Calories logging & incorrect entries.

Options
Why is it that some of the food data on here is so out of being correct? I actually have several of the items here at home, when I go to log it I go via what it says on the packet, yet if I search here it comes up as way way less. People have put these in themselves & cheated themselves & others by putting in a lower value that what they are consuming....and that throws the rest of us off. Many times I have had to correct other peoples entries just so I'm not ripped off.

Please PLEASE make sure you put in the CORRECT details. It's hard enough trying to find the right item without having to search for the correct one. Go by what is written on the packet/box.

Replies

• fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I've found it in both directions (over and under or totally missing all macro values). I usually find the one that most closely matches the correct info and then I correct it. It is time consuming. I really wish folks would not add foods if they are not going to take the time to add the correct values or the macros. It can throw logging way off if it's incorrect.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't care if they cheat themselves, they are only doing wrong to them... but when others may rely on it then that pisses me off cause it's ME that they are cheating then.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I try and scan as much as I can with my phone, you'd at least hope that's correct. Mind you, lol, I scanned my Pauls' Phsyical No Fat milk the other day, and the barcode said Bran Flakes.. wtf??? lol
  • Cassidygriego
    Cassidygriego Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with the phone scanning. It works most of the time, and it's really easy.
    I don't worry too much about incorrect data, because I always look at the nutritional info and make sure to find the correct entry. I also weigh my fruits and veggies to make sure I know exactly how much I'm getting :smile:
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wait....you can scan bar codes w phones to get nutrient data?!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's not all that difficult just to verify it or correct it tho? I ALWAYS double check things that don't have a high number of confirmations or that seem low to me

If it's wrong I create my own food or search a little harder and find the correct value. If it's something popular chances are you'll find someone who entered it right.

If not I just create a new thing under "My Foods" label is as correct or verified by...and I'm all set. It doesn't take long. If there's a certain meal I eat a lot I add it to my meals using already counted calories or creating my own foods. It saves time for things you eat often.

I've actually found most things to be fairly accurate if you take the time to find the correct entires. I don't have cool phone scanning thing =(

I agree it's a bit annoying searching for the right one especially when you cant find it but I would suggest just saving your own entry under my foods or my meals ie helps out a lot
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the values are incorrect because of different formulations or sizes in different countries, not because people are inputting incorrect information.
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    Wait....you can scan bar codes w phones to get nutrient data?!

I would like to know more about this as well please.
  • Jaxta65
    Jaxta65 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I'm new to this. I have noticed discrepancies, where is the option to confirm an entry and where can i See how many confirmations an entry has?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    When you search for a food to add to your diary, you can click under the name of the food to see the nutritional information. MFP also asks when you highlight the food item if the information is accurate.
  • DebbieRae
    DebbieRae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you download the My Fitness Pal app you can scan foods using their barcodes right from the app. I can't remember if the scanner is built in or if you have to download one to your phone. I love it!.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The one that frustrates me the most are for bell peppers. There are at least a dozen different entries, and I have to go through so many before I find one that goes by weight, in grams. I wish we could just flag and/or delete duplicate entries.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are checking the serving size as well...although most people put in the amount for one serving, occasionally you'll come across counts for a smaller serving size than usual, say a half cup instead of a cup.
  • LMorenos
    LMorenos Posts: 1
    Options
    I've really noticed the lack of nutritional info on this site. I'm trying to track cholesterol and fibre as well as fat/calories (surely I'm not the only one seeking a rounded diet??). The entries barely contain these at all! I think I'm going to have to start correcting information -even if only for my own sake
  • charitas32
    charitas32 Posts: 58
    Options
    Glad it's not just me, some of the time if it's fairly processed then the formulation might of changed. I want to know where to buy all these lower calorie stuff, especially the tortillas.!
  • Jaxta65
    Jaxta65 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks I tried this, but I still don't see it. I am using an iPad, maybe that's why?
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks I tried this, but I still don't see it. I am using an iPad, maybe that's why?

Check you are downloading the right app for your phone. I find it great to use at the supermarket when comparing products, like bread etc.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    like...

I have found that this is true in many cases. sometimes you can see they are following a type of diet, other times just cheaters.
    there is a my food section for folks who wish too modify things for themselves it should be used more.
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also edit the product if I have the nutrition values - from the packet on hand. You can do this on the database - to give a more accurate calculation and nutrient info.
    In the end this helps everyone.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Another easy error to make, is the assumption that weight conversions are the same in the UK and the US. For example, In the UK there are 14 UK lbs in a UK stone, and 12.5 US lbs in a US stone. While on the subject, there are 5.7 kg in a US stone and 6.3 kg in a UK stone. Hope this is of value to members when working out comparisons..............now where did I leave my metric tonne weights?