Pregnant, what now?! Real help needed, please.

Options
I have used this website with success. I was down 8 out of 24 pounds, only 16 pounds to my goal weight (yeah). Honestly, this website made it so easy!

The problem is that now I am pregnant for the 3rd (and final) time and I am concerned about my weight. I'm not one of those "over the top" dieters, I exercised by walking and doing light weights for mild toning, and I ate right. My concern is that I am 36 years old and the baby weight doesn't come off so easy anymore.

What HEALTHY tips can you guys give me as I crave carbs right now (it keeps my nausea at bay)? I want to do what's right for my baby with also taking care of me! My caloric intake was 1000-1200 cal/day depending on my fruit intake. Is it 100 or 300 extra calories per day you should take in for pregnancy.

I am 5'1" and am at 138# now (my goal was 116#). I am 14 weeks, or 3 1/2 months pregnant. I still walk as I can, but get easily "winded" right now with the shifting internal organs. I continue with my 2-3# weights for my arm toning, but don't know about continuing to tone my legs with walking right now as I am on my feet 12 hour shifts at the hospital as it is. I have to wear support hose due vericose veins from my past 2 pregnancies. I'm a mess...help!

Thanks, Renee'

Replies

• Daniel78
    Options
    I've been on a high fiber diet for the past year because it supposedly suppresses the appetite. I stock my house with all of the Fiber One products out there for snacking and they're all low in fat, calories, and other unwanted facts. The high amount of fiber makes me full, well, it's supposed to...
  • Jeepluvr99
    Options
    Great tip, I'll try it...thanks for the suggestion!
  • Veronica320
    Options
    I :heart: all the Fiber One stuff too (especially the snack bars). But look out.....they can make a lot of people (myself included) super gassy:grumble: As for your calorie increase, I would ask your doctor on your next visit about nutritional needs during pregnancy. Congrats!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I :heart: all the Fiber One stuff too (especially the snack bars). But look out.....they can make a lot of people (myself included) super gassy:grumble: As for your calorie increase, I would ask your doctor on your next visit about nutritional needs during pregnancy. Congrats!

I totally agree with everything Veronica said to you. :smile: ESPECIALLY about watching out for those "after effects"! :noway: :laugh: My husband has forbidden me from buying them anymore because of it! :laugh:
    Don't let anyone tell you that eventually your body will get used to them and you won't have the gassy problem anymore, because that's sooooo NOT true! :grumble: :laugh:
  • eglass64
    Options
    T
  • eglass64
    Options
    T
  • eglass64
    Options
    Talk to your Doctor first and foremost.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :happy:

Right now, being healthy is going to be more important than the scale. Talk to the doctor, and eat healthy. The Canadian Food Guide has a site for prenatal nutrition.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/prenatal/index-eng.php

Carbs are okay. Really, they are. You just have to eat other things throughout the day too. Lots of fruit and vegatables, which will give you the fiber you need naturally,, will help you eat the proper nutrients, as well as being generally low calories. Skim milk is an excellent choice to make too (low fat chocolate milk is also a great idea).

Above all, be happy, enjoy the pregnancy, and don't stress oer it too much. Walk when you can, but rest when you need to.

Cngratulations again!
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    Its 300 extra calories when your pregnant. there is a pregnancy platform group(the preggo platform part 2) on here if you care to talk to other pregnant mfp members. :smile: I would continue with your exercises unless your ob says otherwise. I am 31 weeks and am still doing my exercise bike and 2 lb weighs for my arms.
    Congratulations.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    1200 would be your minimum when not pregnant and not working out, so with being pregnant and still working out like it sounds like you are doing I would shoot for 1500-1600 calories per day for you and to support baby. That should keep you feeling full and not so nauseous, but still provide nutrition to you and the baby. There's been even more new research out as of late saying that women within healthy weight ranges should gain only 20lbs per pregnancy and that if you are a bit overweight gaining only 15-20 is fine. It's your last baby, ENJOY!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have used this website with success. I was down 8 out of 24 pounds, only 16 pounds to my goal weight (yeah). Honestly, this website made it so easy!

