C25K - Catching up

Options
Question... I'm starting C25K and I suck at it. I'm taking my 2nd attempt at Week 1 Day 1 tomorrow so I'm a day behind, and I know this isn't the last time that'll happen because I hate running, it makes me want to die. =P But, my husband is a runner and I would like to be able to work out with him, and I know that running will help my lungs & heart (I have weak lungs from several bouts of pneumonia, bronchitis, and I've always had problems with asthma).

So, to those of you who have done or are doing C25K, how do you keep a schedule when you have to repeat days or weeks? Do you do extra days so that you always begin new workout weeks on Mondays? Or do you just keep going M, W, F no matter what week/day you are on? Does it really matter?

Replies

• kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would really matter. Whether you are repeating a day or going onto the next challenege just keep doing 3 times per week and it should be all good.
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hhmmm... let's think about this. Of course staying on track with the schedule is ideal. But let's face it, sh!# happens. If you're only running 3 days each week, I'd suggest you bump the schedule over to the day after you skip and run two days in a row to stay on track.
    I might also suggest you look into a program that is enjoyable for you that also builds cardio strength and endurance. I Turbo Fire through the winter and rarely ran. And come spring I had added a mile to my run; whereas during any other winter I'd lose a mile.

Feel free to friend me. I'm running hater turned running lover, so I'd be happy to cheer you along :)
    Best of luck!

BTW: I think it's sweet that you want to join you hubby in his hobby :D
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I missed a whole week between week 2 and 3. I think if you are repeating, just keep up with the 3 days a week, don't push yourself to try to complete it the next day if you couldn't do it the first day.

Edit: I don't suggest doing it two days in a row "to keep on track" because you will probably tire yourself out more (I know I do). You probably need the rest day. Just keep chugging.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I thought I could "get through it quicker" by running EVERY day (M-Sa). I did not progress as quickly as I'd hoped. In fact my body responded much better and I progressed better when I kept the non-C25K days in there and ran only 3 days/week...
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Take up power walking... I run 5 K twice a week, but power walk 7K once a week... And not much slower than my run! Ever seen "Bride Wars"? One is walking and one is jogging.... If you hate something, you won't stick with it and it won't be an enjoyable thing you two do together.

That said, I did 2-3 days a week... Skipped a week once and then picked it right back up... Just do what YOU can do when you can do it! It's not like the program moves on without you.....
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on C25k and sometimes I repeat days just because I thought the run was more difficult, or I don't feel strong enough that day to move forward. I accidentally repeated one days run three times, when I was only supposed to do it once!

Don't stress if you are slow to start, in the instructions it says to repeat days as much as you need to do. You are training your body to run, it might take some time!

Good luck!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Finishing in 9 weeks is just a guide line. I heard about someone who took 17 weeks to finish it. Take your time and trust in the process. It is hard at first and I hated the first few workouts, but after week 3, I started to love it! Also, if you're running on a treadmill, try running outside. That was also when I started to love running.

I should be on week 8 by now, but I'm on week 6 day 3 because I injured my foot and my knee (non-running related) and then had some overnight shifts at work so I missed a few runs. I haven't repeated any days, but if I had to, I would.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I currently doing it (Going to do Week 4 Day 3 on Thursday) and I would just suggest keep doing the days in the order they are presented.

So for example do week 1 days 1,2,3 and then if you need to repeat I would repeat week 1 days 1,2,3 again until you get that down.. and then move on.

I'm thinking about repeating Week 4 because I cannot get over the 5 minute run thats in there.
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    I just finished my 3rd week of week 4. For some reason it took me 3 weeks to build up to two 5 min runs! I've never liked running before, but I like using this app, and I find that I really enjoy the workouts. Just go slow and take it easy. Good luck with your program.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am encouraged... and looking forward to tomorrow's pain & misery knowing I'm not alone. ;) I do love to walk... and I even enjoy running stairs and running on the beach (I ran 4 minutes straight one day on my vacation, a huge step for me, so I know I can do it). It's just running on the track I hate! XD Maybe I should switch to the bike path, might be more fun.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, why do it?? I understand wanting to work out with your husband but I would not do something I hate just for that. Have you thought of riding a bike along with him.

That being said, the C25K schedule is not set in stone. You can repeat day 1 for a week if that is what you feel you need. Unless your are planning for a 5K race within a certain time frame, just repeat days/weeks as necessary.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Just read your last post... you don't have to run on a track... I find trails to run on, my neighborhood.. there are no restrictions of where you can run...
  • Honu_Girl
    Honu_Girl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do the first week either. I repeated week 1 twice, because I could barely run 30 seconds at a time. So I just walked and then walked faster when I was supposed to run. I also skipped a few days here and there when I had really bad allergies or just plain didn't feel like running that day. You really can't fall behind if you're doing what's right for you.

Keep with it, and good luck! You can do it!
  • DeadMarsha
    Options
    Just read your last post... you don't have to run on a track... I find trails to run on, my neighborhood.. there are no restrictions of where you can run...

I was walking laps & running bleacher stairs at the track near my home so I just made the switch to that, plus when my sis in law works out with me we can stay in the same area and keep an eye on each other while doing our own workouts, so it's convenient. So that's why I use the track, but if I really want to get over my allergy to running I may have to try something different. But, it's only been one day, we'll see. =) I've got to give it a real try before saying it's not for me!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I missed a whole week between week 2 and 3.

I did this too - just picked up where I left off. :smile:
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Two things:

1) Don't worry if you have to go way slow. My first running pace was slower than walking. That's what got me through those first weeks. Then I got better. And when you've succeeded in completing the first week correctly, you'll be amazed how well you'll do on the next week. You really will surprise yourself.

2) Running is, believe it or not, more mental than physical. If you think it sucks and you can't do it, it will suck and you won't be able to do it. Seriously.
  • DeadMarsha
    Options
    Two things:

1) Don't worry if you have to go way slow. My first running pace was slower than walking. That's what got me through those first weeks. Then I got better. And when you've succeeded in completing the first week correctly, you'll be amazed how well you'll do on the next week. You really will surprise yourself.

2) Running is, believe it or not, more mental than physical. If you think it sucks and you can't do it, it will suck and you won't be able to do it. Seriously.

I believe #2 to be true from personal experience... I really enjoyed my (short) run on the beach and part of it had to do with my state of mind and the spontaneity of it. If I can figure out how to recapture that I'll be golden (maybe I need to move to the coast). ;)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I've been working on c25k since March and am about to finish week 5! I do maybe 1-2 days a week of it and fill in the other days with hiit, elliptical, bike and strength training. I've had to redo a few workouts (a couple due to technical difficulties with my c25k app, one due to a back injury that flared up mid run and 2 in the beginning because I didn't make it through the workouts. Oh yeah and the other day when I was fumed out by a perfume doused lady walking on the treadmill next to mine!

I don't worry about it, I'll finish when I finish, I am a little further than the program shows, I can run 12 minutes straight and week 5 has 6&8 minute runs but on workout days I stick to the workouts.

For running ideas sign up for mapmyrun.com you can view other people's running trails in your area and create your own :) helps me to do at least one a week outside instead of on the hamster wheel in the gym to keep fr being bored.