Reached my Goal - Maintenance Advice

Options
Chagama
Chagama Posts: 543 Member
I reached my goal this morning, 50 lbs lost since Jan 1.

I'm looking for advice on Maintenance. What have you found to work well? What doesn't?

An MFP friend described Maintenance as gaining and losing the same 4 or 5 lbs over and over again. Is that what any of you have found? If so, does it make sense to try and take off another couple of pounds so that the little bit of up and down is centered around my goal weight, instead of always being a little bit above it?

Any insight and advice is welcome.

Replies

• SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm now in maintenance stage and I can atest to losing the same 2-3lbs over and over. I keep my calories at a 1/2lb loss per week to allow for those stubborn 2-3lbs and I have my cheat day. I also don't work out *as* much as I did a few months ago. So far I am getting more toned...but have not lost anymore weight. I'm pretty happy with my settings now.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I'd suggest finding your TDEE and eating that (this is my go-to calculator! http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced)
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Your determination, positive attitude, and encouragement are commendable. Throughout the time I've "known" you here on MFP, you have been someone who's efforts have motivated me, simply by your example.

Thanks for being my MFP bud, and congratulations! Best of luck with your continued fitness!
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stay on MFP and keep monitoring your intake. Or come back to it if you gain a few pounds. Don't abandon what has proven to be so successful for you! Congratulations, too - well done!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm not planning on leaving MFP, I've been successful with it and intend to continue using it during maintenance. I just assume that I'll need a slightly different outlook and approach to maintain.
  • ndmain1977
    ndmain1977 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was curious about something with maintenence as well, although I'm a bit away from it.

Do you slowly work yourself up to eating more, to meet your maintenance calory goals, or is it something you just begin doing immediately.

What I mean, is if you're loss calories are 1800, but your maintenance calories are 2500, I can't imagine that you just immediately begin eating 2500 calories the day after you meet your goal.

Maybe I'm wrong.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance since March, when I reached my goal weight of 109 (I'm only 4' 11"). Right now I currently weigh 107. I've gone down as low as 106 and as high as 109 in this time period, so yes, my weight does fluctuate a few pounds.

I had my calories set to what MFP recommends as maintenance for me, but I was still super hungry, so I increased them. They are currently set at 1706 per day, plus I eat back most of my exercise calories.

Hope this helps a bit! :)
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Luckily I'm almost in the same boat!! 3 more lbs to go! Thanks for asking OP, I'm going to need to know this soon!
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I just don't see the back and forth thing. I eat around 1570 calories and I have been at almost (give or take 1 pound) for over 2 months.
  • mangohead100
    Options
    I'm also interested in any advice here about how to transition from 'weight loss' to 'maintenance' in terms of calorie intake.
    Is it better to go straight into the 'maintenance caloric intake' or add a bit a day and see how my body responds?
  • Maagrie
    Maagrie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been at my "goal" for about two months now. The 5 pounds up and down scenario is what I'm finding. I tend to eat a bit more liberally on the weekends and more structured during the week. So far, I feel good with what I've been doing. I log every day, don't stop being aware of what you are eating.

Congratulations and Good Luck!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would recommend setting a number on your scale that you will NEVER go above again, maybe 5 lbs over your goal. That way you can fluxuate, but the day you see that number on the scale, you do something about it. This avoids the slipperly slope or thoughts that it's just this or that or a bad day, and then that multiples into a week or two. But that was how we all got there in the first place, wasn't it?? Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!