Overdue Introduction!

Options
Hello everybody!
Some background info:
Male
Height: 5'1''
Starting weight: 147
Starting BMI: 27.8 (high end overweight)
Current weight 121
Current BMI: 22.9 (mid range normal)

I've using MFP for over a year now, but I haven't used to social aspect of it at all so far, but I figured now why not.
Ever since I could remember, I was overweight (except for a short period when I was 13), and it has always bothered me. I was always in between wanting to lose weight and then giving up and not caring about it. This has got pretty bad when I reached the height of my weight at 147 lbs which is rather a lot for a person of small frame like mine --I'm only 5'1''. That gave me an overweight BMI, but I just wanted to ignore that and pretend that everything was ok. I was in terrible shape back then. Yet the most terrible aspect as the amount of self loathing and disgust I felt towards myself. No, I wasn't obese, and I knew how to dress and make myself look slimmer, but when it came to facing myself in the mirror I just could take a look.
When I knew I was leaving my hometown and going to college out of state, I decided that it's time for a completely fresh start... time for a new me. I wanted to feel comfortable with myself, confident, and happy. Last summer, I began counting calories, being more aware of what I eat, controlling portions, and eliminating (for the most part) gluten from my diet. I also took up running (started as long aerobic walks) and continues yoga. The first couple of weeks were hard, but I once I got into a routine, the pounds just disappeared. By the end of the summer, I had lost about 12 pounds.
They say that weight-gain always has a psychological aspect, so once I left for school, it was time to face my demons. I was finally able to live my own life without the constant, overbearing supervision of my parents and constantly looking for their approval of my actions. More importantly, I was finally able to come out of the closet at a warm, accepting environment. Over the school year I've lost about 12 more pounds without really trying too hard (I just kept at my diet, which I don't even consider a diet anymore, and continued exercising).
This summer, I'm hoping to reach my final goal weight of 117!
Feel free to friend me and ask me questions.. I'm an open book.

Replies

• AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    Well I am here to motivate you! Feel free to add me!
  • chubbee08
    chubbee08 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I am only one month on MFP, dont actually have someone to motivate me. Let's cheers each other to reach our goal!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss. Like so many people here it is more than about dropping a few pounds. We are learning lots about ourselfves in the process.
    Good to hear from you, at last :drinker: