Anyone bloated from all the water intake?

Options
Im trying to drink my 8 glasses a day but after 2 x 500ml bottles i feel like im going to burst!

I feel sluggish, heavy and full to the brim.

Does anyone else feel the same with lots of water?

Replies

• Kipperdog123
    Options
    Drink green tea- it's a natural diuretic, and it burns some calories to boot!
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    I drink 4-6 32oz cups daily, and it seems like I am holding water, even with reduced sodium intake. Also, right now anyway, it seem to be coming out as soon as I drink it. I know it's old fluid coming out but I wonder how long it takes to even out. I feel bloated as well.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Fraid not......it leaves as quick as I drink it......
  • peacheznlace
    peacheznlace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that way back when I first started to drink 8 glasses of water (or close to it). After a short while (maybe a week) my body got used to it ahd haven't felt bloated off water since. I did notice though that I got bloated for a good 6 hours shortly after consuming a home-made smoothie a few days ago. I usually don't eat that much fruits in one setting so that most likely would've been the culprit.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nope I find that I pee most of it out and cardio kills the reset of it. I'm always thirsty now.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how quickly you drink it. Your body can only process a certain amount of water at a time. I drink 12-16 8oz glasses a day and don't feel bloated.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I keep one of those insulated plastic cups going all day with ice water. If I drink something else, I just set it to the side, then get back to it. I've been doing this for months (traded my usual coffee thermos for the water cup in January). I fill it up 3-4 times per day.

I never feel bloated, but I think it's because I sip on the water throughout the day, rather than having large amounts of water at any given time.

Maybe try to find a cup that you love and carry it around with you.
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    Are you spacing out the 2 x 500ml bottles or drinking them quite quickly? That could account for the bloaty feeling. I usually drink about 3-4l a day and feel fine.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Fraid not......it leaves as quick as I drink it......

Indeed, I'm considering adding the running to the bathroom to my exercise count :smile:
  • jcharlotte
    jcharlotte Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if water has made me bloated before, however I have noticed a huge difference lately..I haven't had a lot of bread or carbs..you know cereal and stuff...I've had eggs for breakfast, and I have a flat stomach..now...I feel really good...not on purpose though just a change up...more energy too:)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If your eating a lot of sodium you will fill bloated, tried to view your diary but it wasn't public. When I first started here I didn't worry about the sodium and I was bloated even though I was losing weight. Once I watched the sodium it went away except for the days I have too much.
  • handle123
    handle123 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I drink the water steadily through out the day, i drank the first bottle quite quick this morning ( in about half an hour) as i was hot and thirsty but usually the 2 bottles are while im at work ( withih 8hrs) then ill have 1-2 bottles at the gym and after.

I go to the toilet alot aswell, i counted yesterday 11 times between 0630 and 12pm - sorry i know thats a bit too much info but its just to show it does exit alot too! lol

i have made my diary public now gatorginger, i had a blow out last week and was a bit embarrassed so i hid it!

by sodium do you mean salt, i do take alot of salt especially with my eggs in the morning, i think next week ill cut out all extra salt and see if it makes a difference.

thanks for all the advise, ill take them all on board.

Jen
  • handle123
    handle123 Posts: 62
    Options
    Drink green tea- it's a natural diuretic, and it burns some calories to boot!

ill give that a go thanks!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    No i'm bloated because of the heat!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I work in a dental office and we always tell patients to stay away from green tea because it stains the teeth really bad.
    I have never had it but will think about it if it is good for me.
    What is everyone's opinion of green tea?
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to post this; most people on MFP consider water intake to be almost as important as religion. Personally, I drink when I'm thirsty. I read this article on mercola.com; you may or may not agree with it, but it will give you something to think about.

The Problem With Drinking Too Much During Exercise

According to a survey by Loyal University researchers, over 36 percent of runners drink according to a preset schedule or to maintain a certain body weight.ii Another 9 percent drink as much as they can during races. These runners are choosing to ignore their body’s thirst mechanism and instead use other methods to dictate their water consumption, which they believe, mistakenly, to be superior.

Many buy into this belief, and health agencies and sports drinks advertisers have been spouting the misinformation for years. But as the Loyola researchers noted:iii

“These beliefs are frequently based on misconceptions about basic exercise physiology.”

Overhydrating will actually worsen athletic performance, not improve it. As you begin to consume too much water, your cells will start to swell, leading to such symptoms as gastrointestinal upset, dizziness, soreness and others. In severe cases, the sodium levels in your blood may drop to dangerously low levels, causing hyponatremia -- a condition in which your cells swell with too much water. While most of your body's cells can handle this swelling, your brain cells cannot, and most of the symptoms are caused by brain swelling.

This condition is most common among athletes, although anyone can be affected by drinking excessive amounts of water. Dr. Noakes explained:iv

“The brain swells, and because it is in a rigid skull, it cannot swell very much. The more it swells, the more pressure, and that eventually squeezes the arteries supplying blood to the brain. Ultimately, there is less oxygen getting to the brain, and certain parts become damaged. Once it affects your breathing centers, then you’re in real trouble, because it stops breathing, and that is essentially irreversible.”

Your Body is Designed to Tell You When to Drink

According to Dr. Noakes, the first drinking guidelines put out by The American College of Sports Medicine said that runners should “drink regularly during exercise,” which is fair advice. But then an individual working for the U.S. military published a paper saying that U.S. soldiers should drink 64 ounces of water per hour in order to improve performance.

Though the paper was not based on concrete evidence, it was widely embraced by the military, and then filtered through to the American College of Sports Medicine’s guidelines for runners. Today ACSM still recommends drinking “ahead of thirst,” a move that Dr. Noakes says “impairs exercise performance.” He uses the example of African hunters who were able to chase down an antelope for four to six hours in mid-day heat, without a source of fluids until after the hunt ended (when they would drink the animal’s blood and intestinal water). He continues:v

“Dehydration is not a disease, and it only has one symptom, and that is thirst. If you start to exercise, and you don’t drink, after a period of time, you will become thirsty—that’s your body’s way of telling you to drink.

The idea that you should drink ahead of thirst is absolutely nonsensical... why should humans be different from every other creature on earth to be told when and how to drink? The reality is you don’t need to be told when and how much to drink.

We have a 300 million year developed system that tells you with exquisite accuracy how much you need to drink and when you need to drink. It’s called thirst. If you rely on thirst you won’t ever become dehydrated, and you won’t also ever become overhydrated.”
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    yes I do and I swell. I was drinking pretty close to a gallon daily and swollen feet ankles and hands feeling miserable. Went to the Dr she said you want me to give you a diuretic to pull water off when you drink that much... why not decrease the intake... So I have done both. I know as an RN that you should only drink about 8-10 8 oz cups daily. or you can seriously deplete you sodium levels. So I have decreased back down again to about that on days when i am really thirsty I will drink more. I in gerneral dont drink anything else... I still do take an HCTZ daily tho. That swelling just wont go away :)
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I feel bloated if I try and drink eight, 8oz glasses, so I drink between 4-6 cups daily and my body seems to be fine with it, no bloating & not too many bathroom breaks :laugh: