An ALMOST frustrating NSV...

Options
chocl8girl
chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
A few weeks ago, I bought a pair of jeans at Old Navy. This is the first "normal" (i.e. non-plus-size-only) store I have ventured to buy pants in in ummmmm....perhaps over 20 years. Right now I am basically in a size 14 in plus-size store sizes, so I had tried on both a size 14 and a 16 at ON. The 14s felt just a BIT too snug, so I went with the more comfortable 16s, mostly because I still feel like these magical sizes have nothing to do with how big/small I actually am, so I always err on the side of bigger. Now, fast forward several weeks later, and I go to wear these pants for the first time (has been too hot around here to wear jeans mostly) and THEY ARE TOO DANG BIG to wear without a belt! The waist has like a 5-inch gap in the back somehow, and they are baggy in the thighs/butt. What in the world? Too late to take them back now. LMAO. Maybe I can try washing and drying them on high....

As a side note, my 11-year-old son TOLD me to buy the 14s...I should never doubt his judgement again. Hahaha!

And, also, I went to see Dream Theater on Monday night for my birthday, and I bought a size LARGE concert t-shirt, and it fits WITHOUT stretching! Whose body is this? lol

Replies

• reesa722
    reesa722 Posts: 76
    Options
    Try drying them on high... I know it's frustrating to spend money on clothes that don't fit, but damn that's a good problem to have! :) Congrats!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    That is a frustrating NSV! but so happy for you that your 16s are now too big! :) you'll be on your way to 12s in no time!
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love it when my "new" clothes are too big!!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

By the way, my cousin who works in retails says to always buy jeans that you can just barely close because they stretch fairly quickly with wear, so your son was right.
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Very frustrating and awesome at the same time.lol :smile:
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    LOL Oh hun.. you are a joy... I love your NSV! and adore our friendship.. you totally are rocking and making it all happen!! Proud of you!! wooohoooo to baggy clothes!!!!
  • misspatrice562
    misspatrice562 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    yay! love hearing stories like this. I know you feel great! Your hard work is paying off. Congrats! And I don't know if you are a fan of thrift stores but I've saved a TON of money by stopping by my local salvation army. I've gotten jeans for a few bucks and it allows me to buy new clothes but not waste too much. I'm saving the big dollars for shopping when I reach my goal. But I do buy new clothes and am a BIG fan of dresses. You get lots of wear out of them even after losing some pounds.

Congrats again! keep up the good work! :)
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    I like these kind of NSV. I can't wait until I have one lol
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Right on! Pretty soon you'll be giving those jeans away and shopping for some new ones. Too bad you can't rent clothes. It stinks buying new ones knowing full well that soon you'll be too small for those too. Well, it kinda stinks. It's kinda fun, too =)

Congrats!
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! I have on the same type pants you just described. Now I have saggy butt. But I learned my lesson... I keep the receipt and I try on things before the return policy expires. I feel like a clothing store... I have 4 different size pants in my closet.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome NSV! I do understand the frustration because I'm in the same boat. I've spent more money on clothing in the last 7 months then in the last 7 years probably, lol. I hated shopping before so I wasn't a big spender. Buying new clothing makes me feel good about my progress so I just buy a few key pieces that will allow me to mismatch and make multiple outfits.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Dream Theater! Oh, and congrats on your new body. :-)
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    The Only unsolicited oppinion I can suggest is that most clothes (like the ones sold in Old Navy) are made in so many different Countries and I truly believe the size charts are so different. For example, as you can see I am a Harley guy. That Means 99% of my casual Wardrobe consists of Harley Biker Shirts!!!! None are made in the US anymore. They are Made in China, Bangledesh, Indonisia, Jordan, vietnam, etc. I know I am a XXL shirt kinda guy. On occasion, I can't fit into an XXL. Sometimes it is XXL and Some times it is just XL.

If you have what I would call a Static Sized set of clothes, let them guide your NSV for a more realistic impression.

It does sound like you are accomplishing your goals thought! :)
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I say buy ALL clothes at second hand stores (except for shoes, undies & bras), because then you only spent a couple bucks & it doesn't hurt at all to throw/give it away when it gets stained or doesn't fit anymore. I occationally go get something new, but very rarely. At a thrift store, $20 dollars = a whole weeks worth of cute stuff.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! :)
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    first, CONGRATS!!

second, always aire on the side of "snug" because soon enough, they will fit. ;)

third, skirts! i bought a few denim skirts, can wear like jeans, and they are more forgiving to weight loss.

fourth, i do wander around the goodwill, but i don't like picking through stuff.... i'm too impatient. we have a place called Burke's outlet, and a Rugged wearhouse, both carry cheap (sometimes seconds) but overstocks and stuff, and try to snag my clothes there. a cute shirt for less than 10 bucks, and typically their jeans run about 12.00, so a few weeks worth of wear isn't so bad to pay for.

again congrats! i am always so frustrated about having the give up clothes, esp new ones, or my favorite ones. i held on to a pair of 18 shorts even when i (am) buying 12s pretty consistantly. i was in the yard with my daughter playing, and they FELL down. time to give them up, but i still hated too.
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to have such problems. Yay you!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    yay for you! see if it's cost-effective to get them taken in. if not, give 'em to charity or sell 'em on e-bay. you deserve to wear clothes that fit you!!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I am happy :laugh: and sad :sad: ..... for obvious reasons !

Maybe you've got a friend or family member who can use the jeans .... cuz soon you'll feel like you're wearing "clown clothes" ..... and maybe that person has smaller clothes tucked away that would fit you, even if it's just temporary.

A few years back, I gave all my XL stuff to my mom ...... but then she got on a healthy kick, lost weight & gave all those clothes away. A year later I was giving all my LARGE items to a neighbor's daughter. This year I'll be donating the MEDIUMS to the thrift shop, because my boss just bought us new scrubs & I am fitting into size SMALL !

Love this trickle-down effect :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!