What time of day do you exercise? Why?

Options

Replies

• cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning. If I don't by the time I get off work I am way to tired to do it. The only time I do evenings in on Thursday when my daughter and I do a Zumba class. If I know we aren't going to class on a certain Thursday I will exercise in the morning. I usually take Saturday and Sunday off from exercise, unless I know I have something big happening, like a birthday party. Also I do water aerobics and that is at 5:30am. Easier to do when you have already commited to something.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising after dinner because that's when I have the most energy.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Early morning for my jog (before I broke my foot) and I try to do the same for my bike ride. It's been so hot lately though that I just try to go whenever the temps are in the 70's. That could be at 5am or 9pm. I prefer morning because if I get my exercise overwith earlier, I tend to eat healthier throughout the day. It's a mental thing I guess.
    Things Ive learned:
    Wear bright colors and don't stop in the shade for a break unless you're totally off the road. I was nearly run over when I had on a purple under armour shirt, stopped under some shade on the side of the road, out in the country and I think I blended in with the background and was nearly run over.I was on the shoulder and the person missed me by inches. :(
    Don't jog in the middle of the road! For me, I was doing it because I have foot problems and the middle of the road is the most level. I did however, end up tripping over my dog, falling and breaking bones and there I was.. in the middle of a road that a car could drive down any second! Luckily my husband was with me and helped me to the side.
    Take plenty of water with you.
    Eat before you go but not RIGHT before you go.
    Take your cell phone with you.
    Tell someone your route, when you expect to be back and then let them know when you are back!
    Be aware of your surroundings and don't play music so loud that you can't hear cars or people as they approach you.
    Jog in safe areas!
    If you can, exercise with a buddy!

Good luck and stay safe!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym around 5/5:30 am most weekdays. If I work out on the weekend, it's usually later (8-9 am). Very rarely I might work out around 9 pm after my kids go to bed.

Early mornings work best for me to get it done & out of the way. I can go on autopilot, and my brain isn't awake enough to make excuses. At the end of the day, I would be FULL of excuses and other things that need to be done. Plus, the gym is less crowded when it first opens.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I used to be an evening jogger and now I enjoy a good morning routine. What time of day works best for you? And what tricks have you learned along your journey?

Journey is a band.
    Afternoon=gym
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used to work out after work. Loved it!

Then I switched to early mornings. Loved it even more!

Now I do swimming or yoga in the morning 6 days a week, and starting weight conditioning after work/before dinner 3 times a week.

Whatever works for your schedule is going to be best for you.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evening. I already wake up early enough (5am) for work...so i am not waking up any earlier to workout....haha I tried that for a few weeks but it was exhausting...

Anyways, I workout usually anywhere between 7pm-9pm...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evening. I already wake up early enough (5am) for work...so i am not waking up any earlier to workout....haha I tried that for a few weeks but it was exhausting...

Anyways, I workout usually anywhere between 7pm-9pm...

Exactly! ^^

I can't believe all these people with energy in the mornings! :laugh:

I am doing well enough to roll out of bed in time to make it to work. :tongue:

I don't have any real energy until evening when I am rarin' to go!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise twice a day. I be sure to get in a 20 minute workout on my lunch break everyday at work, and again after work before dinner.
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mornings for me. Exercising energizes me and if I do it too late at night, it takes a while for me to wind down. If I do it in the early morning, it wakes me right up and I'm ready to get on with the day. Not to say that when I'm bored I don't do extra throughout the day. :)
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Whenever I have time. Hehe.

Right now it's after work, so in the evenings. When fall semester starts back up again, I'm going to try and shift it to the early morning before my 8AM classes. I found that last semester, when I tried to go in the evenings, I would either A) go as normally, or B) find excuses to not go (or got caught up with homework). I don't want to have option B be a possibility this year.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    every morning i do abs and legs and then cardio any time i can
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Preferably first thing in the morning. It makes me feel good for the rest of the day!
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of losing (pregnancy) weight and when I am in "weight loss" mode I exercise morning and evening. On my regular maintenance routine it would be an hour a day whenever I could fit it in! The mornings are always best though. It sets your day up for success! You feel so much better because of your accomplishment and your body just feels so much better after a good workout anyways! So to me I'd rather have the post workout feeling all day long than for just a few hours in the evening. Plus, you don't have a whole day to interrupt your routine, or a whole day to talk yourself out of it! lol
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    after work cuz i can no longer wake up at 5am to do my workouts. I just can't function that early anymore.
  • armyvettech
    Options
    5:45 am 6 days a week. I have only been doing it for 8 days but it seems to work for me and then I have no excuse.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the gym after work around 6pm...not for any special reason other than logistics. But on the weekends I like to get my workout done first thing when I wake up. If I go for a run, it has to be pretty early these days because it's a million degrees outside by 9am, but ideally, when the weather cooperates, I like a good 10am run. I don't do early mornings. I'm just not a morning person in any way, shape, or form.

I tried the whole working out at 5am thing and sleeping in was WAY easier, so packing my gym bag and going right after work (and after I pick up my son from school/summer camp) works better for me. Plus my gym has some good classes in the evenings, and they have a really fun children's center that's open til 9pm on weeknights, so my son (he's 5) has a great time there.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I swim most mornings (noon on weekends) and I usually do some more stuff like walking or going to the gym in the afternoon. I don't like doing too much at night, because I get all energized and I end up staying up all night.
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I work out M-W-F @ 5:30 am starting with light cardio for warm up and then do strength training (lifting heavy). I walk every week day (2 miles or more) during my lunch hour. I am a husband and dad of 3 boys, so if I don't hit the gym before work, I don't hit the gym. I try to get my entire family to walk / jog with me in the evenings at least 2 days a week. Varying the type and intensity of excercise has been helping a lot.
  • jellybean82
    jellybean82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually work out right after I get home from work around 5:30. I alternate between going on the treadmill and doing the Nike Train Club workouts on my iPhone. I find working out right when I get home keeps me from being lazy all night. I have so much energy afterwards (most of the time :laugh: ) that I feel I get so much more accomplished.

I have tried a few times to get up in the morning and workout but I'm just not that much of a morning person. ha ha

Weather permitting I go for a walk on my lunch hour too for about half an hour. I haven't gone in the past few weeks, we're having a wicked heat wave right now!