Eating before exercise..

Options
I am a little confused about eating before working out. I usually work out in the mornings, sometimes before I eat, sometimes after. I have read various articles that say it is better to eat something before you work out while others say you can tap into your fat stores better if you workout on an empty stomach. Which one is really better for losing weight? (Sorry if this has been posted before..)

Replies

• Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have to eat before working out. I eat something that has some protein for sure. I give myself at least 45 min-1 hour to digest. Everyone is different...but, there is nothing worse that losing steam during your work-out from lack of nutrition. Did you feel or see a difference eating before vs after? Do what works best for you! I think that helps us stick with it :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You will burn stored fat exercising right away prior to eating, but may not have the energy to go as hard or as long which means in the end you will probably burn less cals.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the prior posts. I think it is most important to pay attention to your body and do what works best for you.

It has been my experience that I can not go as long or a intense if I haven't had something to eat first. Usually I exercise after work, so that makes eating a little easier. I just eat a snack with both carbs and protein about an hour before going to the gym. On days when I go in the morning, I usually make a protein smoothie. It is quick and easy to digest, the fruit gives me quick energy, the protein staying power. Then, I eat a little more after working out.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I have to eat, a little before AND after a workout. I buy low carb protein (EAS) bars, and have 1/3 prior to my workout and the rest immediately after. The before keeps my energy level up during the workout, and the after keeps me from gobbling junk. I've found that I'm so ravenous after working out that I literally grab the first thing I come across in the kitchen, fast and easy. Usually, that isn't the best option, so the bar keeps my hunger at bay while I prepare a healthy meal.
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana before working out. It's very easy for your body to digest and it can easily turn the food into energy needed for a workout. After cooling down, then eat your regular breakfast.

That's how I do it anyhow, LOL! :laugh:
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana before working out, too! Then I'll have dinner or a real meal afterwards. There have been times when I've been sooooooo lacking in energy that I'll eat dinner BEFORE, but I always feel a little queasy after.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i've also been told to eat b4 but my workouts are at 5:30am so its a little harder. I think I'll try just eating half a protein bar when i wake up that way its not too heavy. :)
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating something. When I workout in the morning I will have a banana and a couple of glasses of water before hand. I will eat my breakfast after.

I have also heard that eating something within the first half hour after getting out of bed will help to kick start the metabolism.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Like any topic, there are people on both sides of the fence for this one. I say, listen to your body. Either way, if you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day, you're going to burn off the fat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You will burn stored fat exercising right away prior to eating, but may not have the energy to go as hard or as long which means in the end you will probably burn less cals.

OK, I realize you are trying to be helpful, but this is untrue. I can explain how the human metabolism works to a degree, but SongByrdSweet would be a better resource to tap as she actually is in the profession.

Brenda is essentially correct, TDEE is the important factor (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

OK, I realize you are trying to be helpful, but this is untrue. I can explain how the human metabolism works to a degree, but SongByrdSweet would be a better resource to tap as she actually is in the profession.

Brenda is essentially correct, TDEE is the important factor (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

This is what I thought.

That being said, it's how you feel on weather you should eat or not. When I work out in the AM, it's straight out of the rack, stretch with a little water, and I'm getting after it.

In the evening it's usually a couple hours after I eat dinner, and then afterwards I have some gatorade and fruit depending how many calories I have left for the day. (Laughing at the late snacking nazi's)

Might my energy level be down a little bit on an empty stomach? Could be, but I don't notice enough of a difference, and since I'm not competing I don't worry about it. Seriously? How many times do you get to the point in a work out that you just can't go on because you didn't eat something? I would venture to guess that it's rare.