How important is it to switch up your workouts ??

Options
Hi everyone !! I'm new to MFP...just joined last night & I'm loving it already :-) My question is about switching up workouts...is it really that important ? And do I need to switch them up right from the start, or after a certain amount of time ? It isn't a problem at all because I have a nice collection to choose from, which have been collecting dust until now, lol. Anyway, sorry for all of the questions, I just really want to get this right !!

Replies

• blessingsx2
    blessingsx2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump....cuz I would like to know as well!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Over time your body will adapt to any workout you do and get more efficient and yeild lower results. Periodically, you want to do one of 2 things. Change the routine or up the intensity. Eg. if you are a runner or cyclist, increase speed goals and distance goals. If you lift, increase intensity (weight on the bar). You can also do different kinds of routines eg, switch from Zumba to plyometrics etc.

It's not critical when you start as, well, you are just starting. You will show benefit with any activity going from an untrained to a trained state. Some recommend evaluating your routine every 6 weeks. I cycle and lift weight primarily. I do the same full body, compound weight lifting routine but I increase intensity every week. I can do this until I max out and can't increase weight anymore. Then, it's time for a new routine.

With my cycling, I am always looking to increase my overall speed per mile eg. move from 12.5 mph avg speed to 13 mph avg. speed. Sometimes I ride a flatter course and my focus is on speed. Sometimes I ride a course with more elevation change and my focus is on hitting the hills hard and develping the leg muscles.

So switch up when results are harder to come by. It doesn't hurt from the begining to have 2 different workouts. 1 focused on building strength and 1 focused on aerobic work for cardio health.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ^----Agree.

Also, To really get the fat burning going, Try doing some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for 20 minutes/ 3 days a week. It can be MUCH more effective than 30 minutes a day 6 days a week of a moderately paced cardio workout. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Over time your body will adapt to any workout you do and get more efficient and yeild lower results. Periodically, you want to do one of 2 things. Change the routine or up the intensity. Eg. if you are a runner or cyclist, increase speed goals and distance goals. If you lift, increase intensity (weight on the bar). You can also do different kinds of routines eg, switch from Zumba to plyometrics etc.

It's not critical when you start as, well, you are just starting. You will show benefit with any activity going from an untrained to a trained state. Some recommend evaluating your routine every 6 weeks. I cycle and lift weight primarily. I do the same full body, compound weight lifting routine but I increase intensity every week. I can do this until I max out and can't increase weight anymore. Then, it's time for a new routine.

With my cycling, I am always looking to increase my overall speed per mile eg. move from 12.5 mph avg speed to 13 mph avg. speed. Sometimes I ride a flatter course and my focus is on speed. Sometimes I ride a course with more elevation change and my focus is on hitting the hills hard and develping the leg muscles.

So switch up when results are harder to come by. It doesn't hurt from the begining to have 2 different workouts. 1 focused on building strength and 1 focused on aerobic work for cardio health.

^^good advice
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Great advice
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

So switch up when results are harder to come by. It doesn't hurt from the begining to have 2 different workouts. 1 focused on building strength and 1 focused on aerobic work for cardio health. With my cycling, I am always looking to increase my overall speed per mile eg. move from 12.5 mph avg speed to 13 mph avg. speed. Sometimes I ride a flatter course and my focus is on speed. Sometimes I ride a course with more elevation change and my focus is on hitting the hills hard and develping the leg muscles.

^^^^Yep this guy is spot on!!!! Also the suggestion of incorporating HIIT's in your workout is a great idea too!! You can find a ton of suggestions and routines on youtube and Pinterest for HIIT's.
  • SalsaPepper
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you all so much for your replies !! I will definitely take this advice & I do have the Turbo Fire set which includes a few HIIT workouts so I'll add those a few times a week. Thank you all again :-)