So um I have a problem.. =/

Options
I'm becoming scared of the scale >.<
I'm curious to see if I lost weight but um I'm scared that if I check I either have lost nothing or went up.
I have this bad habit of Yo-Yo-ing with my weight which has been the main reason I have failed in losing weight before.
I get excited, lose weight, go to check my weight a few days later only to find out I went up. It takes a very emotional toll on me to the point I am literally tempted to have my mom hide the scale from me so I don't fail this time.
Any help on how to over come this?
Thanks~ Ley.

Replies

• TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    try to only get on the scale once a week :) that way you won't really notice if you fluctuate!
    also, take measurements of yourself. sometimes the scale won't show when you're actually slimming down.
    hope that helps! don't fear the scale, it's only part of the whole fitness journey!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your body can fluctuate as much as 5-10 pounds an it have nothing to do with gaining fat.

as long as you know that you arent eating TDEE+3500 calorie then there's no way you're actually gaining fat.

one way to overcome the anxiety is to only weigh in once every 1-2 weeks and the same time of day
  • Mishadijo
    Mishadijo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale control you. I am repeating a post I had written earlier on this topic below. Hope it helps.

There is much discussion about this topic and there are many pro's and con's many different approaches. I think it boils down to the ultimate 'nirvana' state which is not letting the scale control you, whatever weighing routine you go with. You can't let the ups and downs of the scale dictate your emotions. You need to grasp and control those, then the scale becomes simply a tool to track your trends.

Trends over time is truly what it is all about. If over days, weeks and months you are on a decline in average then you are contstantly, steadily and gradually moving close to your goal. The power of the trend over time is truly amazing to experience, and believe in. And it buffets you from the fluctuations, plateau's and weight increases that are bound to occur at different points in your journey.

So decide that routine YOU want with regard to weighing yourself as it truly is not the component that is the most important. What is most important is your control it, it does not control you.

Now take my own personal journey for instance. I weigh myself each day in the morning first thing so there is a consistent baseline to assist in the tracking of true trends towards my goal. It has enlightened me tremendously regarding the dynamics of weight loss. It has come to the point now that when I jump on the scale and it is higher than the day before, I actually feel wonderful as it re-inforces to me that this is a journey and although I'm up today... I know overall I am trending downward. A real good feeling for me.

In saying this, I also formally record weekly weight every friday morning. I joined a group on MFP (for people over 100lbs to lose) and register my weekly weight there. This dynamic is nice for me as no matter how each day went, there is a larger checkpoint (weekly) which also re-infor.4ces the trending dynamic. (i.e. This week, on Thursday when I weight in, I was 281.6 lbs. On my Friday weigh in I was up to 283. But Friday a week ago I was 284.4, so I lost 1.4lbs during the week. Today I checking in at 280.4. Through all of this up and down, kept the emotions in check.. in fact the 283 on Friday made me feel great even though i was up 1.4lbs over the previous day.

Anyway, so sorry for the long winded answer but it seems a very signficant question to all of us and one I have agonized over very much before settling into my current rythym. And it works exceptionally well on so many levels, for me.

What works for you can be totally different, and therein in lies constant struggle for so many of us seeking guidance and advice. It truly comes down to you taking control, and not letting 'firehose' of advice take over you. Seek it, assess it based upon who YOU are and make it work for you so that you feel great about whatever decision you take as it will be your own. From there, believe it and just DO IT!! Smiling
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    1. Realise the scale for what it is - a lying little *kitten*. :)
    2. Put the sacale away and rely on other measures to track your progress (pics, tape measure and how your clothes are fitting)
    3. If you really want to keep the scale (and I do), you need to properly understand what makes your weight go up and down (eg the effect of sodium intake, TOM and water retention etc). Knowledge is power and once you understand what is REALLY required to lose fat you will be less worried about the little bumps along the way and trust the process.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I know that feeling all too well. You step on the scale, and you see that you lost weight. You get excited, maybe too excited. The next day, you think to yourself, "It's okay to have some pizza. I lost weight. I deserve a treat. Maybe I'll even have some ice cream too." The following day, you step on the scale and see you've gained back the weight that you lost the day before. You get discouraged. Then, you either a) Continue overeating/making bad food choices because you feel guilty or b) Eat healthily for the next day or so and then repeat the cycle again without even noticing. You need to break that cycle. Solution: Weigh yourself once per week. It's easier said than done, but it will most definitely help you. Also, you might want to allow yourself to have one slightly unhealthy meal per week of your choice. Designate a day for it, and make that be your only cheat meal per week. Good luck! :)
  • Leyonie
    Leyonie Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for all the explanations. Really helps.
    I suppose I am being a little silly on being scared of something so small.
    Anyway thank you for all your responses. I would thank you each separately but I'm late for bed and I have to be up early so thank you all again.
    Night!
    Ley~
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Thanks for all the explanations. Really helps.
    I suppose I am being a little silly on being scared of something so small.
    Anyway thank you for all your responses. I would thank you each separately but I'm late for bed and I have to be up early so thank you all again.
    Night!
    Ley~

No problem! :) You can add me if you want. We're close in age.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1. Realise the scale for what it is - a lying little *kitten*. :)
    2. Put the sacale away and rely on other measures to track your progress (pics, tape measure and how your clothes are fitting)
    3. If you really want to keep the scale (and I do), you need to properly understand what makes your weight go up and down (eg the effect of sodium intake, TOM and water retention etc). Knowledge is power and once you understand what is REALLY required to lose fat you will be less worried about the little bumps along the way and trust the process.

I think I'm going to tape that to my scale: "Lying little *kitten*." LOL!!!
    I've lost inches but not pounds lately. I'll take it.
  • tangoa24
    tangoa24 Posts: 27
    Options
    I know a lot of people say stay away from the scale, but I do the opposite. I literally weigh myself every morning - not so I can have a guilt trip, but so weight doesn't creep up on me. I've gotten used to seeing those few flux pounds, and they don't bother me anymore. I log drops in weight, but not gains since everyone goes up and down a little day to day. I always weigh first thing in the morning so I can get the most accurate reading day to day. This way I'm not shocked by a big weight gain. If i see a few days in a row that are above where I was and want to be, I adjust my eating accordingly. It's when I stopped weighing myself that I gained the most weight. Step on that scale, SEE that number, and OWN IT. Accept what your weight is and move forward. When you do that, everything gets a lot easier. I definitely had a point where I would get so depressed stepping on the scale, and then I realized that getting upset and depressed isn't going to change that number. Be the change you want to see!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Toss it out the window.