will giving up diet coke really help me?

Options

Replies

• SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For myself, cutting out all soda has been great! I was on a 3 month retreat where I didn't have any soda at all and my first taste of soda after that tasted horrible and I could actually feel how the chemicals affected me... somehow though I got back on it and well... i've been soda free for a few months again. The most I'll drink is ginger ale for an upset stomache otherwise for me I have teas or water. I love tea and if I want something sweet I'll put some honey in my tea, if you can get it orange blossom honey is positively orgasmic and goes great in most teas. I've yet to find a tea that I don't like it in.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm a total addict!

I'm allowed to have diet coke as long as I get 60-80 oz of water. This has helped me significantly cut down. To be honest I'm not that concerned about aspartame...that stuff has been endlessly studied. There is recent research that diet soda and obesity often go hand in hand...but I'm not sure that really has anything to do with diet coke itself. I was more concerned that I wasn't getting enough water before.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi all the time. I don't really give a crap what people say about it being TERRIBLE for you. Being miserable is worse. Being very overweight (which I was when I drank regular) is worse. I gave up all soda for 4 months 8 years ago when I lost 40 pounds. As much as I tried, I still wanted it -- and when I tried diet, it tasted just like regular. So whatever. Just as long as you try to get water in too, drink your diet coke and enjoy it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    of course. diet coke kills more people than lung cancer and diabetes combined. just do a search on map forums. ( actually diabetes doesn't kill you, it's a coronary event as a result of diabetes that kills you)
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    The main downside of diet pop is the acid wear on your teeth. You can use pronamel to minimize that.

I've been able to switch my diet coke cravings for crystal light - sometimes with some club soda.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Just for a data point, I drink litres of diet coke and coke zero and am happily losing weight. Giving up chips and bread rolls is probably a better move :-)
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't worry too much, but whether you drink it or not, you should be having your 8 glasses of water :)
  • justgetitdone
    justgetitdone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is full of chemicals, even if you don't lose weight you will be doing your body a favor by not drinking it!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Drink it! I love diet pop! I can't go without it! ZERO calories and plenty of Caffeine- Doesn't get better than that!!! :happy:
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options
    I ended up quiting drinking pop for a while and after a bit i didnt want it anymore. i started to drink it again a few months ago, so im trying to kick it again. ive been getting a bunch of flavored water .walmart has a brand called Clear american has the carbination but no calories,sugar or sodium
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi all the time. I don't really give a crap what people say about it being TERRIBLE for you. Being miserable is worse. Being very overweight (which I was when I drank regular) is worse. I gave up all soda for 4 months 8 years ago when I lost 40 pounds. As much as I tried, I still wanted it -- and when I tried diet, it tasted just like regular. So whatever. Just as long as you try to get water in too, drink your diet coke and enjoy it.

Pepsi.......boke, thats a dirty word to me :laugh:
  • LaMiaVita
    LaMiaVita Posts: 22
    Options
    Every time I see a study saying "diet sodas make you fatter," I think, "There's another study funded by the sugar industry."
  • donna_do_good
    Options
    I'd say don't worry too much, but whether you drink it or not, you should be having your 8 glasses of water :)

I hate water :-(
  • NathanJ79
    NathanJ79 Posts: 36
    Options
    Try Coke Zero, it's better -- in my opinion, at least. Either way, they both lack sugar and calories, so they won't keep you from losing weight. They carry the other problems of soda, though. They don't hydrate you and they make you want more. But whatever, if that's your thing. Personally, I don't like soda. I don't like the idea of it. It doesn't taste bad, but I know what it is and I don't particularly want it in me.

Water is not a bad option -- you can get 8-10 flavor packets at Walmart for less than the cost of a 12-pack. I prefer Vitamin Enhanced Grape. The "Vitamin Enhanced" thing is BS -- it has trace amounts of a couple B vitamins -- but it tastes great. Adds 20 calories to a 16.9oz. bottle, though (or a 20 oz. if you stretch it). I call it crack water. Of course water on its own is great if you can dig it.

For caffeine, find a good tea. Only cheap tea is less than stellar. Coffee has a little more caffeine, but a 16 oz. cup of black coffee with Splenda is 7 calories, where tea has none. Doesn't sound right but that's what MFP reports. And yes I know it's hot -- I drink hot coffee and tea year round.
    Just for a data point, I drink litres of diet coke and coke zero and am happily losing weight. Giving up chips and bread rolls is probably a better move :-)
    Yes, it would be -- those breads (what goes into your chips, and the rolls themselves) translate into sugar in your stomach, so yes, diet soda will take less away from a diet -- and not by just a little bit -- than any bread.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Drink and eat your favorites in moderation never give up anything you will only be setting your self up for a binge!!
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero for life.

I drink a lot of water and tea, but will have 1-2 coke zeros a day.. NBD.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Yes it will help you tremendously! I gave up diet coke for 3 wks and haven't touched chocolate since.
    Yesterday I drank 12oz of it and ate a whole bar of chocolate. Don't know the science behind it, but drinks that are diet or 0 calories (other than water) usually backfire on me and unleash my hunger!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink it anymore and have notice I feel less bloated. I still lost weight when I was having it daily. I just feel better drinking just water or unsweet tea.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't drink diet sodas because I'm allergic to the aspartame. However, unless you are one of the extremely tiny number of people that have that particular problem, there's no reason to think you shouldn't have Diet Coke in moderation. I would suggest, however, that your health would be well served by getting over your aversion to water and drinking a lot of water to be well hydrated. :wink: Being well hydrated will improve your health and your performance athletically.
    of course. diet coke kills more people than lung cancer and diabetes combined. just do a search on map forums. ( actually diabetes doesn't kill you, it's a coronary event as a result of diabetes that kills you)

I have never seen a single reliable study - or even reliable indicator! - that points to even a single death from diet soda - let alone "more than lung cancer and diabetes combined." As noted above, it's not that I'm a fan of Diet Coke or any other diet soda. I can't drink it. But claiming an enormous death toll from diet soda is just silly.
  • debawayfit
    debawayfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes it will. I gave up diet coke and everything with aspartame. drink water, water with lemon or tea with truvia/ strevia. It will quench your thirst. When I drank diet coke , I was a junky, I drank it all day up to 8 or more 20 oz. bottles a day. I was always thirsty . Diet coke or coke with the sodium does not satisfy. I found if I got a diet coke, I got a snack at the same time. candy bar, chips , etc. I gave up the diet cokes, cokes and aspartame in Jan 2012 , I was over 250 now I am at 210.2 giving up the diet colas and sugar. When Diet coke first came out, I got off sugar colas also and lost a lot of weight , but it all came back . Do your LIVER a favor and get off the chemical. Just my opinion.