Any Fitness Swimmers?

Options
KALMdown
KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
I'm interested in seeing how often you swim, how long you swim, example workouts. Also, do you monitor your heart rate? Do you find it's harder to get it as high as if you worked out on land?

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 times per week, and it's been great.
    No, I do not monitor heart rates and such. My guesses have been close enough.
    600 calories per hour!:drinker:

I do a slow free style for a mile - 30 minutes, then HIIT where I tread water for 3 minutes and swim free style for 2 laps full force - 30 more minutes -- an hour total.
    It's a fantastic burn.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't track calories either. I swim as often as possible. Sometimes 5x week. Sometimes 0. Before taking laps I do upper body and lower body resistance exercises in the pool. It's an awesome burn that I can't even describe!
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would never call myself a fitness swimmer. However, we do have a pool and I do swim in it everyday. I swim or tread water the whole time I am in, at least an hour, sometimes, longer. I think I burn as many calories as I do on land. I can get my heartrate up pretty good in the water. But I sweat a lot less of course, lol. I also have found I have sore muscles after swimming, but I don't have sore muscles after walking, doing the arc trainer, or lifting weights.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I love swimming. Less stress on the body, full body work out at that, and you if you swim and keep your head above water you get a good ab work out in too. I do breast strokes for half an hour and try to do that every day. Sometimes I'll try to do an hour a day if I have time. Plus it gets me outside to get some much needed vitamin d in me. So I say do it! I love it!
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I moderately swim 2-3 times a week.... I do it for fun though, I haven't tracked my heart rate or anything.
  • amiers11
    amiers11 Posts: 33
    Options
    I swim 3x a week. I bike to the pool, swim, bike home. I monitor my heart rate the entire workout. I find it harder to reach goal heart rate in the pool. I swim for an hour. For my warmup I do drills like:
    4x25 right arm
    4x25 pull
    4x25 left arm
    4x25 kick
    4x25 catch up
    Then do freestyle and a cool down.
  • KALMdown
    Options
    I'm starting up on swimming again. Took a few months break to do gym workouts, but missed swimming. Even on a heavy swim workout, I feel more relaxed and calm.

I usually do distance swimming, swimming for one or two miles but I know how to adjust my pace to keep my breathing even and am worried I'm not getting my heart rate up enough.

This morning I did 30 minutes non-stop front crawl/freestyle at moderate pace. I wasn't slacking but neither was I at 110% capacity. After I took my pulse and it was around 130/minute.

I love distance swimming but am wondering if interval swimming is better.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do 1500-2000m 1-2x per week for triathlon training. I always feel like I got in a serious workout afterwards because I'm exhausted and starving!!
  • KALMdown
    Options
    I do 1500-2000m 1-2x per week for triathlon training. I always feel like I got in a serious workout afterwards because I'm exhausted and starving!!

Boy do I hear you. I try to average 1500m minimum on swim workouts. That makes me hungry. Anything more than 1500 and I feel like I could eat the cow straight off the pasture. :)
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Boy do I hear you. I try to average 1500m minimum on swim workouts. That makes me hungry. Anything more than 1500 and I feel like I could eat the cow straight off the pasture. :)

BTW, because I'm pressed for time, it's a continuous swim as fast as I can go. My heart is hammering when I stop. May not be a speedster at the swim, but it's that hard for me. It usually takes my just under 42 minutes to do 1500. I only learned to swim last year and am trying to improve on my time.