Thread for All Women who LIFT

Options
I've been lifting for about a month now and I really love it. I want to know what weight you started out lifting for lower/upper body, what weight you lift now, etc. Just anything and everything you want to talk about concerning lifting. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and advice! :)

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for nearly a year and I estimate that my strength has increased for lower body lifts by 30% and for upper body lifts by about 15%. I was really, really weak when I started. I've noticed my functional strength and grip has improved as well. Of course, I've lost body fat, gained a little muscle and experienced body recomp too. I like the way weight lifting has improved my life overall.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd like to see starting and current weights lifted too. :)
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Bump...I lift, but am thinking about adding more lean mass. I am inerested in tips on building from anyone who has been successful...
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I lift...and LOVE IT!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I"m 44yrs old. I started with 1lb dumbells a year ago. I do the Tony Little Total body curcuit video 3 times a week and moved up to 8lb dumbells just this week though I think I could do 10lbs and fewer sets on a couple of things.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting since March and I LOVE IT. I lift 3 days a week. I started out w/ 20lbs, 10 on each side and now I'm up to 80lbs. I have lost body fat and gained muscle. I'm now cutting body fat, so I have dropped my weight and increased my reps, I work 2 muscle groups per day, 3 times a week.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting since March and I LOVE IT. I lift 3 days a week. I started out w/ 20lbs, 10 on each side and now I'm up to 80lbs. I have lost body fat and gained muscle. I'm now cutting body fat, so I have dropped my weight and increased my reps, I work 2 muscle groups per day, 3 times a week.

How long did it take you to move up weight? I'm worried about moving up too quickly. I've never lifted before this past month so I'm worried about form even though I'm not too sure what form actually is... I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer and I love it! I'm just not sure how heavy I'm "supposed' to be lifting. Especially for arms. I started out using 8-10 lbs dumbbells last month and now I'm using 15-20 lb. depending on what exercise I do. Should I be moving up weight faster?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my time using lighter weights and involving them in circuit type workouts/higher reps to burn calories and get more of a cardio work out in until just a few weeks ago. Now, I'm doing that same thing still 2 days a week and lifting heavier 2 days a week but still not "heavy" according to what I see a lot of people describe as heavy here. I like to keep my reps at 10. If I can't do 8 I lower the weight. If I can do more than 10 I increase the weight. I also use dumb bells, medicine balls, kettle bells, free weights and stay away from machines. I'm a fan, but I'm still so focused on weight loss on seeing the scale move 2lbs a week I get anxious about it. LOL
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for about 2 years now, I LOVE it., I feel strong and confident!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Back in 2005 when I joined a gym for the very first time, they had me start at 4-6 lb. dumbbells doing bench presses, bicep curls, tricep extensions, squats, lunges etc. but then I stopped after I got sick for few months. Then after 5 years (yeah I know that's too long to wait) I started over again with 2-3 lb weights doing the same workout but with addition of deadlifts, knee push-ups & planks. Then after few weeks upped it to 5-8 lbs. & was able to do full push-ups.

Right now I lift weight ranges from 35-60lbs. for upper body exercises & 70-80lbs. for lower body.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Love lifting, have been doing it for ~7 years. had to cut back for race season but look forward to restarting next week after my last race.
    We'll see if I maintained my weights...at the beginning of june i was at

85lb*6reps for bench
    135*8reps for romanian dead left
    115*6reps for back squats

Keep us posted ladies!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    After hearing about all the great things lifting can do for you I had to try it, no clue where to start so I got ChaLean Extreme.
    It is 3 months long, this is my last week. I got some nice results. I use dumbbells from 8 to 20 lbs. I probably could go heavier, but I dont have any bigger ones. I am now hooked on lifting. I love the way my arms and bottom are starting to look.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

How long did it take you to move up weight? I'm worried about moving up too quickly. I've never lifted before this past month so I'm worried about form even though I'm not too sure what form actually is... I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer and I love it! I'm just not sure how heavy I'm "supposed' to be lifting. Especially for arms. I started out using 8-10 lbs dumbbells last month and now I'm using 15-20 lb. depending on what exercise I do. Should I be moving up weight faster?

