Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Heading to College in the Fall...any ideas?

2»

Replies

• chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    You are going to have so much fun! To reiterate what some others have said:

Use the university gym. This will probably be a great place to meet some new girlfriends in addition to getting your exercise in.

Make smart choices in the cafeteria. They usually have salad bars and the soda fountains usually have a water option. There will be so many options for crap, just try to control your portions and make the best of what is offered. Grab a piece of fruit. And I second the suggestion to make friends with the cafeteria workers. Trust me, just being polite and saying please and thank you goes a long way. They remember!

If you can afford a mini fridge get one and keep it stocked with water and healthy snack options. Veggies and hummus, yogurt, fruit, etc. And if there is a bulk store nearby maybe get stocked up on some non-persihables. No Easy Mac, just get some healthy granola bars that you can throw in your bag for snacks on the go, maybe some healthy soups, healthy cereal. If you will sometimes eat dinner at work try to bring your own healthy dinner. If you're working in a mall or something the food court will be convenient but expensive and not very healthy.

Let's be honest. there will be alcohol. Don't drink anything that you did not get yourself - pour your own beer if you drink it, mix your own cocktail if you have one of those, if you're in a bar you get your own drink directly from the bartender. Stay away from things like "Jungle Juice" or any other concoction served out of a large bowl, laundry baket, garbage can or whatever. You don't know what is in them and there could be much worse stuff than calories. That was your PSA (I worry!). So, aside from the obvious dangers of over-indulging, there are also calories. Then you'll all think it's an awesome idea to get pizza or wings or whatever and eat them at 2 AM. Try to avoid that. If you feel like you need something to soak up the booze before you go to sleep eat something healthier and have a big glass of water. So it's just like regular life: portion control and smart decisions. Have one drink if you're going to indulge and then drink a big glass of water. Have a slice of pizze if you're going to go in on a pizza with friends. You'll want to be social, and that's totally normal, just don't get sloppy.

Have a great time!
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    I almost forgot my number one dorm tip - and it has nothing to do with fitness. Before I left my aunt gave me a small tool kit and said, "Trust me. Bring it with you - by the end of move-in day you'll know half the people on your floor because word will get around that you're the girl with the hammer and screwdriver." I was skeptical but she was totally right. Bring a small tool kit with a hammer, screwdriver, and some nails, screws, and tacks. You're guaranteed to need it for something and odds are most of the other students won't have those. You will meet a bunch of people!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Thanks for the advice, everybody!!! I'll definitely put it to good use!!! :D