Anyone else do Tabata protocol?

Options
Or am I the only one dumb enough to inflict that much misery and torture on my body?

If you do, what exercise do you use, how many repetitions do you do, and what interval set do you use?
Also,

How often do you do it, and do you do anything after it?

I always feel a little bit guilty later on that day because I only worked out for 14 minutes (well, I always do core that day too, so it's really about 24 to 27 minutes, but...), psycologically I know that the EPOC of Tabata is WAAAAYYY higher than almost any other cardio, and yeah, my legs feel like jello for about an hour after I do it, but still, I feel like I should be doing 45 minutes. Am I alone? I need a support group for this stuff :tongue: .

My stats are as follows:

I do the original tabata on a spinning bike
5 minute warm up
8 reps of 20 seconds hard 10 seconds easy
5 minutes cool down
twice a week
I add core after it (10 minutes, planks, side planks, full situps, and some kettle bell work usually)

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I actually started doing it after I saw you talking about it on a thread somewhere....
    I'm doing:

5min warm up
    4min of 20 hard 20 easy (just got here from 20/30 :happy: )
    5min cool down.

I usually do it 2 - 3 times a week depending on how often I make it to the gym. I use the elliptical and jack the tension way up when I do the 'sprints'. I want to use the bike or treadmill but me knees act up when I do.

I am also doing the 100 pushups program and the 200 situps program at home and I usually use the weight machines at the gym when I'm done on the elliptical...

I never feel guilty, honestly I get so bored if I'm on a machine for more than 30 mins, and sometimes I can't even make it that long. I feel like I'm really working myself now instead of just counting the minutes until I can get off the machine. I feel energized (after I get my breath back :wink: ) and I like it so much better than counting the minutes until I can get off of the machine.

Thanks for talking about it in the first place. :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It's my pleasure, I'm glad I helped you out. I guess it's just me. I'm a glutton, and I'm impatient. I want to do as much work as I can as fast as I can. Intellectually I realize that doing this kind of ultra high intensity work for too long is dangerous (thus we only do 15 minutes or so), but the animal part of my brain wants to jump on and do another session after I rest for 10 minutes. I KNOW I'm risking my body if I do, but that doesn't stop me from wanting too.

I tried it on the elliptical once, couldn't get my heart rate up above 82% though when I did it, and never really got out of breath badly like I do when I sprint on the bike. I DID do running a few times, that was cool, but soon enough, I couldn't get the treadmill to go high enough (12 is as fast as it goes, and I can sprint pretty fast, so that wasn't all out for me), so I stick with the bike now-a-days. I AM considering giving the mountain climber a try, but that might kill me (or maybe just cripple my knees :tongue: ) so I'm a little anxious on that one. Oh well. Carpe Diem right? Maybe Friday (my next tabata day).
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Whoa Nelly.......... never heard of this so had to look it up:

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Good luck to all you hardcore peeps out there! :flowerforyou:
    I'll have to work up to this........... :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Luckilly there are stages you can do Barb. you can do 10/30, then 15/20 then 20/20 then finally 20/10

that's how I did it (well, I never did 10/30, I started with 15/20 for 2 weeks, 3 times a week then went to 20/20 for a month)

It will be a pretty quick ramp up for most people, and the EPOC is PHENOMENAL!

If you don't know what EPOC is, read here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption
  • Kityngirl
    Options

Believe it or not I'm not hardcore at all...yet... I'm working my way up there. I started at 20 on and 30 off and my 'sprints' weren't exactly all that 'sprinty', but they really got my heart rate up and now every week or so that I do it the level goes up a notch on the elliptical so the sprints become harder. It's building up the same way you do with any other program. :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    bumping cuz there can't just be 2 of us. I refuse to believe it!:noway:
  • Kityngirl
    Options
    bumping cuz there can't just be 2 of us. I refuse to believe it!:noway:

It is kinda strange. It's such a good program I figured there would be more people doing it. I love that my 'sprints' when I first started were nothing like the sprints I do now. People at the gym look at me like I'm crazy when I'm going full out on the elliptical. :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

It is kinda strange. It's such a good program I figured there would be more people doing it. I love that my 'sprints' when I first started were nothing like the sprints I do now. People at the gym look at me like I'm crazy when I'm going full out on the elliptical. :laugh:

maybe it's just that everyone's out doing their protocol right now. :tongue:
  • Kityngirl
    Options

maybe it's just that everyone's out doing their protocol right now. :tongue:

Well then they would be back by now. :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm gonna try this one last time, even though today isn't my Tabata day, I still would like to know.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    This is an old post, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I've recently started incorporating tabata protocol in my workouts. I have been doing them with a jump rope and doing burpees. I workout at home and, unfortunately, don't have the room to set up my bike on the trainer in my new place. One of my guy friends (after puking following just 3 minutes of tabata on the bike) tells me that the stationary bike is harder than jump rope or burpees. But I suppose it depends on how "full throttle" you go.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    This is an old post, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I've recently started incorporating tabata protocol in my workouts. I have been doing them with a jump rope and doing burpees. I workout at home and, unfortunately, don't have the room to set up my bike on the trainer in my new place. One of my guy friends (after puking following just 3 minutes of tabata on the bike) tells me that the stationary bike is harder than jump rope or burpees. But I suppose it depends on how "full throttle" you go.

I can confirm that. I do the full professional protocol now as my wife and I have 2 professional spin bikes in the basement we bought for a song from an auction, and have for the last 6 or 8 months now. It's very brutal, I only do it once or twice a week depending on what else I'm doing for hiit training. but even though the whole protocol is only 14 minutes long, it's like dying at the end. I've done it on other things as well, and the only thing that even compares to tabata protocol is 40 yard monsters outside (or on a basketball court doing 3 leg 20 yard monsters). but I hate tabata worse because it's not a normal motion for me, where as running is.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm......I might possibly try this tonight........

As a beginner what's suggested? I'll probably try it on the bike.,
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    buuuuuump
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Alright....so I just went for it and did the 20/10 and wow.....what a totally strange feeling when I was done. Very interesting. I'll keep trying it and see what happens.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Alright....so I just went for it and did the 20/10 and wow.....what a totally strange feeling when I was done. Very interesting. I'll keep trying it and see what happens.

you mean that burning, almost painful weakness in your quads? Or the slightly dizzy, lightheaded feeling in your head? :tongue:
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Alright, having Banks promote something like this is making me investigate and research more...hehe. I told my boyfriend about it and he is psyched. He does parkour and his workouts are usually very intense, but not done as regularly as he'd like. I think this sort of thing is right up his alley...and maybe mine. I will research more. Any great sites I should look at?

Thanks!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    One of my guy friends (after puking following just 3 minutes of tabata on the bike) tells me that the stationary bike is harder than jump rope or burpees. But I suppose it depends on how "full throttle" you go.

I can confirm that. I do the full professional protocol now as my wife and I have 2 professional spin bikes in the basement we bought for a song from an auction, and have for the last 6 or 8 months now. It's very brutal, I only do it once or twice a week depending on what else I'm doing for hiit training. but even though the whole protocol is only 14 minutes long, it's like dying at the end. I've done it on other things as well, and the only thing that even compares to tabata protocol is 40 yard monsters outside (or on a basketball court doing 3 leg 20 yard monsters). but I hate tabata worse because it's not a normal motion for me, where as running is.

Yeah, I wish I had easy access to a spin bike. I could go to the gym on campus, but it seems absurd to go for a 14 minute workout. Plus, I don't know that I want to puke in front of an entire gym full of people. I have a road bike and a trainer, but no room to set it up in my new place. At least no place to set it up and leave it up. Right now it has to stay in the storage space. Jump rope or burpees will have to do for now. Burpees are a full body exercise, which I've heard is ideal for tabata, and I definitely felt like I worked out after doing those.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

you mean that burning, almost painful weakness in your quads? Or the slightly dizzy, lightheaded feeling in your head? :tongue:

The dizzy lightheaded feeling! Crazy. It took like a half hour to recover from that.

I'm gonna do it again tomorrow. :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    One of my guy friends (after puking following just 3 minutes of tabata on the bike) tells me that the stationary bike is harder than jump rope or burpees. But I suppose it depends on how "full throttle" you go.

Yeah, I wish I had easy access to a spin bike. I could go to the gym on campus, but it seems absurd to go for a 14 minute workout. Plus, I don't know that I want to puke in front of an entire gym full of people. I have a road bike and a trainer, but no room to set it up in my new place. At least no place to set it up and leave it up. Right now it has to stay in the storage space. Jump rope or burpees will have to do for now. Burpees are a full body exercise, which I've heard is ideal for tabata, and I definitely felt like I worked out after doing those.

Burpees are the devil!