Daily calories

Options
I only signed up 4 days ago and my daily calorie allowance is 1200, that seems rather low, is that a default setting or did I miss something somewhere to get that calculated, I have entered my height weight age sex lifestyle etc. since playing around on the site i have noticed i can alter the amount? I have felt ok on 1200 cals, but am worried it may be too low? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gordan1972
    gordan1972 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is not too low. My girlfriend have calorie allowance 1400. And she is 1.72cm height, 64 kilos weight.
    You can adjust your allowance, but you must not go below your daily Base metabolic rate.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read the first post in this thread, courtesy of Helloitsdan. He does a good job of explaining it and setting up the calculations for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Arwen280804
    Arwen280804 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mine's been set to 1200 as well. Some days I really struggle with that, and tend to go over, even if only by 50 or so.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you told it a required weight loss and an activity level, the target is a result of that. If you don't like the number aim for a lower target weight loss, or get more active on a daily basis.
  • Jaxta65
    Jaxta65 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Jaxta65
    Options
    Read the first post in this thread, courtesy of Helloitsdan. He does a good job of explaining it and setting up the calculations for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Well I've done all that and now I am allows 2047 calories a day, goes from one extreme to the other, surely if I eat hat amount I will put on that's more than I consumed before. Oh this is very confusing. I have calculatedt. 3 times, I haven't made a mistake, but that can't be right, i was expecting an allowance of about 1400 cals.
  • Jaxta65
    Options
    Well I'm taller than her at 1.74 and weighing 76 kg, 1400 sounds nice, I would like to be 64 kilos :-)
  • Jaxta65
    Options
    Perhaps it is not too low. My girlfriend have calorie allowance 1400. And she is 1.72cm height, 64 kilos weight.
    You can adjust your allowance, but you must not go below your daily Base metabolic rate.

Well I'm taller than her at 1.74 and weighing 76 kg, 1400 sounds nice, I would like to be 64 kilos :-)
  • Jaxta65
    Options
    you told it a required weight loss and an activity level, the target is a result of that. If you don't like the number aim for a lower target weight loss, or get more active on a daily basis.

Well I've been reading a bit about BMR and apparently you shouldnt go below that, well mine is 1568, maybe that's why I'm feeling flakey today and so tired...
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I would say that is definitely too low. It wouldn't even cover your basic BMR let alone take into account daily activity and jobs etc. I really recommend following the road map plan made by Dan =)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm using now:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I tried looking at all these different numbers and websites and I got SOOO confused and didn't know what was up. This is somewhere in the middle and doable for me.

if you're feeling tired/flakey, you're not eating enough
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1200 is starvation. Helloitsdan's method works, it takes time. Just make sure you're at least 1500+ daily.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    that's what it was for me, now that i'm at a new goal weight and don't weigh as much, my cal intake has gone up by 20 cal. 1220.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Because the number MFP spits out is infallible and there is no possibility of human error or data entry error either.

OP, one of the common gotchas to check is what you entered for activity level. Many of us have found that even with sedentary jobs an lifestyles, we have to pick up a higher activity level.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Well I've done all that and now I am allows 2047 calories a day, goes from one extreme to the other, surely if I eat hat amount I will put on that's more than I consumed before. Oh this is very confusing. I have calculatedt. 3 times, I haven't made a mistake, but that can't be right, i was expecting an allowance of about 1400 cals.
    I am 5'4'' and my daily intake is between 1900 and 2200 and I am losing. It can take some trial and error to get to the amount that works in your situation though.