Once your current weight is no longer a challenge, then you move up. You always want to constantly challenge your muscles. Your body will tell you when it's time to move up in weights. It took me about three months to move up that weight. Now my legs could always withstand more weight so I can press about 125lbs on my legs. You move up at the pace your body tells you. Some people will intentionally move up weight every week or so, and you can do that, but I believe that you should work at the level that is challenging you until it's no longer a challenge, so you don't overdo it. I've overdone it before and all it does is make you wanna quit lifting. Your muscles will naturally become stronger so you don't have to worry about not moving up.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I always use the 2X2 rule.
    If I can do 2 more reps at my current weight for 2 workouts in a rows, time to move up.
  • stormystrickland
    Options

Once your current weight is no longer a challenge, then you move up. You always want to constantly challenge your muscles. Your body will tell you when it's time to move up in weights. It took me about three months to move up that weight. Now my legs could always withstand more weight so I can press about 125lbs on my legs. You move up at the pace your body tells you. Some people will intentionally move up weight every week or so, and you can do that, but I believe that you should work at the level that is challenging you until it's no longer a challenge, so you don't overdo it. I've overdone it before and all it does is make you wanna quit lifting. Your muscles will naturally become stronger so you don't have to worry about not moving up.

That makes a lot of sense and helps me a lot. Thank you! The weird thing for me is that I started with next to no arm strength, but I could do about 110-130 for my legs.
  • awilkinson72
    Options
    If you are worried about your form you probably need to check with a personal trainer or someone who is qualified and can watch your form because it is always better to do one rep with perfect form then 10 with the wrong form because then you are only building your muscles in the wrong way.... That being said not everyone can afford a personal trainer so if that is the case try doing the exercises in the mirror so that you are able to see if you look the way they do in the videos or from the pictures online (jamie easons)

Also if you are looking to build size you want to go lower reps with higher weight (somewhere in the 6-8 range) if you are looking to lean out a little you go to a little lighter weight and keep the reps to around 10-15 then for endurance you want to go light and be able to do anywhere from 12-20 reps. With all situations a good rule of thumb is have the last 3 reps be hard but still doable with good form.

I have been lifting for about 9 years and I love how it makes you feel but you need to make sure that you are doing it right or it will just hurt you. Increasing your lean muscle mass also helps burning calories because it takes more calories to keep them going while you are at rest.

Also if you are concerned you are moving up too fast you should be fine if your form is good and also you can try doing "drop-sets" or even "super-setting" your exercises. Hope that helps anyone!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options

Heavy is whats heavy to you. Just like you moved up from 8-10 to 15-20, you'll know when it is time to increase again. Just continue to increase weights!! Challenge yourself !! And eat!! Eat especially protein, have to feed those muscles and let them repair and rest. And Just keep lifting girl!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love, love, love lifting. I started on the machines lifting 20-50lbs and I hated doing my arms. Now I use dumb bells and barbells, benching 100lb, squats170lbs, deadlift 125lbs, should press 65lbs, barbell curls 55lbs, alt dumbbell curls 25lbs etc. I love to see how my body has transformed and seeing my body fat vanish.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting this past April and LOVE it

currently I have a cheaper bar and set of weights but I`m going to be upgrading to an olimpic bar at the end of the month :) and some nice plates

started on 35pound bench press sad compaired to some but hey ya gotta start somewhere
    30 pound on my squats
    30 pound curls
    30 pound lunges
    40 pound dead lift
    30 pound dumb bell row
    30 pound arm raise lung

I do 6-8 reps and plan to move up 5pounds each time it starts getting easy (where I feel I could do more than the 8 reps its time to add weight)
  • stormystrickland
    Options
    Does anyone here every feel weird when working out at the gym? I watch the bodybuilding videos a ton of times so I know what I'm doing, but when I get to the gym I get so nervous. Some of the workouts I can do in my women's section, but most of the workouts I need to do is in the part with all of the men. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting in their way or they'll look at me weird haha I'm just trying not to focus on it so much. I'm there to muscle pump, not impress people lol