determining percentage weight loss???

Options
Can someone tell me the proper way to calculate this? and I assume I have to re-calculate it with each weigh in to get the correct percent?

I currently weigh 240 and my goal is to lose 60 lbs. BUT My husband is doing the same weight loss goal, so someone suggested we use percentages instead since men tend to lose quicker...

Can someone help me out?

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,744 Member
    Options
    Weight lost divided by beginning weight times 100 equals percentage of weight lost.

Example, say you lose 24 pounds:
    24/240 = 0.1 x 100 = 10 percent lost.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    divide 60 by 240....equals 25%
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The people above me explained it great, so I thought I would just offer some encouragement:

I started at about 240 and now I am pretty close to having lost 60 pounds. I should be crossing that milestone in just a couple weeks. It can be done!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Actually, that's my biggest problem with the biggest loser, even % weight loss isn't compatable between men and women.

I would suggest checking % body fat lost. That is a GREAT measure of how you are doing. I mean, you can (and should) still measure weight lost, but % body fat will tell you how close to truely healthy you are. I.E.

take 2 women, all other stats being equal (height, age, weight, activity level)

if one woman has 22% body fat and the other woman has 27% body fat, the 22% BF woman is in far better shape, and I dare say will LOOK a lot better too in 95% of the cases.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Here is a website that will do it for you.....

http://menshealth.about.com/library/blpercentage.htm