OMG Ya'll. Still not Losing.

Replies

• Schmetterling14
    Schmetterling14 Posts: 35 Member
    I didn't have time to read all posts, but in my skimming I didn't see a suggestion abo taking your measurements too. Been doing this for several weeks, and to date, only lost one pound. HOWEVER, I have lost an inch on waist and upper arm, and half an inch on thigh, bust, and hips. I got totally down on myself 'til I checked measurements. Now I'm happy with the results.

After all, we want to look good and feel good. The exact numbers on the scale don't matter.

Good luck! You're doing great!
    :smile:
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Don't try upping your calories until you are sure you are consuming what you say you are. Are you weighing/measuring your food or just guesstimating? You could be underestimating your portion sizes.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    You need to eat breakfast, coffee alone is not good enough. Poptarts are not a good choice. You need to cut back on the chinese food and desserts. Drink diet soda if you must drink soda.
    Some people don't like eating breakfast. Eating breakfast or not doesn't affect weight loss.

Actually eating breakfast can affect weight loss. When you eat within a half hour of waking up it jump starts your metabolism, which can influence the amount of calories you burn in a day. Waiting until lunch or later leaves your metabolism asleep, and so the amount of calories burned drops. You certainly don't have to have a huge meal. Even a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, or some greek yogurt w/ honey or granola can do the trick. Definitely worth trying. Good luck!
  • I would suggest drinking more water.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    you're not hitting your calorie target.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I think you mean your TDEE is 2300 (Total Daily Expenditure). BMR is the number of calories needed to run your organs and keep you alive. You can find your BMR using the tools on this site.

I suggest you find your BMR and remember to make that your MINIMUM calorie intake. Your TDEE is your MAXIMUM calorie intake.

You need a deficit of 500 calories a day for 1 pound of weight loss in a week. 750 calorie deficit for the 1.5 pound a week you are looking for. If this deficit cannot be made through diet alone (meaning TDEE is not 750+ more than BMR), you will need to add exercise daily to up the expenditure.

Also, remember, water weight is just fine, some weeks maybe you weigh more in WATER (this will not show up on appearance). You're after FAT loss more so than WEIGHT loss right? :)

Actually, RMR is the amount of energy you need to run you're organs.

To the OP, find your TDEE. Set your calorie goal 300 - 500 calories below it. Eat more protein and fiber, make sure your sodium and potassium are roughly equal, and be sure that your fat intake is mostly from monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Get a pedometer and attempt to get 10,000 steps in a day.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Try dropping the sugar. Limit it, you're getting a lot of your sugar from processed sources.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member

--Log EVERYTHING Mon-Fri

Joe??? What happened to Sat and Sun??
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Wow. This post has the worst advice I have ever seen on MFP or any fitness site. WOW. I don't knwo what to say except that there is more better info here on other posts. This one is wrong in almost every respect. But, to avoid arguing, I'd just say, go look at other posts that discuss this exact same topic. Should be easy since it's discussed almost everyday.

The info here is pretty horrible though. I wouldn't follow it. Up to you though.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Well since it coveres both sides of the coin one of the two has to be right ;)
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    You need to eat breakfast, coffee alone is not good enough. Poptarts are not a good choice. You need to cut back on the chinese food and desserts. Drink diet soda if you must drink soda.
    Some people don't like eating breakfast. Eating breakfast or not doesn't affect weight loss.

Actually eating breakfast can affect weight loss. When you eat within a half hour of waking up it jump starts your metabolism, which can influence the amount of calories you burn in a day. Waiting until lunch or later leaves your metabolism asleep, and so the amount of calories burned drops. You certainly don't have to have a huge meal. Even a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, or some greek yogurt w/ honey or granola can do the trick. Definitely worth trying. Good luck!

