What exactly is considered "clean" food?

13»

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Acg - do you consider straight wheat or other grains to be a sugar?

I'm not trying to argue for argument's sake here, or about how your body processes carbohydrates, or even the validity of cutting sugar out. I'm just saying that one of her rules is that the ingredient list not contain some form of sugar (assuming she means sugar, corn syrup, etc.), and that it's hardly restrictive.

What are some examples of polysaccharides?

the effing cellulose that was all over my packaged cheese crumbles last night! Nasty. lol.

I don't see how that applies to her simple, simple rule, though.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    I found a great magazine at my chiropractor's office called "Clean Eating." The foods in the recipes are generally fresh, grown w/o pesticides and are nutrient dense. Check out the magazine for yourself at http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    People use this term differently, but generally it refers to food as close to it's natural state as possible. The more processed a food, the less "clean".
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Acg - do you consider straight wheat or other grains to be a sugar?

I'm not trying to argue for argument's sake here, or about how your body processes carbohydrates, or even the validity of cutting sugar out. I'm just saying that one of her rules is that the ingredient list not contain some form of sugar (assuming she means sugar, corn syrup, etc.), and that it's hardly restrictive.

What are some examples of polysaccharides?

the effing cellulose that was all over my packaged cheese crumbles last night! Nasty. lol.

I don't see how that applies to her simple, simple rule, though.

Cognitive dissonance
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    I've been eating fruits, veggies, fish, eggs, chicken, turkey and nuts as a "clean" diet... Now that I have been doing it for a month its starting to seem pretty limiting as far as variety.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Your question go me thinking. I know what I consider clean, and I am attempting to eat cleaner. I am by no means 100%. I found this article I found interesting. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link here, so you will have to copy and paste if you would like to read it. http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    To me:

Lean proteins-chicken, fish, lean beef, lowfat dairy products, shellfish...etc.

WHOLE fruits and veggies. Juices don't get to count here.

Whole grains-even then in moderation

Nuts

Other fats and oils get a little tricky. You could say oils low in saturated fats, but oils like vegetable oils (soybean) have undesireable omega 3/6/9 ratios and are not ideal. Other oils may be high in saturated fats (palm and coconut) but the saturated fats are largely medium chain triglycerides which are very easy for your body to use as energy and don't contribute to all the nasty things saturated fats get blamed for.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    I've actually never seen an ingredient list on produce or meat. Do yours have them?

Bread is flour, water, salt and yeast. Pasta is flour, egg, oil, and salt. (though flour is iffy if you want to get real strict - it's not really one ingredient itself)

Oatmeal ingredient list: rolled oats

Rice ingredient list: rice

Mixed nuts Ingredients: PEANUTS, ALMONDS, CASHEWS, BRAZIL NUTS, HAZELNUTS (FILBERTS), PECANS, PEANUT AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, SEA SALT. Or go crazy and get the bags of raw nuts.

??
    However rolled oats ARE processed, so some people don't consider them clean. They only consider steel oats clean. As already stated, there really is no hard and fast rule.

I think if you are not (often) eating overly processed foods...and I think that's a much easier determination to make...you're doing good things for your body and mind.
  • shivouel
    shivouel Posts: 14
    Alrighty... So that's about what I figured, just thought I would get extra input just in case.

Also, I enjoyed the little internet tiff going on there xD

Thanks guys and gals! :)
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Thanks for this post and all the replies as I have seen different answers/opinions on it online and it can be confusing to me. :huh: