HIIT help????

Options
Hello all. I'm trying to drop 20 or so pounds and lose some body fat. I was thinking about starting HIIT. I can't go outside and run or do sprints but I can use my stationary bike or my treadmill (I'd easily prefer the bike, lol). I was thinking for now, exercising hard for about 30 - 45 seconds, then going at a slow pace for about 60 - 90 seconds, and repeat about 7 times. And then the rest of the time just go at a slightly challenging, but not too intense pace. (I plan on exercising for about 30 minutes in the morning, on an empty stomach, since that's all I have time for). As I get stronger, I'll increase the length of time to like 75 - 90 seconds of hard and 75 - 90 second of light.

I don't think I'll burn many calories this way, at least at first. So is it OK if I still workout in the afternoon? To see my normal afternoon workout, here's a previous topic of mine:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/670894-dance-dance-revolution

Does this all sound alright? Thank you!

LOL what makes you say I'm not willing to??? I said I would do go at an intense pace. Where's the confusion?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ummm, but if you arent willing to go at an intense pace (whatever that means for you) then you arent doing HIIT.

why not just stick with regular intervals until you get fit enough to push yourself into HIIT?
  • PaulaAW
    PaulaAW Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would be very interested in the reply's you get with this.
    I'm trying HIIT every other day, using a treadmill. I'm warming up for 10 mins then sprinting for 45 seconds at about 13MPH, then my rest is 6MPH for 1 min. I'm trying to get in 20 repeats but can only make 15 most days.
    I'm unsure if this is classed a HIIT.
  • kerriclogs
    kerriclogs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    try tabata - search for circuits on youtube - each tabata is 4 minutes - 8 repetitions of 20 secs work, 10 secs rest. I alternate two exercises -

Example
    20 sec plank, rest 10 sec, 20 sec supermans, rest 10 sec, repeat cycle 3 more times
    20 sec side leg lift, rest 10 sec, 20 sec side plank, rest 10 sec, switch sides and repeat 7 more times so you are doing each side 4 times
    20 sec squats, 10 sec rest, 20 sec walking lunges, rest 10 sec

that's 16 minutes don't forget to warm up with 5 min walking and cool down with 5 more minutes walking then stretch
  • lexismomgiraffe
    Options
    I'm doing it. I think you either love it or hate it. I love it. I think it is genius, because I can talk myself into doing practically ANYTHING for 20 seconds. I just take it 20 seconds at a time. Also, I like the variety of it. You can tabata anything, if you're willing to do ___ (fill in the blank) ___ hard and fast. I've done it with cardio and gotten so breathless I couldn't move. I've done it with strength training - and for the first time ever burned my muscles out to the point of total failure.

I have a lifetime's worth of dance training and middle distance running in my past though, so I have no problem keeping safe while doing all this. My husband can't do it - he tried, but he just doesn't know what he's doing when exercising well enough to not be scared of getting hurt with it.

Makes you *wicked* sore, super fast results for me, in terms of inches...but not scale numbers. I would assume I'm building muscle.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    If you can run at 6mph, try doing 2 minutes @ 4.5mph, then 2 mins @ 6mph - all at a 2-3% incline - for a total of 30 minutes (will get to about 2.5 miles). Not HIIT, but will build up your endurance and burn a lot of calories.