Not to be a reference freak, because I recognize that this can be irritating to see a random web address posted in a thread, but can you pleases provide some support for this answer? It directly contradicts most articles and studies I have read. Not to say that frequency of meal has no role to play in fitness... There are reasons why weightlifters spread their protein intake, etc.... But as to the impact on weight loss, repeatedly studies find no relationship to the frequency or timing of meals and actual loss when caloric intake is controlled - so frequency only matters in how it may impact an individual's propensity to eat calories or maintain their diet... This isn't just harmeless misinformation in my opinion.... If someone really dislikes breakfast, or finds it difficult, they may feel disheartened and feel like they can't be successful in their diet, when in fact they are worried over something that really does not matter.... I'd hate to see the OP feel frustration over failing to eat breakfast if it traditionally isn't comfortable for her.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member

Not to be a reference freak, because I recognize that this can be irritating to see a random web address posted in a thread, but can you pleases provide some support for this answer? It directly contradicts most articles and studies I have read. Not to say that frequency of meal has no role to play in fitness... There are reasons why weightlifters spread their protein intake, etc.... But as to the impact on weight loss, repeatedly studies find no relationship to the frequency or timing of meals and actual loss when caloric intake is controlled - so frequency only matters in how it may impact an individual's propensity to eat calories or maintain their diet... This isn't just harmeless misinformation in my opinion.... If someone really dislikes breakfast, or finds it difficult, they may feel disheartened and feel like they can't be successful in their diet, when in fact they are worried over something that really does not matter.... I'd hate to see the OP feel frustration over failing to eat breakfast if it traditionally isn't comfortable for her.

Well, skipping breakfast isn't going to sabotage any and all weight loss. I wasn't trying to imply that, and I apologize if I did. I don't have a website to source. I work in a medical clinic that offers a weight loss program for our patients, and along with getting people started on the program, I also participate in it myself. I have lost a total of 40lbs, and the providers here specialize in fitness and health. I use MFP to track calories and exercise, and also to break the plateau I've hit. Anyway, to make a long post semi-short, one of the first things they have a patient do is record what they eat BEFORE making any changes- for three days. I was in the habit of eating much later in the day to begin with, and it was explained to me, and other patients, that skipping breakfast is a no-no. While you can still lose weight by exercising and making healthier eating choices (and watching caloric intake), getting that first meal in can make a difference in how fast you may see results. I noticed if I didn't eat right away, I didn't feel hungry until much later in the day, hence my late "breakfast" habit. If I ate within a half hour of waking, I was hungry again much sooner. That's because my metabolism was working, because I had gave it a rev by eating in the morning right away.

It certainly make a big difference for me, and I see it work for patients all the time. Everyone is different, though, so nothing is law.

Again, good luck!
  • You may not see a change on the scale due to working out. When you work out your fat turns to muscle and muscle weighs more than fat does. Just keep up the good work and weigh yourself once a week but don't get discouraged unless you've been keeping a well balanced diet and exercise for about 3 months and then see no results. Good Luck and keep up the good work
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    So I've been doing MFP for a little over 3 weeks. I've been doing pretty well. Getting my workouts in, and staying under my calorie intake. The first week, I lost 2 pounds. And I thought that was great! But then I decided I'd like to lose 1.5 pounds (recommended by MFP) so I lowered my calories. Now I'm not losing ANYTHING! I think I went over on my cals one day, but that was it! So, now I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough/too much. My BMR is 2300 and I'm eating about 1590, if not less. Anything would be a great help :D

you might be taking in too many carbs. Try a new set of percentages... like 35% pro 40% carb and 25% fat Adjusting your carb intake could be the issue. Remember that healthy fats are good for you..very good for brain function (depression...healthy fats make you happy!)
  • whitchy_pooh
    whitchy_pooh Posts: 23 Member
    I think you mean your TDEE is 2300 (Total Daily Expenditure). BMR is the number of calories needed to run your organs and keep you alive. You can find your BMR using the tools on this site.

I suggest you find your BMR and remember to make that your MINIMUM calorie intake. Your TDEE is your MAXIMUM calorie intake.

So what happenes if we do not eat what our BMR number is?
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    ^^^ you're pretty much depriving yourself of nutrients that your body needs in order to function.

You can also crash your metabolism eating less.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Do we REALLY need to bump threads that are one year old? There are enough threads about this already...
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Stay calm. Don't change anything. Let your body adjust.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    put h e thing back to where u had it
    so the goal is 1 pound a week
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Aside from all the medical journal quoting and what not going on in this thread, the main question is... if you can still lose weight, by eating more than your BMR, why wouldn't you?