The problem is that now I am pregnant for the 3rd (and final) time and I am concerned about my weight. I'm not one of those "over the top" dieters, I exercised by walking and doing light weights for mild toning, and I ate right. My concern is that I am 36 years old and the baby weight doesn't come off so easy anymore.

What HEALTHY tips can you guys give me as I crave carbs right now (it keeps my nausea at bay)? I want to do what's right for my baby with also taking care of me! My caloric intake was 1000-1200 cal/day depending on my fruit intake. Is it 100 or 300 extra calories per day you should take in for pregnancy.

I am 5'1" and am at 138# now (my goal was 116#). I am 14 weeks, or 3 1/2 months pregnant. I still walk as I can, but get easily "winded" right now with the shifting internal organs. I continue with my 2-3# weights for my arm toning, but don't know about continuing to tone my legs with walking right now as I am on my feet 12 hour shifts at the hospital as it is. I have to wear support hose due vericose veins from my past 2 pregnancies. I'm a mess...help!

Thanks, Renee'

Gosh, you are so cute! :smooched: You apparently make cute kids too, and I'm sure this one will be just as adorable!

I'd talk with your doctor about your caloric intake. I'd say you should probably eat 1200 base + 300 pregnancy calories = 1500 a day. Your doctor may recommend more.... or less. I'd really check into it with a trained professional.... maybe even a dietician or nutritionist (I have no idea which one fits this scenario).

The Preggo Platform would be a great thread for you to jump on. Just a place for pregnant women to congregate, share stories, ask questions, all that fun stuff. They might have some advice for you since they are all in the same boat -- pregnant but wanting to lose weight healthily.

I'd keep right on with the exercising. If you were doing it before pregnancy, your body will be fine to keep doing it now.

And by all means, eat all the carbs you need to keep the morning sickness at bay!! Don't make yourself miserable for the sake of losing a pound. While it may take you longer to lose the weight at your age (your words, not mine :flowerforyou: ), you can still lose that weight post-baby, and your health and general well-being is more important that anything else. :flowerforyou:

Congratulations. Are you hoping for another girl? :wink:
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Helpful advice from: http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp

Eating the right number of calories lets you and your baby gain the proper amount of weight. During the first 3 months of your pregnancy, you do not need to change the number of calories you are eating.

Normal-weight women need an extra 300 calories each day during the last 6 months of pregnancy. This totals about 1,900 to 2,500 calories a day. If you were underweight, overweight, or obese before you became pregnant, or if you are pregnant with more than one baby, you may need a different number of calories. Talk to your health care provider about how much weight you should gain and how many calories you need.

Each of these healthy choices has about 300 calories:

1 cup of non-fat fruit yogurt and a medium apple
    1 piece of whole wheat toast spread with 2 tablespoons peanut butter
    1 cup of beef and bean chili sprinkled with 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese
    1 cup of raisin bran cereal with 1/2 cup of non-fat milk and a small banana
    3 ounces roasted lean ham or chicken breast and 1/2 cup sweet potatoes
    1 flour tortilla (7-inch), 1/2 cup refried beans, 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, and 1/2 cup cooked red pepper

as for the craving carbs to curb your nausea... Although that works it is kind of dangerous to eat too many carbs (as you're aware). What seemed to work for me when I was pregnant was lemons. Yes they are bitter but the acid from the lemons seems to curb the nausea. So I would chomp down on a lemon when I felt it coming on or I would drink some lemonade. Worth a shot and way less calories.

Congrats!
  • Jeepluvr99
    Options
    You guys are great! Thanks for coming through for me! I was so unsure, but now I see clearer and feel really supported! Did I mention how much I LOVE this website? I am going to the section on us "preggies" later today, too! And try the other sites as well!

I mentioned I work at a hospital...I tell all my patient's about this website and encourage it's use. Your responses are why I continue to stay focused and can continue to help others!

THANKS SO MUCH! :)
    P.S. I don't care what sex the baby is, I just want "10 fingers, 10 toes," you know?