Really Losing It...and it's not the weight!

Options
Ok...so I have lost 30 lbs. total..lost it all in preparation for my wedding on 8/8/09. Now that the wedding is over and I haven't started my new job yet...I have TOTALLY slacked in the exercise and eating department. Plus, we have moved to a new state and are meeting new people...which = eating out and drinks. I have gained around 2 lbs, which doesn't sound like much, but I know me and know it will start creeping back on. I just can't seem to get myself back in my health mode. I do this EVERY time I lose weight. Any suggestions? HELP!

Replies

• guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle,
    I think the best thing is to know how hard you worked to get where you were and right know its easyer to loss two Lbs than 5 or 10 or what ever :noway: So pick your self up and put yourself back on track because you are worth it :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    "Get back on the horse"--do the things that made you successful before.

Log your foods, exercise, make good food choices. Do this for 2 weeks, and I bet you will be pleasantly surpised to see you are back to your goal weight.

I once read that you should treat a 2 lb. weight gain the way you would treat a 2 degree increase in your temperature. Take care of the problem NOW, no when you "get around to it." If you put it off, instead of 2 lbs, it will be 5, then 8. See where this is going??

So be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished, and invest in YOU, and take the time and effort needed to get rid of those sneaky pounds that jumped on when you weren't looking. You evicted them once, you can do it again!!

Good luck!
  • Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just don't understand why I keep repeating my bad habits. I have a history of losing weight and then out of no where, just stopping my healthy lifestyle.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Ok...so I have lost 30 lbs. total..lost it all in preparation for my wedding on 8/8/09. Now that the wedding is over and I haven't started my new job yet...I have TOTALLY slacked in the exercise and eating department. Plus, we have moved to a new state and are meeting new people...which = eating out and drinks. I have gained around 2 lbs, which doesn't sound like much, but I know me and know it will start creeping back on. I just can't seem to get myself back in my health mode. I do this EVERY time I lose weight. Any suggestions? HELP!

Michelle,
    IMO, since you are meeting new people, why not start meeting people that enjoy exercising, or jogging/walking etc.
    Perhaps, join a class and meet women in your area that have those common goals?

Eating out and ordering drinks(alcohol) are choices that we make.
    We all do it. It's how often we do it that will hurt us.

You did a great job before your wedding losing 30lbs.
    Remember what you learned, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet that you did and it's over.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Well congrats cause you did the right thing by coming here, you just held yourself accountable by posting this :bigsmile: Don't worry, even if you start back slow its ok as long as you start things up again. When you go out just order healthy and save calories for a drink if you must. GOOD LUCK and do not get down :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I use to do the same thing...I would be "finished":noway: after I met my goal which was usually Christmas or a Summer event b/c I had to be in a swim suit. Well this year is different..I'm going to keep it off by focusing on the next event which is Thankgiving then Christmas and you can too. Just keep doing what you use to do for the wedding & remember how good you felt at the end of each day. How energetic you felt & how good you look when you put on that new outfit. Just plan for those days & you'll do great:glasses:
  • rachantibes
    Options
    Hi Michelle, just a very very small thing that makes a big difference, instead of saying I always do this, i have a history of weight loss then i put it back on again.....
    say
    I always USED to do this, I HAD a history of weight loss followed by weight gain.

Its still true, you have in the past followed loss by gain, but it ALLOWS you to change the future.
    It seems such a little change in thinking and perception but it is a huge difference and allows you to go forward from your past behaviours.
    Its a technique that can be used in many other ways
    I always choose bad partners becomes I always USED to choose bad partners
    I always destroy good relationships I always USED to destroy good relationships
    etc etc
  • thomascrl
    Options
    Michelle,
    Congratulations on your 30 lbs. I know it was a tough road! New routines take time to settle into. However, I find that finding an activity that I REALLY enjoy helps me stay committed to it. I look forward to working out now that I've found a system that works for me...P90X. Very tough but I feel so exhilarated when I'm done. Being a yo-yo dieter all my life, I have huge issues trying to lose weight and maintain a good exercise program. I have knee injury too that doesn't help matters. My program tells me to "set a goal and meet it or surpass it." One of the trademark lines in the series is, "Do your best and forget the rest." I love that because I know after every workout, I'm doing my best just for me and not for a trainer or the folks at the gym. Anyway, congrats...stay motivated. Cindy
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle. Take some time to really think about how hard you worked to get where you are. I know I have to remind myself at least a few times a day. We can't let that hard work be for nothing. Your wedding was your original goal to lose the weight, now you need a new reason to keep the weight off. I think the best reason is for your health, but you need to focus on what motivates you.

Most of us have done the lose weight/ put it back on thing...me, I've done it over and over since I was about 12. Being healthy, eating right, losing the weight, keeping it off...that's a lot of HARD work, and it takes a lot of strength and a lot of motivation, and a TON of self-talk. Tell yourself this is the last time you'll lose and gain that same 30 pounds.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Michelle09, don't make my mistake. After my wedding in Feb. 2009, I slacked off... now nearly 8 months later I've gained at least 13 pounds :sad: It would just keep adding up if I didn't join MFP and get back on track. Don't let yourself lose the good habits you formed because you will lose everything you worked for. Ask your husband to get invovled with you - helps to have a workout buddy. Keeping a healthy weight keeps you happy and thus will help keep your husband happy :heart:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Can you get your new hubby involved? Even if he doesn't necessarily need to lose weight, adopting a healthy lifestyle together can go along way. I turn 35 in two months and convinced my hubby to join me in each of us losing 15 lb by that time. If we do it, we have an awesome weekend away planned at a resort with pampering and hiking. The more support you have inside your house, the better you might seem to do outside of it :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just don't understand why I keep repeating my bad habits. I have a history of losing weight and then out of no where, just stopping my healthy lifestyle.

Me too..............and it stops here. You have identified the problem, now make a plan and move forward.

Remember how good you felt when you hit your goal. How energized when you ate good foods and exercised every day.

Put up post its reminding you that YOU are WORTH IT!!

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone here! Just measured and counted my breakfast :) One day at a time. :wink:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Great. Don't for get to DRINK DRINK DRINK your water!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: IT will stae off the hungries and get your body working more efficiently!!

Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You know what you have to do.

Unlike before, success is a path you're familiar with.

I am starting up from a summer off and several pounds added... new job, new country, new schedule, newly single--I am terrified to get on that scale.

But I have also walked the path of success, so I just got a food scale and a gym membership and I am back on MFP... three key ingredients to my recipe for a healthy (and lighter) lifestyle.