Can any one help? Toned stomach/ 6 pack

Options
2»

Replies

• cartmail
    cartmail Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat more. My ab's in the picture below are from zero ab work:

15809555_6325.jpg
    How much lower do you think im 5 foot 6 and weight 9 stone 5? Thanks x
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You just need to keep going until they come out. No set figure I'm afraid. NO need to do endless ab work tho. Some won't hurt but why do what you don't need to do in excess? :)
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

It's hard to say. I had the beginnings of very faint ab definition at ~25% body fat. They looked sharper when I got to ~20%. Just keep eating at a deficit and make sure your diet's fairly clean (like 80%) and eventually the abs will show. Good luck.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cartmail
    cartmail Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Soon as I get there I'll post a photo
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that Jillian gets on your nerves but I have to say that her Ripped in 30 dvd is great and it's what I did to get there along with running 2 or 3 miles 6 days a week. When she gets annoying I lower her volume and put music in the background. Feel free to look through my pics...I'm 5'7 and weigh 146lbs right now.
    Good Luck!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Just keep going want work girl. Abs are not an easy thing, especially for women who arent naturally prone to flat abs. You will get it. I agree that endless ab exercises arent necessarily the way to go. I have noticed a LOT of people who run a lot and that is all they do and they have GREAT abs. Sitting up and engaging your core while sitting or biking or walking or running could be enough to get them going. GOOD LUCK and keep going!!! You'll get it.

I also agree weight training is a GREAT tool but, like others, I cant necessarily afford a gym membership right now! :)
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    If you're looking for good ab workouts that you can do at home, take a look at Amy Bento's Abs & Stretch (uses a stability ball for some moves) and Jeanette Jenkins' Core & Stretch or Ab Blast. If you don't want to spend that much time on ab work then, as stupid as the name is, Kathy Smith's Tummy Trimmers has five ~10-minute workouts. Also, kickboxing is great for your abs too.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Adding muscle can help, but lowering your body fat % is what brings out the abs.

Caloric defecit with strength training are the main ingredients. You need to maintain your muscle mass as you lose fat to bring out muscle definition.

Do not be afraid of heavy weights. Squats, deadlifts, shoulder and bench presses, pulldowns and rows are your best friends for maintaining muscle while "cutting".

You really don't have to kill yourself doing ab excercises as the muscles really don't have as much potential for growth as your back, legs, and butt and overall muscle will help the most. Deads and squats force your core to work anyway.

I know this is a "man's" advice , but it does work.
    I agree (coming from a woman's point of view)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Low body fat percentage and core work, core work, core work.

Now repeat after me....

:flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat more. My ab's in the picture below are from zero ab work:

15809555_6325.jpg

women can generally start to show their ab muscles below 19% body fat.

here is a good article on BF% http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here....The reality is its all about diet....you need to have a low bodyfat % for you abs to show. When its low enough you can do extra ab work to get them to really pop, but until then, its all diet. Also, a little pet peeve of mine, sit-ups do very little for you abs, its an old school nonsense exercise...it works your hip flexors not your abs...and no fad machine will bring out your abs either.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump