Does it matter what i eat as long as i burn it off

Options
Ive been working out everyday for no less than 35 minutes i do eat chips and cake and pizza i know im not supose too at all but when i do i dont over do it but when im done It stresses me out because i feel like im throwing all my hard work away .Idk how that works.

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I just think you'll get out of something what you put into it.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think all things are ok in moderation...I'm sure you'll see faster/better results if you eat totally clean, but I also think we are human, and life should be enjoyed...as long as it is in moderation and fits you calorie goals, don't feel bad.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you have a bit to lose, just paying attention to calories in and out may be enough.

With less to lose and less to eat, you may find certain types of food like that make it all to easy to go overboard.

Super easy to eat an extra 500 cals, kinda hard to burn that much off.

But that's why exercise logged gives you credit calories - you still have a deficit and you keep it even when you eat them back.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If in moderation, then you're not sabotaging your weight loss. The only thing you're potentially harming is your health.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    moderation is always key. When you do have Pizza have only the serving recommended not 3-4 slices or whatever. I think of course it is blowing the workout it for the day if someone tons eats junk. But I also think a person doesnt need to be completely restricted all the time, other wise it because a battle of will.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Pizza, cake and chips as you fall asleep at night have a different effect on your body if you had them earlier in the day. For a period I was a strict eater until I got in the range I was comfortable in. But I still want to enjoy life and indulge in things I crave from time to time. Don't feel guilty about it. The best time to cheat on your diet is before or after your workout :)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    of course it matters. Weight isn't the only measure of health. There's cholesterol, blood pressure, fat percentage, etc.. Eating those foods in moderation is fine, but I wouldn't make it a daily thing. I will never completely give up my favorites "bad" foods, but I eat much less of them now.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I just think you'll get out of something what you put into it.

this.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It depends. You'll lose weight by keeping to your calorie count, but you may never get the body you want. I got sick of putting in all that exercise just for FOOD. Most of which didn't taste that good anyway. Eat clean and you don't have to work out as hard, and you'll see better results faster.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For overall weight loss no. For overall health, yes.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    You'll be fine as long as that's not how you eat every day. A person can suffer malnutrition even if they're overweight.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Saturday I had Bacon, Sunday was Healthy, Monday I had Mcdonalds and today I weighed in 2.9lbs down on the last 7 days.

I just eat under my calories, and I exercise till I am pooped on the treadmill and it works for me.

And.... the increased exercise is lowering my BP and cholesterol according to my doc so the "healthy" may depend on your definition of healthy
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's ok in moderation. I would die if I had to cut out EVERYTHING I enjoyed. Just make sure you are eating more good then bad and are consistent with your working out and you will be ok.

I lost a ton of weight working at a pizza shop. I was literally eating pizza, cheesy bread, TONS of soda, all day x6 days a week and lost weight fast because I was working really hard and burning a ton of calories. I DO NOT recommended this however, it's super unhealthy.

I am taking the slower, healthy trip this time. And yes, I do still enjoy ice cream, pizza, cake. I just make smart eating decisions through out the day so I am able to enjoy these things once in a while!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Of course it matters.
    Optimal health is not earned by accident.
    The cleaner you eat, the better your health.
    And everybody knows this, but people like to justify their poor eating.
    If all you want is mere weight loss, eat whatever. Start smoking as it's fabulous appetite suppression .
    Again, great health is an achievement you earn through proper nutrition - not eating anything and everything so long as the calories are right.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Super easy to eat an extra 500 cals, kinda hard to burn that much off.

SO TRUE!!!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people will say no.. I say yes. I dropped a lot of weight just watching calories in and calories out.. but stayed pretty flabby, slimmed way down, but stayed flabby. I've switched my food selection.. way less processed stuff and way more nutrition dense and my body is reflecting it.. muscles, elasticity in my skin, digestion. That stuff is fine in moderation but in the end you are probably going to want to give your body what it really needs to produce the results you really want. Just my opinion.

Hezz
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Options
    I will never completely give up my favorites "bad" foods, but I eat much less of them now.

^^This...I was (am) notorious for loving fast food even though it is horrible for me. Now that I realize how many calories and how much fat is in one meal from a drive through, I have cut waaay back. I still have burgers and fries, but not nearly as often, and I almost always plan ahead to include them. If I have a low cal breakfast and lunch, I know I can splurge with dinner. Or if it's my TOM and I literally cannot say no to cravings, I'll try to balance out my week so even if I'm over calories a few days, I'm under calories on others. This website is about changing your lifestyle! When I realized that, I started seeing results.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Google the twinkie diet.

You can lose wight eating nothing but junk food as long as your total calories are below your TDEE. In terms of optimal health it's not such a good idea.

Having said that, if there are certain foods that you really, really enjoy you shouldn't deprive yourself totally just go for smaller portions and try to eat a balanced nutritious diet most of the time.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Some calories are better for you than others, but moderation is key! The closer i get to my goal the better the calories i want to put into my body. I stay full alot longer on better calories also:) Good Luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If that's ALL you're eating, then it will matter. But if you're filling your nutritional needs with fruits, veggies, healthy fats, lean proteins, etc.... then a little indulgence here and there isn't going to hurt you.