation of going because I committed to someone else. Maybe try something new. I go rock climbing when I get bored with everything else because it is more of a social activity and I feel like I am developing a skill, not "working out".
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I do the WATP 4 mile. For some reason this particular one is motivating to me. I also have been breaking my treadmill walks into 12 minutes segments. I make myself do at least 2 segments per day so it doesn't seem as bad.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I add it to the list of everything else that I don't feel like doing but it needs to get done. Laundry, work, cooking dinner, mowing the yard, exercise-it just needs to be done. I find that getting started is the hardest part -and I only commit to 30 minutes-because it's doable. I've noticed that once I get started I'm glad I did it and I exercise more than 30 minutes. Hope that helps.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I want you to remember how you felt BEFORE you started working out! Do you REALLY want to feel like that again! Just give yourself a couple of days off and then get that dream butt movin!!! Yes I believe you can and will do this!!!! I have been told numerous times this summer how great I look and you know what? I say it does'nt get any easier, I do something 6 days per week and alot of days I do something two times! I refuse to be FAT again and if I can there is NO reason you can't!! I am your cheerleader so go get that GOAL and it is easier to reach when you move it!! Best wishes sweetie!!
    vhuber
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you do not watch biggest loser look up the previous episodes online and then keep up with watching them! They give tips and you look at what you never want to be or become again! You have put the effort in DO NOT GIVE UP NOW!!!! I am not going to pity you right now for this I am going to push you! I cannot make you get out there and do it! This is the a challenge you HAVE TO do on your OWN! DO IT!!! Find a person to go with you. Get a new outfit to work out in, get a new MP3 player or if you have one a new CD or a few new songs! Go to your local gym and join a work out class. Switch it up! YOU HAVE DONE IT AND YOU CAN KEEP DOING IT! DONT GIVE UP!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Reread the quote at the bottom of your signature over and over...and over.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

That thought is the only thing that's keeping me going right now. It's sad that I live in a place that only has a couple of months of warm weather, then I dread the rest of the year, isn't it? I swear I'm going to find a man in California when I lose this weight. California dreaming...

Thanks for the pep talks, Ladies. :flowerforyou:
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I get bored very quickly, so I am always changing things up. Sometimes I am into going to the gym, sometimes being outside, sometimes at home doing P90X or other video. Right now, with the weather changing, I have found it motivating to go to classes at my gym, and just bought a 20 pass punch card for Zumba. I look forward to it all week, and even though its late and already getting dark out, I still want to go! I guess my point is that you should find something you love to do, and until you do, try everything and keep mixing it up! Good luck, w/ the working out...and finding the man! :tongue: I am sure your hot self won't have any problems w/ that!
  • namaste0810
    Options

That thought is the only thing that's keeping me going right now. It's sad that I live in a place that only has a couple of months of warm weather, then I dread the rest of the year, isn't it? I swear I'm going to find a man in California when I lose this weight. California dreaming...

What really keeps me going is yoga. Its never the same from day to day. I have fittv on cable and they have new yoga everyday.
  • Daniel78
    Options
    I became bored of my old routine and had to shake things up. My old PTL (Physical Training Leader) made me run a 5k five days a week and 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical trainer to make it roughly one full hour per day of hard cardio. My knees were killing me from all of that daily running high impact and shin splints were on the rise.

I'm now running on Mon/Wed/Fri for only two miles and the rest of my cardio is split up between the elliptical, a new rowing machine at the base gym, and that evil stair stepper thing that the girls always use that have amazing bodies. If they look great and are always lined up waiting to use it then it must work! The rowing machine is fun because I can sit down and have fun with it with no impact. The elliptical is great because it's also no impact and I can watch the 20 hi-def tv's on the wall without going insane after 30-45 mins.

The key to my workouts and sticking to them is still in the works but so far what I have going is getting me by. I'll find a workout that I can do easily and pair it up with something that completely kicks my butt. I used to be horrible at running and the elliptical was always cake for me, so I'd run hard and reward myself with the elliptical. Then it became a 5k followed by 30 mins of elliptical time. Now the elliptical is useless to me because I can max it out at level 20 and go for 30 minutes at a high pace and I can't even break a sweat or get my heart rate up.

Currently I'm doing a few exercises that make my legs really sore for the next few days. I know that if I keep at them for a couple of weeks that they'll go from my weaker points to my stronger points. Every time I try a new exercise and it hurts like hell for the next few days my newfound motivation to go to the gym is to make it become a cake walk and move on to the next harder stepping stone.

Right now I'm torturing my wife with a fun workout that I only do once a week on Saturdays with her. She's not doing the full routine but is getting a nice taste of what the military makes me do. We start off with two quick laps of sprinting around the indoor gym. It's 12 laps per mile so they're small. Then it's 30 seconds of squats with a medicine ball. After every 30 second workout thereafter it's only one hot lap around the track to keep your heart rate up. In between each and every lap the exercise changes from the squats to lunges with a medicine ball, crunches, pushups, flutter kicks, leg lifts, and it finishes with six laps at your own pace. Since the track is so small and it only takes me 35 seconds to sprint one lap around it the following 30 seconds of exercise that follows keeps it intense. I'll admit that I get extremely light headed at the end of this so it's my new motivation to get things done.
  • rabbit45
    Options
    have you tried taking classes at your gym? i pretty much stopped working out because i was getting incredibly sick of it but my friend forced me to take a "body works" class with her - it included some cardio but it was mostly weight training with dumbells. it totally kicked my *kitten* into shape and i LOVED it. it was more of a workout (but didn't feel like it) than what i was doing before on my own. i had to stop taking it because they changed the class time and i totally miss it.
  • LADOGMOM
    LADOGMOM Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try not to think about it at all during the day...or I can talk myself out of it by about 8:00 a.m.:smile:

I have my workout clothes all laid out so when I get home from work - while the dogs are eating I'm changing my clothes...I grab my water and head out the door...

I'm fine once I get to the gym...It's the getting there that is the hard part for me..

I've also found something I can actually tolerate (spinning)...The class is only 45 minutes...I figure I can do anything for that length of time..

I'll never love it...but the music in the spin room helps the time go by really fast for me...And it's dark so nobody can see me...

Find something you love (or at least like) and you won't dread it so much.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

You and me both, honey! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    Do what you love. If you do what someone says you should do say elipticle instead of what you may love, say cycling it will be hard to do. Do what you love.

when i was a gym rat I'd pack everything in my car at night. It was too much effort to go get it all if I changed my mind to stay home from the gym. So I would just get up and go. Now I just love the outdoors and its the winter that will try to derail me.