Can you change a recipe in the oven to the crockpot?

Options
I want to change this recipe to cook in the crockpot but I am not sure how to "roast" in a crockpot!?! If you have ideas or suggestions please reply... Thanks in advance!!!

Roasted Chicken
Ready in 2.5 hours

Ingredients:
•5 lb roaster chicken
•1 tsp sea salt
•2 tsp ground black pepper
•4 sprigs rosemary
•4 cloves garlic
•1 orange, halved
•1 lemon, halved
•4 slices of oranges or lemons (or combination of both)

What You'll Need:
•Wire rack
•Large roasting pan or a baking tray
•Aluminum foil

Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 375°F.
2.Wash the chicken and dry with paper towels. Coat the chicken with sea salt and pepper inside and out. Place rosemary and garlic under the skin. Squeeze half of lemon and orange all over the chicken. Cut remaining half of lemon into wedges and the orange into slices; use to fill the cavity.
3.Place bird breast-side up on a wire rack. Or, wrap bird loosely in foil and set in a roasting pan. Cook bird, breast-side up, for 40 minutes.
4.Flip bird, breast-side down, and cook for 40 more minutes. Finish roasting breast-side up for the remaining 30–40 minutes, or until the skin has browned.
5.Allow the bird to rest for 15–20 minutes before slicing, to allow the juices to settle.

How to check if it’s cooked:
If you have a meat thermometer, stick it in the thickest part of the thigh (don’t let it touch bone). If the temperature reads 180°F, it’s done. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, just wiggle the drumstick – it should move freely. But to be extra certain, insert a knife into the leg – the juices should run clear.

Nutrients per serving (3oz): Calories: 157, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1.4 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 75 mg, Sodium: 70 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 3 g, Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 25 g, Iron: 1.11 mg

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Roasted-Chicken.aspx

Replies

• myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    yes you could do this in the crock pot...it's just not going to be brown like it will be roasting it in the oven. Add all the ingredients just as you would to put in oven and then put in crock pot, put an inch or 2 of water in the crock pot, you don't want to put a whole lot I wouldnt think. And cook on low for 6-8 hours, checking occasionally to make sure you don't need more water. I wouldn't lift the lid any more than necessary so you will keep the moistness in the bird :)

Good luck!
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    yes you could do this in the crock pot...it's just not going to be brown like it will be roasting it in the oven. Add all the ingredients just as you would to put in oven and then put in crock pot, put an inch or 2 of water in the crock pot, you don't want to put a whole lot I wouldnt think. And cook on low for 6-8 hours, checking occasionally to make sure you don't need more water. I wouldn't lift the lid any more than necessary so you will keep the moistness in the bird :)

Good luck!

I usually use water half way up. specially if your adding potatoes or other things.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Thanks... there won't be anything in the crockpot other than the chicken and the ingredients listed for seasoning. :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Quick additional question... Do you need to set the chicken on something so it is not in the water while it cooks? Or do you just sit it in the water?

Thanks again!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you are not adding veggies, you could set the chicken on the fruit called for in your recipe instead of stuffing them inside or you could use a bed of chopped onion. You could also just add a small amount of water and lay the chicken right on the bottom. Just a word of advice for anyone who wants to roast a whole chicken in a crock pot, if you plan to add veggies along with the chicken, you should skin the chicken first if you are concerned about added fat. The chicken skin creates a lot of fat and it will leave your veggies really greasy. The same is true for oven roasting ;)
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    If you are not adding veggies, you could set the chicken on the fruit called for in your recipe instead of stuffing them inside or you could use a bed of chopped onion. You could also just add a small amount of water and lay the chicken right on the bottom. Just a word of advice for anyone who wants to roast a whole chicken in a crock pot, if you plan to add veggies along with the chicken, you should skin the chicken first if you are concerned about added fat. The chicken skin creates a lot of fat and it will leave your veggies really greasy. The same is true for oven roasting ;)

This is excellent advice!!! Thanks a bunch!!! I wasn't planning on using the skin after it cooked so I might try that :wink: