Do you give yourself rewards for losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I was going to reward myself for doing my first 5k with a pedicure. However, I had to buy new shorts because mine wouldn't stay up. The best thing is that I bought them 4 sizes smaller than when I started on MFP. Major morale booster.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Don't really understand the concept. Maybe because I just wasn't raised this way.

I have a goal. I reach the goal. That makes me happy, proud, and eager to meet another goal. Reaching the goal IS the reward BECAUSE IT'S SOMETHING I WANT.

I reward my dog with a treat when she follows a command. That strategy makes sense because she doesn't really want to do the command. What she really wants is the treat. So she goes through the motions to get me to give her the treat. This is a totally different problem, strategy, & situation than an adult who honestly wants to improve their health or quality of life.

But do whatever works for you and makes you happy.

I agree with this.

The benefits of losing fat is the only reward I need.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't really understand the concept. Maybe because I just wasn't raised this way.

I have a goal. I reach the goal. That makes me happy, proud, and eager to meet another goal. Reaching the goal IS the reward BECAUSE IT'S SOMETHING I WANT.

I reward my dog with a treat when she follows a command. That strategy makes sense because she doesn't really want to do the command. What she really wants is the treat. So she goes through the motions to get me to give her the treat. This is a totally different problem, strategy, & situation than an adult who honestly wants to improve their health or quality of life.

But do whatever works for you and makes you happy.
    ^^^ THIS^^^ :) I just look in the mirror and say woohoo! Lol.
    Yeah, it is nice if you are intrinsically motivated, but I am not:happy:

That's fine. If you happen to need something external to get things going- and it works for you- great!

Ultimately, though, it easier and works much better (especially over the long term) to really want something for specific personal reasons. That doesn't always come naturally. Reflection and soul searching are usually required.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am so buying myself a Nexus 7 tablet ( for continued MFP tracking! ) when I reach my halfway mark...
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Clothes-summer clothes. Fall clothes, Winter Clothes. Can you tell I like clothes? :)
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have 2 goal oriented items

Goal 1 - When I get under 200 lbs I am going to take a fencing class. I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to fence but I never did.

Goal 2 - When I get to the goal weight set for me by my gym when I joined (which was 166 I believe) I am going to get a new bike. Once that actually fits my frame as stamdard bikes are too high for me. I have short legs and standard bikes suck for me big time.

I haven't really thought beyond that. I still have clothes from before I went up so much so no new clothes for me except for the ocasional top.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I don't have any plans on rewarding myself for weight loss.. I think the weight loss is reward enough! I do, however, plan on donating ALL of my clothes and starting over (major shopping spree!) once I reach my goal weight. :)
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I really like that charm bracelet idea!