Too many carbs!!!

Options
OK...so my biggest problem in my diet is my beloved/hated carbohydrates!!! How do I cut them down/out? I love to have rice or pasta with sauteed veggies, I had toast for breakfast, crackers for snack...etc.

I need some good low/no carb recipes!!! I'm a semi picky eater I guess...I like vegetables, fruits, turkey and chicken...I'm not a fish eater...other than tuna fish. I like salads but they never seem to keep me full.

I know this is a super vage post but I need some help and I have very little time to type this right now!

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Replies

• vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    You need to add a protein with every meal/snack. String cheese, yogart, cottage cheese, peanut butter etc. The carbs burn fast and the protein burns slower helping you to be more satisfied for a longer time.

My favorite meal/snack is non-fat vanilla yogart and blueberries.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cheese snacks, nuts, jerky, fruit and fresh veggies. The startchy carbs is what gets you, try to stay away from them, especially in the later part of the day. If your going to have startchy carbs try to have them for breakfast or lunch.

hope this helps
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I hear ya girl!! Love them crackers, cereal, bread, pasta.............. :cry: :sad:

Doing my best to avoid those buggers by eating whole grains like brown rice, quinoa etc.

Brown rice, chicken or turkey + veggies = my mainstay meal.
    Keeps me satisfied & not craving those lovely processed carbs! :love:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    OK...so my biggest problem in my diet is my beloved/hated carbohydrates!!! How do I cut them down/out? I love to have rice or pasta with sauteed veggies, I had toast for breakfast, crackers for snack...etc.

I need some good low/no carb recipes!!! I'm a semi picky eater I guess...I like vegetables, fruits, turkey and chicken...I'm not a fish eater...other than tuna fish. I like salads but they never seem to keep me full.

I know this is a super vage post but I need some help and I have very little time to type this right now!

Any suggestions are welcome :)

From what you've said, try Brown rice, Whole wheat pasta and WW toast.
    Also watch your portions. I also agree, add some protein, chicken, fish, turkey, cheese.
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    I like to put chickpeas and nuts on my salads to help keep me feeling full. I hear ya...having just veggies keeps me satisfied for about 5 minutes.

Also, just discovered a super yummy snack. Mix cottage cheese (1/3 - 1/2 cup) with a little vanilla and sweetener. Takes care of those sweet cravings and adds protein to the day!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    ur problem is not so much carbs as simple carbs. try to eat COMPLEX/ GOOD CARBS.

What are complex carbs? I'm glad you asked...

They are simply sugars bonded together to form a chain. Because of it's complex chain form, your digestive enzymes have to work much harder to access the bonds to break the chain into individual sugars for absorption through the intestines.

Because of that, the digestion of complex carbohydrates takes longer. The slow absorption of sugars provides you with a steady supply of energy and limits the amount of sugar converted into fat and stored!

Usually people consider complex carbohydrates as good carbohydrates.

Here's a list of complex carbohydrates foods.

Spinach
    Whole Barley
    Grapefruit
    Turnip Greens
    Buckwheat
    Apples
    Lettuce
    Buckwheat bread
    Prunes
    Water Cress
    Oat bran bread
    Dried apricots
    Zucchini
    Oatmeal
    Pears
    Asparagus
    Oat bran cereal
    Plums
    Artichokes
    Museli
    Strawberries
    Okra
    Wild rice
    Oranges
    Cabbage
    Brown rice
    Yams
    Celery
    Multi-grain bread
    Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Pinto beans
    Potatoes
    Dill Pickles
    Low fat yogurt
    Soybeans
    Radishes
    Skim milk
    Lentils
    Broccoli
    Navy beans
    Garbanzo beans
    Brussels
    Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Kidney beans
    Eggplant
    Soy milk
    Lentils
    Onions
    Whole meal bread
    Split peas

HOPE THAT HELPS!
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    ^^^ I agree with nolachick.

I cut back on carbs, and only eat complex ones. NO WHITE CARBS! They are not good for you because your body burns through them too quickly, then your blood sugar drops and you're hungry again.

Complex carbs are broken down more slowly by your body, and if you eat protein with it, it is broken down even more slowly.

I never eat a carb without a protein, ex:

apple and string cheese
    brown rice and fish
    whole wheat toast and egg white